The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BftGibson

Reaction score
I get what you’re saying, but that wipes out the usefulness of having a MV that can be set for solo boosts.
The amp is being returned to the retailer today.
was thinking about this...for clean i dont use clean channel anyway..i roll guitar vol and tone to liking... then sorta like marshall anyway...1 channel is almost all ya need and use guitar to shape tone

jericbrazier

Reaction score
3's solid too. And yeah I love the way the power section opens up...
Totally, when I’m turning the volume I can hear that point where it opens up, it’s a big change. On mine pushing 3 is where that happens. At home, that’s still pretty loud. So I got a Alchemy GE7, and put it in the loop. I keep the sliders neutral, and lower the volume slider almost all the way. It’s kind of a poor man’s attenuator.

jericbrazier

Reaction score
Liking lead 2 with the Creamback! Played the Bogner La Grange Plexi pedal through the DSL40 at GC clean channel it was pretty nice! Might have to get one
I have the Bogner Red, and it sounds killer through my dsl40c.

jericbrazier

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.
I managed to find a few posts relating to the volume issue, seems it’s not just me!
Real shame, as in the other modes I was getting some killer tones, but, I need a useable clean channel.
Going back to the shop tomorrow.
Just an idea, since you can’t change the modes within the channel with a footswitch, set the crunch where you like it, and ride your guitar’s volume. IMO, there’s not a better sub $1k dollar amp around.

Mark Tomlinson

Reaction score
Greetings - I tried several searches here on this topic, but didn't quite find a specific answer. I am putting together a wet-dry-wet rig with the DSL40C at the center/dry position and I'm curious about the emulated output. Is it TS (mono) or TRS (mono) or TRS (stereo) output? This will have some impact on the signal routing as you might imagine.

Thanks in advance,

-mt

Mark Tomlinson

Reaction score
Sorry Micky - it's the new DSL40CR

From the manual: "32. EMULATED OUT Emulated line level output for headphones or connection to a mixer. The DSL is equipped with a high quality emulated output using Softube-designed studio cabinet emulation. This ensures that your headphone and output signal from this socket provide the best possible tone for practice or recording."

From seeing the phrase "headphones" there, I'm assuming it's a very low wattage TRS stereo output.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Greetings - I tried several searches here on this topic, but didn't quite find a specific answer. I am putting together a wet-dry-wet rig with the DSL40C at the center/dry position and I'm curious about the emulated output. Is it TS (mono) or TRS (mono) or TRS (stereo) output? This will have some impact on the signal routing as you might imagine.

Thanks in advance,

-mt
The member here you would want to talk to is Zachman, not real sure on amps and gear you have, but this is my humble opinion, First get a quality ABY box, all amps should have efx loops, run your instrument lead ito the box, 2 instrument leads from ABY 2 amps(wet dry) from your wet amp use another instrument cable, efx loop send to instrument in . Put your efx in the loop of the 3’rd amp

ken361

Reaction score
What did you think? What kind of music do you play?
liked them a lot through a fender blues deluxe with a eminence GB greenback type speaker. Very amp like. The Lagrange seems really nice and has high gain also so it kind of covers both pedal possibility. I like mostly classic rock to 80's metal

jericbrazier

Reaction score
liked them a lot through a fender blues deluxe with a eminence GB greenback type speaker. Very amp like. The Lagrange seems really nice and has high gain also so it kind of covers both pedal possibility. I like mostly classic rock to 80's metal
Mine goes through a dsl40c, and I’ve used it with my el84 Mesa. IMO, it sounds waaay better through the Marshall than the Mesa.
It’s very amp like. I’d bet if someone wasn’t told it was a pedal they wouldn’t be able to tell.
I’ve had quite a few aiab’s and distortion pedals, and I haven’t played one that is more dynamic and touch sensitive than the Red. I haven’t tried the Blue or LaGrange, but I can’t imagine either being any different.
The Red’s tone is actually quite similar to the Marshall’s. Admittedly, at bedroom volumes the Red absolutely slays the amp, but when I can put the dsl’s master above 2.5 or so, the Marshall sounds better. I’ve done some mods to it though. I put an Eminence Swamp Thang in it, and I have Mullard RI el34s powering her. In a band setting, tonal bliss. Cuts like crazy.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
And Mark keep the 3’rd amp clean your 2’nd amp that is wet will color the third, and don’t worry about matching volumes just turn the 3’rd amp up as high or higher than #2 , #2 will control its volume via the effects loop send, hope this makes sense. It is how I am doing this :band:

Mark Tomlinson

Reaction score
And Mark keep the 3’rd amp clean your 2’nd amp that is wet will color the third, and don’t worry about matching volumes just turn the 3’rd amp up as high or higher than #2 , #2 will control its volume via the effects loop send, hope this makes sense. It is how I am doing this :band:

Thanks for your advice on the Wed/Dry rig. For my current setup I have 3 amps:
1 x DSL40CR - with effects loop
2 x Master Studio Lead combos - no effects loop

My thought was that I have my front-end pedals (PITCH, TONE, MOD) going into the center (dry) DSL40CR. Then I take the emulated output from the DSL40CR out into the delay & reverb (TIME) pedals which have stereo output. But there are 3 ideas for reflection:

- I can't take the DSL40 effects send only...without putting something back into the return. I could use a Y-cable split w 2 male and 1 female jack?
- the "emulated out" from the DSL40 includes speaker emulation...which I don't need for the MSL's, so that might sound weird
- I might need to bus the stereo output from the DSL40 and put it back into a mono input on the pedal board, which is not a big deal

Cheers!

-mt

Latest posts