• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

• Thread starter Michael Roe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

middy

Reaction score
When someone's talking about removing a bright cap, that's definitely "highs", not upper mids. Whatever the offending frequency, it can still be tamed with and EQ in the loop.
The larger the value of the capacitor, the lower the cutoff frequency is of the signal that skips the volume pot. The Super Lead cap is huge and definitely extends down to the upper mids.

https://www.premierguitar.com/amp/dimed-dangerous-how-bright-caps-shape-tone-2651044458

Anyway, why tame it with an eq when I can remove it and replace it with an eq or treble booster when desired?

junk notes

Reaction score
Anyway, why tame it with an eq when I can remove it and replace it with an eq or treble booster when desired?
This is only anothers approach. Do it. Let us know how it went and the difference it made.

middy

Reaction score
This is only anothers approach. Do it. Let us know how it went and the difference it made.
I might. It doesn’t hurt anymore with my attenuator knocking off a decibel or six. We’ll see how it works in a band mix first.

junk notes

Reaction score
I might. It doesn’t hurt anymore with my attenuator knocking off a decibel or six. We’ll see how it works in a band mix first.
If you are overly concerned with highs in your sound without changing components, operating at lower voltages will start to shave off some of the inherenrt and unwanted higher frequencies in this self biasing circuit.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
The larger the value of the capacitor, the lower the cutoff frequency is of the signal that skips the volume pot. The Super Lead cap is huge and definitely extends down to the upper mids.

https://www.premierguitar.com/amp/dimed-dangerous-how-bright-caps-shape-tone-2651044458

Fully aware of what a bright cap does, worked in electronics all my adult life. You can't reduce the value of the of the bright cap to the point of reducing the upper mids, without losing all the highs above the cutoff frequency. An EQ or notch filter is the only way to effectively accomplish that. I'm done, no more wasting my time on someone that would ask for advice and post such a moronic gif (and qualify as a member of my coveted "ignore" list). Bye

Last edited:

middy

Reaction score
Fully aware of what a bright cap does, worked in electronics all my adult life. You can't reduce the value of the of the bright cap to the point of reducing the upper mids, without losing all the highs above the cutoff frequency. An EQ or notch filter is the only way to effectively accomplish that. I'm done, no more wasting my time on someone that would ask for advice and post such a moronic gif (and qualify as a member of my coveted "ignore" list). Bye
That’s simply not true, all frequencies above the cutoff frequency bypass the volume pot. Lowering the value of the bright cap raises the cutoff frequency.
I never asked for help, I was just stating my experience. Oh well, thanks for your time.

I found the solution anyway. Plug into the high treble channel high input, dime the volume, use your volume knob on the guitar, control max volume with attenuator.

Last edited:

middy

Reaction score
Ok, I’m happy to report that the bright cap has been clipped and it’s perfect! Now I can get much closer to all those Kossoff, Eric Johnson, Hendrix, Page, Frusciante tones.

Sorry if I offended anyone. I was getting frustrated after spending so much money for a honky sounding amp.

mmarchi21

Reaction score
No issues here running the SV20 as is. I put KT66’s in it a while back and run it through a 4x12 with 2 Greenbacks and 2 V30’s. Sounds amazing. I jumper the inputs and if you run both inputs around 10 am, presence and treble maybe around 9:45 am to 10 am with a Strat neck pickup you really nail that Hendrix edge of breakup vibe. The 4x12 gives you that depth and may avoid the highs a bit that you get out of your 1x12. V30’s on bottom of cab. Attenuator required! Using PS-100.

purpleplexi

Reaction score
I find the voltage at my house varies through the day. If it's getting in my ear I just tweak the presence very slightly and it's all good. Channels jumpered, both vols on 3 o'clock using the 8ohm out with a pedal in front. LBB in the loop.

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No issues here running the SV20 as is. I put KT66’s in it a while back and run it through a 4x12 with 2 Greenbacks and 2 V30’s. Sounds amazing. I jumper the inputs and if you run both inputs around 10 am, presence and treble maybe around 9:45 am to 10 am with a Strat neck pickup you really nail that Hendrix edge of breakup vibe. The 4x12 gives you that depth and may avoid the highs a bit that you get out of your 1x12. V30’s on bottom of cab. Attenuator required! Using PS-100.

:welcome: to the forum

Cheers :cheers:

ken361

Reaction score
I find the voltage at my house varies through the day. If it's getting in my ear I just tweak the presence very slightly and it's all good. Channels jumpered, both vols on 3 o'clock using the 8ohm out with a pedal in front. LBB in the loop.
I use a APC voltage regulator it's great at 60 bucks! Amps run better

middy

Reaction score
Yeah, the bright cap is barely doing anything with the high treble channel volume at 3:00 . My amp sounds exactly the same dimed as it did before.

I’m envious of the people that can tolerate the bright cap at medium drive, it sounds fine in a band mix, but for me it’s like wearing a thong. :( All so Pete Townsend didn’t have to carry his treble booster around.

junk notes

Reaction score
2 yrs huh, good Whatsup!

Sounds good. The 66s are a good choice for headroom for some Jim/SRV, as well as the 4x12 for achieving some of those tones.
So far the singlecoiled guitar is the challenge for me. No prob for hummers.
The knobs are more active than a Plexi and is honestly harder to dial in. ALL the knobs affect the final signal.
I am trying to wrap my head around what @Pete Farrington had posted in the other thread that the Mid pot affecting the Bass and Treble output. I have to look at this amp as its own thing. Certainly has characteristics of a Plexi, but it is more hybrid.
I find myself always double checking the impedance switch and there is not one to switch! lol

(edit: ALL this has been observed in the lower 5w mode; targeting - for now, and due to the low watts not pushing the speaker cone or some air- with a 1x12 15Ω G12-65)

Last edited:

junk notes

Reaction score
:pirate:
Purchased a matched and burned in pair of 6CA7s (I use them in my Plexis and JCM800s). I will be trying out this weekend. Looking for good results.:fingersx:
:noplease::noway:
I had no problemo trying these out. I do not think this tube suits this Marshall circuit. IMHO YMMV Choose something else than these Electro-Harmonix 6CA7 fat bottle for your SV20H. As a suggestion, spend it on another 6CA7/EL34, a 6CA7 or an EL34.
I had posted in another thread, that one possibility could factor in; that new replacement tubes should have the same current draw number as did the original tube, but
was informed that should not factor due that this is a self biasing circuit, which is something new I have to wrap my head around coming from biasing older amps.

mmarchi21

Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum

Cheers :cheers:
Thanks. Been reading the threads for years and finally decided to chip in. I did want to comment that the settings I mention above are using a beefy sounding Strat, neck pickup. I did have a pre-amp tube go out on me and replaced all of them a while back. I’ll have to check to see what I put in. I think they were Mullard reissues. Hard to say if it improved the sound or not since it was a while ago but the KT66’s definitely added a bit of oomph and bottom end as I recall vs. the original power tubes. I love this amp.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Sharing this Bad Cat Unleash listing I saw on ebay (not mine), as I feel it's a perfect pairing for the SV20.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.