The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ares Koch

Reaction score
Gain-wise? Yeah, for sure. You really need that much horsepower, though?
They have an 100 W head and a 15 watt head so. And the 15 Has Way less controls in the hundred watt does. But I think the 100 Watt can go down to 50

assaf110

Reaction score
They also have 40 that can do 20. And 100's controls. :)
you can always use as a head, or even get a head cab for the 40.

nevermind

Reaction score
My DSL40CV conversion to head will be ready this weekend !!!

Congrats! Just got my extra-width Theile cabinet from TRM Guitar Cabinets and fired it up. For now, it is the DSL Combo with a Chinese Celestion Vintage 30 on the top and an USA Emminence Swamp Thang on the bottom. Haven't quite figured out how it will be finished yet or what color or texture of grill cloth to use.

The most important thing right now is there is sound coming out of it! stack.jpg

Last edited:

nevermind

Reaction score
Here's hoping it is a great sound!
So far, with just the V30, I can get all the punchy, gritty, tight gain I want. Adding the Thiele added LOTS of girth. Dial in your gain level, add volume to taste and you have a nice solid thump and well-defined, edgy distortion. The only drawback so far is the sound level. It's quite loud!!!!!

I have been playing around with running the volume much lower and using a TS9 tube screamer and a Boss GE7 EQ pedal. Both are shaping up to be viable options for maintaining all the texture, whilst preserving my ears and some semblance of peace with the neighbors.

I hope to see good reports about your new setup!!!

Last edited:

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
Congrats! Just got my extra-width Theile cabinet from TRM Guitar Cabinets and fired it up. For now, it is the DSL Combo with a Chinese V30 on the top and an Emminence Swamp Thang on the bottom. Haven't figured out how it will be finished yet or what kind of grill cloth to use... Important thing right now is there is sound coming out of it! View attachment 43151

I've been pretty happy with my added cab from Seismic Audio, really adds a lot of depth to the tone. I bought a 2nd cab to keep at home or for when i convert my combo to a head I can stack the two 1x12's!

full

rlowe

Reaction score
I have the Marshall dsl40c with the Marshall mx1x12 cab ext. sitting on top. For night practice I use my Marshall dsl5c which sounds great except I have to use headphones. The headphones I use have been in the $100.00 range, and currently I use $100.00 Marshall headphones. The sound quality of course is not like an open 12" speaker would sound. Definitely needs a quality boost. Does anyone have any experience, or any suggestions as to a good set of headphones that will replicate an open speaker sound? Thanks

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Thank you and I hope the same for your new set up! Pics please!

Ask and ye shall receive lol. Perhaps the first pics of a DSL40CV head ever!! lol You saw it here first !!!
Just got it back to day from my tech ( Chester V) and am over joyed with the results.
What a fine piece of work.
This is part one of "The Project" which is why the amp is currently sitting on a Blackheart 1x12 cab (closed back ) loaded with an Eminence Red,White & Blues.
Next part will be 2 x 12 cabs fit to the dims of the head.
Sounds excellent but am not used to the closed back sound, of course being used to the combo.
For the 2 x 12 will do one closed and one open I'm thinking.
Speakers yet to be decided.
BP

Attachments

• CIMG0242.JPG
    CIMG0242.JPG
    707 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Ask and ye shall receive lol. Perhaps the first pics of a DSL40CV head ever!! lol You saw it here first !!!
Just got it back to day from my tech ( Chester V) and am over joyed with the results.
This is part one of "The Project" which is why the amp is currently sitting on a Blackheart 1x12 cab (closed back ) loaded with an Eminence Red,White & Blues.
Sounds excellent but am not used to the closed back sound, of course being used to the combo.
BP
View attachment 43167

Attachments

• CIMG0243.jpg
    CIMG0243.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
I have the Marshall dsl40c with the Marshall mx1x12 cab ext. sitting on top. For night practice I use my Marshall dsl5c which sounds great except I have to use headphones. The headphones I use have been in the $100.00 range, and currently I use $100.00 Marshall headphones. The sound quality of course is not like an open 12" speaker would sound. Definitely needs a quality boost. Does anyone have any experience, or any suggestions as to a good set of headphones that will replicate an open speaker sound? Thanks
Are your headphones open or closed back? That makes a big difference in your perception of "space" around the sound.

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
BP
Very cool BP!
I like closed-back for high gain metal kind of stuff because the bass stays tighter, but for classic rock I actually prefer open back, fills the room and sounds bigger, but at the expense of a looser bottom end. Closed back tends to focus the sound into a narrower cone and usually only sounds best if you're listening from within that cone. If you're going 2x12, parallel vs series wiring makes a subtle difference too.