The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ken361

Reaction score
Got the les Paul dialed in today,lowered the pole pieces on the 6th and 5th string on the bridge pup by one whole turn to give me a tad more bite and pintch harmonics. Lots of dynamic range on the probuckers! Even the clean channel was really nice and more so with the split coils wow! And loud too. The Ruby power tubes still strong at over a year old.I stand like 15 feet away to really hear the amp to see how it sounds bright or not.

Bownse

Reaction score
Sorry Micky - it's the new DSL40CR

From the manual: "32. EMULATED OUT Emulated line level output for headphones or connection to a mixer. The DSL is equipped with a high quality emulated output using Softube-designed studio cabinet emulation. This ensures that your headphone and output signal from this socket provide the best possible tone for practice or recording."

From seeing the phrase "headphones" there, I'm assuming it's a very low wattage TRS stereo output.

Not everyone in this thread will have CR experience. It's also an exceedingly long thread. That's why the thread here

http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/the-official-marshall-dsl40cr-information-thread.100006/

was started. Focused on the CR with what makes it unique and where people with CR experience can avoid assumptions.

Michaeld13

Reaction score
Hi all. Been a while since I've posted just been jamming and working! But just wanted to mention that I tried the 40cr on two back to back weekends trying to like it over my stock 40c and found it very "sterile" I guess is the right word. Sure the 40c has some "issues" but when it's dialed in for a certain sound its just so touch sensitive and lively. I just could not get the new amp to sound anything like the old one. They really are very different amps. It seems everyone praises the new one, am I missing something?

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
No, you aren't missing anything.
It has a different speaker, it just sounds different.

Best to stick with the original...

Clifdawg

Reaction score
Hi all. Been a while since I've posted just been jamming and working! But just wanted to mention that I tried the 40cr on two back to back weekends trying to like it over my stock 40c and found it very "sterile" I guess is the right word. Sure the 40c has some "issues" but when it's dialed in for a certain sound its just so touch sensitive and lively. I just could not get the new amp to sound anything like the old one. They really are very different amps. It seems everyone praises the new one, am I missing something?

You're not the only one. I had played a DSL40CR pretty extensively one day just to see what the fuss was about and found it rather difficult to dial in. Sounded great, but didn't do anything I felt like I couldn't already get out of my Boss Katana 100 (except bass response, but that's probably more to do with cabinet sizes than anything else). When the older C model dropped to 399 on Sweetwater, I figured it was worth the plunge and bought one. I much prefer the C, especially at home and bedroom volumes. Yeah, the treble is a little tough to tame (thinking about swapping speakers to help with that), but the overall "fullness" of sound is incredible. I originally intended to keep the Katana as a home amp; I sold it a couple of weeks after the C arrived home. :dude:

ken361

Reaction score
Na I heard that also even Rebea from Andertons prefers the old ones also

Seventh Son

Reaction score
You're not the only one. I had played a DSL40CR pretty extensively one day just to see what the fuss was about and found it rather difficult to dial in. Sounded great, but didn't do anything I felt like I couldn't already get out of my Boss Katana 100 (except bass response, but that's probably more to do with cabinet sizes than anything else). When the older C model dropped to 399 on Sweetwater, I figured it was worth the plunge and bought one. I much prefer the C, especially at home and bedroom volumes. Yeah, the treble is a little tough to tame (thinking about swapping speakers to help with that), but the overall "fullness" of sound is incredible. I originally intended to keep the Katana as a home amp; I sold it a couple of weeks after the C arrived home. :dude:
I agree with you that the treble is a bit hard to tame on the C series, but it is by no means impossible. Barring a speaker swap, it can be done with careful settings on the EQ. I keep Treble and Presence at 2, and when I record, I stay away from the center of the speaker and also lower gain a little bit, which usually does the trick. This forum also abounds with people who have replaced the speaker with a Greenback and had nothing but positive things to report. It seems that after replacing the speaker with something like the Greenback, you can be much more liberal in your use of treble and presence.

Last edited:

Clifdawg

Reaction score
This forum also abounds with people who replaced the speaker with a Greenback and had nothing but positive things to report. It seems that after replacing the speaker with something like the Greenback, you can be much more liberal in your use of treble and presence.

Good to know. Thanks for the input... I've been eyeing the Eminence Private Jack for this reason; Greenback voicing with a higher wattage handling. I'm also not opposed to the WGS ET65 or Invader 50, either. Hard to know what to jump for without actually hearing them in the room.

Seventh Son

Reaction score
I listened to Johan Segeborn's Greenback S, M, and H model comparison today, and think that the M model is a very classic and safe choice, based on the Youtube comparison.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with you that the treble is a bit hard to tame on the C series, but it is not far from impossible. Barring a speaker swap, it can be done with careful settings on the EQ. I keep Treble and Presence at 2, and when I record, I stay away from the center of the speaker and also lower gain a little bit, which usually does the trick. This forum also abounds with people who have replaced the speaker with a Greenback and had nothing but positive things to report. It seems that after replacing the speaker with something like the Greenback, you can be much more liberal in your use of treble and presence.

I still have the 70/80 in mine and think it kills! Jus pup changes. No channel bouncing.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
I'm running a Greenback in mine. Great sound. Pure classic rock. Still wary to crank it in 40w mode. Run in triode when I want to get loud. Or split the wattage between my cab and the Greenback. Anyone run one loud at 40w?

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm running a Greenback in mine. Great sound. Pure classic rock. Still wary to crank it in 40w mode. Run in triode when I want to get loud. Or split the wattage between my cab and the Greenback. Anyone run one loud at 40w?

I've put mine into a 412 of G12M's and it sounded like a stud Marshall.:drool:

Latest posts