• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Official Marshall Origin 20 Thread...

• Thread starter Joe_Easy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Msharky67

Reaction score
What's the rig you gonna run that with?

Speakers, effects etc...

Curious also..... home player? Gigging? Recording.

Congrats, it's a smokin little box.

I'm just a home player. I will be running it with a home brew 112 cab with a G12T75 or my Egnator 4x12 with 75's. I use a few pedals chorus, delay, reverb. Boosting it will be a TS9, SD-1, DS-1 copy, EQ, and a ZOOM multi stomp for varies effects. I am hoping the Origin will be like a plexi platform but allowing me to shape the tones I want. Plexi's are too loud as is. Even the 20 watt I bet. For half the price I can have it already jumped and low wattage. No attenuator needed. I am ordering one at the end of the month. Its my B-day gift. Can't wait to get one. I have heard some good demos of it. I will post pics when I get her!

steveb63

Reaction score
Well, Happy Birthday to you.

I kinda knew what to expect going in, as far as volume goes. You are entirely correct on the twenty watts, loud.

I usually use the high power setting when playing with the guys. I use my attenuator at home, or the master volume.

I think, very subjective, that it does a Marshall - like sound, it's in its DNA. I just can't say it's a clone of a particular model. Which works for me.

From your above post I'm thinking you're going to be a happy birthday guy!

Have fun, they take to most any pedals, lots of experimenting in the future.

If I can answer any specifics, hit me up.

Steve

Bobbonne

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First post for me here, great forum with loads of info.

I have the 20H and I'm experiencing fizz in the highs when pushing both master and gain. I ruled out the speaker by trying a different amp and I don't think it's either coming from the preamp. I tested pushing the preamp to the max with the amp's boost and an extra boost pedal on, with master very high and on high power mode, but lowering the signal in the effects loop (to bring it to bearable volume) and it sounded great, with loads of saturation but very well defined. I even threw a big muff in it and that was fantastic.

So I'm thinking the problem is coming after the master knob. I tried different ax7 tubes in V3 (stock, tad and ehx) and that didn't change the sound. So my question is this: do you think it could be the el34s that need to be changed? Or is it a case where a I should use a 5751 or at7? Or is it maybe just the sound of these amps?

Thanks!

Pierre

Baseballhack

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have the 20H and I'm experiencing fizz in the highs when pushing both master and gain. I ruled out the speaker by trying a different amp and I don't think it's either coming from the preamp. I tested pushing the preamp to the max with the amp's boost and an extra boost pedal on, with master very high and on high power mode, but lowering the signal in the effects loop (to bring it to bearable volume) and it sounded great, with loads of saturation but very well defined. I even threw a big muff in it and that was fantastic.

So I'm thinking the problem is coming after the master knob. I tried different ax7 tubes in V3 (stock, tad and ehx) and that didn't change the sound. So my question is this: do you think it could be the el34s that need to be changed? Or is it a case where a I should use a 5751 or at7? Or is it maybe just the sound of these amps?

Thanks!

Pierre

I had a similar issue with my 20h. This is what I did. 1st, I was running it through a 1x12 Krank cab loaded with an eminence V1216, swapped that out for a Scumback M75. This made a tremendous change in tone for me. 2nd I rolled tubes in all positions till I found a my tone for now at least. Doesn't seem a popular choice but I did end up with a 12AT7 in the PI (V3) and I am loving it. In my opinion these amps are very revealing and can pick up fret buzz maybe more so than other amps, maybe check your guitar setup.

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Thanks!

Pierre

First :welcome: to the forum

I got the Power tubes changed on warranty service at the same time they fixed the speaker out issues.
They put EHx EL34 in mine at it sounds great

steveb63

Reaction score
Hi welcome to the forum bro.

Try playing around with the presence, imo, i think that control really interacts with the tilt and treble. You might find out you don't need new tubes?

Enjoy your journey.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Thanks!

Pierre
Welcome to the forum new MF’r what has been said before me is quite true you do need to do a little fine tuning, and as Steve alluded to the presence and tilt, has a lot to do with it ! Cheers Mitch

Last edited:

Bobbonne

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Rolling off the presence, the tilt and the treble does help a bit. Rolling the guitar tone too. Though it's a fine line before the saturation losses a little of its bite.

Cheers, Pierre.

Bettyboo

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am also new here. I had a DSL 5 combo which I liked once I changed the speaker to a greenback, but not enough to keep it. I bought an Origin 20c about a month ago and am trying to understand it - it seems to be a pretty unique amp that takes time to get to know. A lot of the time, I play at lowish volume 60-65db at home, and I struggle to get the pushed sounds that I really enjoy...

I have just started to use a volume pedal in the fx loop and that helps a lot - I can get nice tones to thrash away on powerchords at volumes that don't upset the wife... The guy I sold my DSL5c to doesn't like the greenback, he prefers the original speaker (I cannot understand that, but each to their own...), so I'm getting the 25w 16 ohm greenback from him over the next day or two which I hope will give me breakup earlier and at lower volumes. The DSL was very easy to change the speaker, a quick look at the Origin looks a more difficult job - any suggestions from folks who have changed the speaker?

I'll probably also pick up an attenuator, as it'd be nice to get the tubes cooking at the 20w setting at apartment playing levels.

Can anybody suggest anything else that may help get some punkier/driven blues sounds at lower volumes? I put a TS808 and a Catalinbread Katzinkonig in front of the amp, and I don't really like the sounds until I turn the volume up far too high for home use. I'm thinking, especially with an attenuator, that a treble booster may help?

Or perhaps even just get a DSL1 head and plug it into the Origin's speaker.

Some pics:

The DSL that I probably should have kept:

DSC_0047.JPG

The Origin 20c

Screenshot 2019-05-15 at 00.01.38.png

20190422_183700.jpg

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll probably also pick up an attenuator, as it'd be nice to get the tubes cooking at the 20w setting at apartment playing levels.

I think an attenuator is your best bet. I don't own an Origin, but from what I've heard these amps,(like most all tube amps), sound great/best when the power tubes are really cooking!
I've heard and read great things about the Bugera PS1. They do the job and do it well, and for only $100!

I'm ordering one this week.

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am also new here. I had a DSL 5 combo which I liked once I changed the speaker to a greenback, but not enough to keep it. I bought an Origin 20c about a month ago and am trying to understand it - it seems to be a pretty unique amp that takes time to get to know. A lot of the time, I play at lowish volume 60-65db at home, and I struggle to get the pushed sounds that I really enjoy...

I have just started to use a volume pedal in the fx loop and that helps a lot - I can get nice tones to thrash away on powerchords at volumes that don't upset the wife... The guy I sold my DSL5c to doesn't like the greenback, he prefers the original speaker (I cannot understand that, but each to their own...), so I'm getting the 25w 16 ohm greenback from him over the next day or two which I hope will give me breakup earlier and at lower volumes. The DSL was very easy to change the speaker, a quick look at the Origin looks a more difficult job - any suggestions from folks who have changed the speaker?

Can anybody suggest anything else that may help get some punkier/driven blues sounds at lower volumes? I put a TS808 and a Catalinbread Katzinkonig in front of the amp, and I don't really like the sounds until I turn the volume up far too high for home use. I'm thinking, especially with an attenuator, that a treble booster may help?

Some pics:

View attachment 57723

The Origin 20c

View attachment 57721

View attachment 57722

Great amps, i used to run my Origin 20C with an attunetaror in 3w mode.
Now a friend of me has borrowed it after I received my SV20H.

AND

:welcome: to the forum

Cheers

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Some pics:

View attachment 57723

The Origin 20c

View attachment 57721

View attachment 57722
First welcome to the forum, I have been saying this across the forum, try the mxr 10 band eq in front of the amp, it wakes it up and brings the tones to life. I also have clips throughout the forum as well. Mine is the 50 H but you will also get the goods on your 20C! Cheers Mitch

Bettyboo

Reaction score
The 30w greenback was easy to put in and made a significant improvement to my ears - lovely gain sounds at lover volume levels; thicker and fuller sounds. I liked the speaker the amp came with, so I was surprised how big an improvement the speaker change made.

Here are some pictures of the speaker swap:

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Last edited:

Bettyboo

Reaction score
8 chassis screws and the four speaker screws, was very easy...

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

15.jpg

For me, the sounds I like, I was getting them (slightly thiner and less breadth) at 80+db, but with the 30w greenback in I can now get similar, but even nicer sounds, at 70db - which I can just about get away with at my apartment... That's just with the LP special; once I plug in the SG junior I expect even more grit and bark. The greenback really works with this amp for me; takes me from 75% happy with the sound (at levels I can live with) to 95% happy with the sound (at levels I can live with).

Last edited:

jeffb

Reaction score
IME this amp is really finnicky about tubes in general but ESPECIALLY the PI and the power tubes. It gets really nasty and buzzy/harsh in the highs with more aggressive tubes and pushing the master This seems the most exaggerated in medium and low power modes- push the master high and , yuk.

An old Jan 5751 or JJ803S is a blessing in the PI along with something more compressed and creamy in the Power section. Mullard RIs for example vs the JJ EL34 varieties.

Like the Class5 , the Origins will also exaggerate your faults for all to hear. Not terribly forgiving like a DSL or such

Bettyboo

Reaction score
the Origins will also exaggerate your faults for all to hear

Probably the worst possible amp for my two bob playing then... :)

Having said that, at the price, it's a great deal, sounds great, and just makes me feel good to have it around. If the wife goes out, and I plug the SG junior in, maybe a couple of beers, then the world is a good place.

I don't much like compressors, but I've been using it quite a lot with this amp (says much about my sloppy playing).

A weird thing happened last week: I bought this amp in a sale about a month ago (I'm working away from home in Korea, and Marshalls are expensive here), reduced from about 650 pounds to 580 pounds. The day after the sale, the shop set the 'normal price, at 485 pounds... :mad:. I was fretting away, but decided to hold my peace and just take the hit, but about a week ago, I noticed that the shop had refunded 95 pounds into my bank account without telling me, or me asking them for it. Sometimes, good things happen...

:shred2: