• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

• Thread starter Michael Roe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
Awesome! Would love to hear your amp settings as well as the TAE settings. Killer tone.
Thanks for checking it out! Pretty much everything at noon on the amp—treble channel only, level up to about 2:00. TAE both cab settings all the way clockwise, light delay and reverb.

middy

Reaction score
I just bought the SV20c and I love it. I actually read this entire thread over the weekend when I wasn’t playing it. So much horseshit lol.
Some points:

The 10” speaker sounds great.

Yes, it’s really loud. 5 watt mode sounds good, but the low end mushes up a bit. 5 watts is about half as loud as 50 watts at 1 kHz, most of that extra power is going into the low end, which gets rolled off by a SM57 anyway. 20 watts is maybe 7 db quieter than 100 watts, again much of that 80 watts going toward low end of questionable utility. The Sv20 is a better guitar amp than a 1959 for today’s player, IMO. 1959 makes a great bass amp, though!

Using a master volume in the loop cuts the balls off this amp’s overdrive. For low volumes it’s better to run it clean and use the master volume to bring it down more, and then use an overdrive pedal in front.

A Weber mini mass doesn’t even make use of (or need) the reactive load unless you turn it all the way down. It’s just an overpriced rheostat. You can buy a 100 watt 16 ohm rheostat off Amazon for $20.

This amp makes an excellent clean pedal platform, just like a 1959, the objections of wannabes notwithstanding. Most overdrives and all effects sound killer right into the front inputs when run clean.

Reverbs and delays sound great in the loop as long as they have the headroom and you’re not getting too much power section grind.

There’s little point in running the normal channel if the high treble channel is above 6-7. You’re just mushing up the low end.

Jumping the inputs sounds great for clean and light breakup tones.

I like a plexi as much as the next guy, but honestly you can take just about any tube amp, put a huge bright cap on the volume knob, turn the master volume (if any) all the way up, and install a completely inappropriate volume pot that starts overdriving the power section by 3 and you’ll get similar results. LOL. The Marshall tone stack is great though, because it rolls off the sub lows nicely, unlike a Fender.

A switch for the bright cap would be nice.

That’s all I have for now, back to pummeling my eardrums…

Last edited:

WellBurnTheSky

Reaction score
I just bought the SV20c and I love it. I actually read this entire thread over the weekend when I wasn’t playing it. So much horseshit lol.
Some points:

The 10” speaker sounds great.

Yes, it’s really loud. 5 watt mode sounds good, but the low end mushes up a bit. 5 watts is about half as loud as 50 watts at 1 kHz, most of that extra power is going into the low end, which gets rolled off by a SM57 anyway. 20 watts is maybe 7 db quieter than 100 watts, again much of that 80 watts going toward low end of questionable utility. The Sv20 is a better guitar amp than a 1959 for today’s player, IMO. 1959 makes a great bass amp, though!

Using a master volume in the loop cuts the balls off this amp’s overdrive. For low volumes it’s better to run it clean and use the master volume to bring it down more, and then use an overdrive pedal in front.

A Weber mini mass doesn’t even make use of (or need) the reactive load unless you turn it all the way down. It’s just an overpriced rheostat. You can buy a 100 watt 16 ohm rheostat off Amazon for $20.

This amp makes an excellent clean pedal platform, just like a 1959, the objections of wannabes notwithstanding. Most overdrives and all effects sound killer right into the front inputs when run clean.

Reverbs and delays sound great in the loop as long as they have the headroom and you’re not getting too much power section grind.

There’s little point in running the normal channel if the high treble channel is above 6-7. You’re just mushing up the low end.

Jumping the inputs sounds great for clean and light breakup tones.

I like a plexi as much as the next guy, but honestly you can take just about any tube amp, put a huge bright cap on the volume knob, turn the master volume (if any) all the way up, and install a completely inappropriate volume pot that starts overdriving the power section by 3 and you’ll get similar results. LOL. The Marshall tone stack is great though, because it rolls off the sub lows nicely, unlike a Fender.

A switch for the bright cap would be nice.

That’s all I have for now, back to pummeling my eardrums…
Congrats on the SV20c, welcome to the forum, and agreed on pretty much everything !!