The Official Marshall Studio Classic Thread Sc20

• Thread starter scozz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dmann

Reaction score
Our other guitarist uses a 5150 III (50 watt). It sounds good, but more like a Jubilee, more lower mids focused (IMO). I use an Axe Fx II and the JCM800 amp model. Everyone says I sound "trebley", when sound checking, then when we play as a band, they complain they can't hear the other guitarist.:shrug:

My latest band we are still looking for 2nd guitar and we've auditioned a exactly a dozen, as well as some keys players.

Marshall's, mesa's, orange, fender, katana, line 6, and peavey, they all brought 100 watt heads and 412 cabs. I guess it's just my 30 years of experience, and I'm also using my Axe-Fx II in a 4CM setup and a 212 loaded with G12EVH, but I completely crush cleans, crunch, and leads and I can't take the master past 3.5 or its completely drowning out the acoustic drummer and keys.

Its not really the speakers either as I can get the same result with v30s or G12T-75s.

I'm using a 5 band EQ (mesa) with the Axe-Fx and leave the tone controls on the amp on 5 or noon. I dial it in pretty meaty and right where the guitar should be for each tone. Great thing is I can have 8+ custom EQ's for each preset / channel.... you know what I mean as you own an Axe-Fx II as well :) so man you can easily sculpt the tone to perfectly cut.

I'm not trying to derail, just wanted to state that your experience is not everyone's and I cut like knife, and it's not harsh or ice pick, it's very full and present and thick.

The reality is, when we gig its mic'd and mixed through FoH so end of day, at the level I'm playing, I'm not carrying the room, it's only stage monitoring when playing bars and even rehearsal volume on 3.5 is way too loud lol.

Last edited:

rich88uk

Reaction score
They said to me there will be some volume drop. They didn't specify why.

The popping only occurs when you are using pedals in the loop and at least one pedal is not buffered. As long as you don't only run true bypass pedals in the loop then there is no pop. I don't know why this is the case and Marshall said they didn't know either and said I would have to send it in. As its only popping with true bypass pedals I didn't see any point in sending it in.

If you are not happy with it I would send it back. Me personally, I'm not bothered now I have a buffered pedal in the loop. And the volume drop comes in handy to be honest as at lower levels it knocks a few DB off

SRD

Reaction score
I had three pedals in the loop and only one pedal popped, so luckily it was still returnable so I did and I'll just find another brand pedal to replace it.

I also got an email stating the volume drop in the loop is normal.

at least they replaced my bad tube for free

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Ok,...does you amp have the lower volume in the loop thing?
Yes, but with the volume maxed, or near maxed, I can barely hear a change. I would not say the volume drop is "normal" by any stretch, but it is what it is. They may make some changes to the loop circuit on future production amps, if enough people complain (they did this with the YJM 100 loop issue), or they may never change it. I'd say, if you like the amp in every other aspect, just keep it and accept it for what it is. If it's a major annoyance to you, I'd return it (but not for exchange). I'm sure there will be some mods coming that will correct it, most likely a simple resistor change, or something similar.

Last edited:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'd have to research it ahead of time or test it for yourself I suppose. All BOSS pedals are buffered, so I'm rolling the dice and will find out soon enough how it'll behave.

Well I do have a Boss tc-1 loop station in my effects loop,....

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are not happy with it I would send it back. Me personally, I'm not bothered now I have a buffered pedal in the loop. And the volume drop comes in handy to be honest as at lower levels it knocks a few DB off

It’s not that I’m not happy with it, actually it’s just the opposite, I really love the amp! I guess I just wanted people to tell me it’s normal, not anything to worry about, your amp doesn’t have a defect. LOL!

I want to keep the amp, if I sent it back I’d want another one in return. So there’s a probability the amp they’d send me would have the same issue.

Lastly, I agree completely with what you said at the end,... ‘the volume drop comes in handy at lower levels’.

Thanks for your response! :yesway:

coolidge56

Reaction score
I've read that a buffered pedal in the loop does not induce the volume drop.

If that is the case the issue is in the true bypass pedal not the amp. If the issue is in the amp the volume would drop buffered pedal or not. I guess I'm trying to be fair to Marshall here. Its clear they didn't design the amp to fix the outside issue of true bypass pedals popping or dropping the volume. If a guy wants an amp with a loop that does (my Mesa TC-50 has no such issues) then buy that amp I guess.

I adopted the easy fix others have, I picked up a buffered tuner pedal problem solved.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, but with the volume maxed, or near maxed, I can barely hear a change. I would not say the volume drop is "normal" by any stretch, but it is what it is. They may make some changes to the loop circuit on future production amps, if enough people complain (they did this with the YJM 100 loop issue), or they may never change it. I'd say, if you like the amp in every other aspect, just keep it and accept it for what it is. If it's a major annoyance to you, I'd return it (but not for exchange). I'm sure there will be some mods coming that will correct it, most likely a simple resistor change, or something similar.

Thanks so much for that, I think that’s exactly what I’m gonna do. The volume isn’t an issue for me, in fact I find it useful.

I was just concerned that I might have a new expensive amp with a problem, but I don’t feel that way now after reading your post and others here today.

Thanks to all!

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Marshall calls it "normal". It seems the truth of the matter is that it's a byproduct of the design. In their eyes, because they all do it, it's deemed "normal". Wordsmithing.

All of those Takata vehicle air bags can eject fragments and maim you. Is that "normal" because they all do it?

FWIW I ordered one this week. I've read that a buffered pedal in the loop does not induce the volume drop. If that's the case I may be able to live with it as a BOSS DD-7 is my preferred pedal of choice in a loop.
The buffered pedal gets rid of the loud pop when turning pedals on and off. You will still have the volume drop when you turn the loop on. The loop is important to me I don't want to be limited to what pedals I can use in my loop, therefore I'm sending mine back, hopefully they will fix the volume thing too eventually, no other Marshall I owned with a loop did this. I'll wait a year and buy another one, it truly is the amp that I always wanted.

Moony

Reaction score
That will be buffered, all BOSS pedals are. I'm going to sell my mini hall of fame and get the RV6 for more options plus it will be buffered.

Just in case you weren't aware of that: The regular (bigger) TC Hall of Fame Reverb has an internal "Buffered Bypass" switch - so that should work fine here, too.

rich88uk

Reaction score
Just in case you weren't aware of that: The regular (bigger) TC Hall of Fame Reverb has an internal "Buffered Bypass" switch - so that should work fine here, too.

I did that look at that but I fancy a change now from TC stuff tbh. Had a few over the years.

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

I didn´t know that, thanks, i run HOF in the loop, haven´t got my SV20H yet, and i don´t know if the SV20H has the same problem, but good to Know.

Kutt

Reaction score
The buffered pedal gets rid of the loud pop when turning pedals on and off. You will still have the volume drop when you turn the loop on. The loop is important to me I don't want to be limited to what pedals I can use in my loop, therefore I'm sending mine back, hopefully they will fix the volume thing too eventually, no other Marshall I owned with a loop did this. I'll wait a year and buy another one, it truly is the amp that I always wanted.

Thank you. I am with you 110%. If the volume on mine drops too, it's going back. I expect it to. Things like that don't usually vary from build to build. But I'm rolling to dice since a few guys have said theirs aren't doing it. Baffles me how they wouldn't, so we'll see.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Thank you. I am with you 110%. If the volume on mine drops too, it's going back. I expect it to. Things like that don't usually vary from build to build. But I'm rolling to dice since a few guys have said theirs aren't doing it. Baffles me how they wouldn't, so we'll see.
I think the guys that don't have the problem own a SV20 not the SC20, I'm pretty sure everybody with a SC20 has the volume and pop problem with the loop.

Kutt

Reaction score
I think the guys that don't have the problem own a SV20 not the SC20, I'm pretty sure everybody with a SC20 has the volume and pop problem with the loop.

Ah! Now I'm wondering if I should cancel my order. It's on backorder...

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Ah! Now I'm wondering if I should cancel my order. It's on backorder...
If you know the volume drop will be a deal breaker, I'd say yes. It seems to be inherent in the design of the amp. I'm going to have to investigate this, and see if there's an easy fix, it's what I'd do if I really wanted to keep it. Also, I want to know, in case I ever buy another sometime down the road. I'd really like to see Marshall succeed with these.

Last edited:

SRD

Reaction score
To be honest, I'm fine with the volume drop.
My wife works from home and it makes it a little easier to manage instead of trying to fine tune the volume knob at an already low setting.
Isn't the old belief about how Marshalls are better when pushed? (which they are obviously)
If the loop is engaged that just means you get to push it a little more.