The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KraftyBob

Reaction score
For me, I even haven't tried clocking the volume past 4 and the gain past 3 for Ch1 Clean. I still live in a quiet zone and will be transferring to a bigger apartment soon. I'm very excited to unleash the DSL40C beast tones there. I've read that it pours sweet juices once cranked up.
In my neighborhood our houses are on 1 1/2 acres so being too loud for neighbors is not a problem (I think - they never say anything and I don’t ask). With that the volume in my amp is inversely proportionate to the number of people in my house :). So as the population drops to one (me) the volume in my DSL goes up to 5 - which is crazy loud.

This is a good sounding amp at bedroom levels, but man does this thing come to life when it’s pushed - like hammer pounding you in the head. That’s a good thing :). Just wait - you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
In my neighborhood our houses are on 1 1/2 acres so being too loud for neighbors is not a problem (I think - they never say anything and I don’t ask). With that the volume in my amp is inversely proportionate to the number of people in my house :). So as the population drops to one (me) the volume in my DSL goes up to 5 - which is crazy loud.

This is a good sounding amp at bedroom levels, but man does this thing come to life when it’s pushed - like hammer pounding you in the head. That’s a good thing :). Just wait - you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
I can certainly relate to that, I love mine at 5, but with the SD1 and volume at 2 is damm good as well, this is where I am at all the time :cheers:

KraftyBob

Reaction score
I can certainly relate to that, I love mine at 5, but with the SD1 and volume at 2 is damm good as well, this is where I am at all the time :cheers:
So your volume is at 2 when you play with your grandson? Sweet! I have yet to play with a drummer with my amp and I was wondering where it would end up volume-wise. Good to know.

Very cool that you and your grandson play together. My 16 y.o. daughter asked for an Alesis electric drum set for Christmas last year - which of course we bought. I’m trying to convince her to let me record her but she’s said she’s not ready yet. I’d like to get some drums on some tracks I want to record. Hopefully soon. Can’t think of anything better than this.

Last edited:

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
So your volume is at 2 when you play with your grandson? Sweet! I have yet to play with a drummer with my amp and I was wondering where it would end up volume-wise. Good to know.

Very cool that you and your grandson play together. My 16 y.o. daughter asked for an Alesia electric drum set for Christmas last year - which of course we bought. I’m trying to convince her to let me record her but she’s said she’s not ready yet. I’d like to get some drums on some tracks I want to record. Hopefully soon. Can’t think of anything better than this.
KB when I play with my grandson I am on 5, he hits harder than any drummer I have ever had the pleasure of playing with!! My volume at 2 is when I play by myself,that’s when I use the sd1

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
And yes it is a great time when I get to play with him, in the early 90’s, I use to play with my son, I have been very fortunate to be able to have done this, you and your daughter have a good long time to do the same , cherish every moment. You can thank me later!

BftGibson

Reaction score
For me, I even haven't tried clocking the volume past 4 and the gain past 3 for Ch1 Clean. I still live in a quiet zone and will be transferring to a bigger apartment soon. I'm very excited to unleash the DSL40C beast tones there. I've read that it pours sweet juices once cranked up.
i am fortunate to be able to play in bedroom, studio and band at same level..my master is dimed all the time and i use 20 watt dimed for messing around...makes for consistent sound wherever i play..and yes get el34 cooking..after 5 it comes alive...they arnt even the same amps..marshall mojo is in the volume

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Have anyone tried pulling off some Mesa Rectifier tones in the DSL40C? I know that this amp have distinct killer sound of its own but maybe someone have already tried it. Maybe like running some Mesa overdrive in the effects loop? Just curious because lots of the band I like to cover are using Rectifiers.
JNH when I first gave my grandson one of the 40c’s he had the eq set bass renosence Heavy like,8-9 on the dial with the tone shift in, mids treble presence at 4-3 and you had to be careful not to get muddy, but to my ears it had a mesa vibe going on! YMMV:band:

StratMatt

Reaction score
Just got a brand new DSL40cr, major problem though, the volume discrepancy between clean & crunch is ridiculous. Is it just my amp, or, has anyone else suffered this?

Julien Neverheard

Reaction score
JNH when I first gave my grandson one of the 40c’s he had the eq set bass renosence Heavy like,8-9 on the dial with the tone shift in, mids treble presence at 4-3 and you had to be careful not to get muddy, but to my ears it had a mesa vibe going on! YMMV:band:
Wow! Can't wait to dial Mesa tones in this beast. But of course, will find the best distinct tones this amp can make.

BftGibson

Reaction score
Just got a brand new DSL40cr, major problem though, the volume discrepancy between clean & crunch is ridiculous. Is it just my amp, or, has anyone else suffered this?
that is the only place i use a pedal..simply use a clean style boost(joyo sweet baby for me) use volume to make it even with other channels..prob solved ...

StratMatt

Reaction score
that is the only place i use a pedal..simply use a clean style boost(joyo sweet baby for me) use volume to make it even with other channels..prob solved ...
Thanks for the advice.
I managed to find a few posts relating to the volume issue, seems it’s not just me!
Real shame, as in the other modes I was getting some killer tones, but, I need a useable clean channel.
Going back to the shop tomorrow.

BftGibson

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.
I managed to find a few posts relating to the volume issue, seems it’s not just me!
Real shame, as in the other modes I was getting some killer tones, but, I need a useable clean channel.
Going back to the shop tomorrow.
i almost gave up on this amp causeof this..but this now is my main amp and i have a plexi,5150iii,jcm900..this dsl can do it all..the joyo sweet baby does not color the sound at all and the clean is really really good..enjoy man..you got a great amp...also use those pres & res knobs to really dial in your sound....we are in the studio now and my engineer is floored by this amp...every amp known to man is in the studio and we put this up against it...and it more than holds its own..it seems to have every classic marshall in it and also will touch on modern sounds...i am going to gig mine up and down the east cost at the end of the year...i am floored that i got all the sounds in 1 amp..almost thought i needed another to compliment...but i did spend 3 months learning it and putting other amps with it and dialing in similar sounds

StratMatt

Reaction score
i almost gave up on this amp causeof this..but this now is my main amp and i have a plexi,5150iii,jcm900..this dsl can do it all..the joyo sweet baby does not color the sound at all and the clean is really really good..enjoy man..you got a great amp...also use those pres & res knobs to really dial in your sound....we are in the studio now and my engineer is floored by this amp...every amp known to man is in the studio and we put this up against it...and it more than holds its own..it seems to have every classic marshall in it and also will touch on modern sounds...i am going to gig mine up and down the east cost at the end of the year...i am floored that i got all the sounds in 1 amp..almost thought i needed another to compliment...but i did spend 3 months learning it and putting other amps with it and dialing in similar sounds
I really appreciate your reply, but, I play in a covers band, and, having to kill a boost midsong when changing to crunch or OD, is just a step (!) too far. I really like the crunch mode, and OD1 sounds great right out the box, but I have to have a no nonsense clean option.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have the new CR version, you can easily set the MV's to wherever you need it and either use the extra footswitch or midi to switch.

BftGibson

Reaction score
If you have the new CR version, you can easily set the MV's to wherever you need it and either use the extra footswitch or midi to switch.
I really appreciate your reply, but, I play in a covers band, and, having to kill a boost midsong when changing to crunch or OD, is just a step (!) too far. I really like the crunch mode, and OD1 sounds great right out the box, but I have to have a no nonsense clean option.
you can assign the MV to compensate for that also, but i do understand your position. It is jus frustrating when that delay happens and with a vol drop off....if there was 1 weak point in this amp it is that. Sorta makes no sense that the clean(green) really is that low compared to red on same channel. But you can assign the MV to compensate.

StratMatt

Reaction score
I get what you’re saying, but that wipes out the usefulness of having a MV that can be set for solo boosts.
The amp is being returned to the retailer today.

jericbrazier

Reaction score
that L2 can get all kinds of sounds set right. Most players dismiss it as too saturated. And miss the gold.:flex::D
I play lead 2 with gain set at 11 o’clock. Both my main guitars have pretty hot humbuckers in them, and (with some volume) this setting really cooks. All my eq settings are hovering between 11 and 1, and presence at 9 o’clock and the resonance off.
Later today I’ll try the volume all the way up and gain as volume. Interested to hear the results.

Latest posts