• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

• Thread starter Michael Roe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

middy

Reaction score
Biden's got nothing to do with it. He doesn't rule here but we got the same problem... if you want to get philosophical, it's the western capitalism running its course and reaching the end of its run where all and everything is concentrated at one point, one owner... next they'll come for your blood...
.. ok, I'll shut up too... ha ha..
The warlord on the biggest pile of skulls wins! :pirate:

1234_thumbwar

Reaction score
Has anybody used a g10 greenback with one of these amps yet? After playing my champ a bunch recently I found out part of the sound I like is speaker breakup and even if I dime my SV20c the vt junior doesn’t really give like the Weber in my champ does.

I like the way greenbacks sound but I’ve never had the luxury of owning one. I don’t want to cram a 12 inch in the SV20c so I was hoping I’m not missing out with the 10 inch offering

I’ve got RFT 12ax7’s and GE 6CA7’s for glass if anybody suggests a tube swap before a speaker swap. I’ve given the speaker a couple weeks of abuse diming the amp or keeping volume II at 7 or 8 jumpered with volume I blended in so it’s loud and the speaker has been moving

1234_thumbwar

Reaction score
I have one I used back and forth they sound similar. The Jr has a bigger magnet , maybe a little more lows and a little less bright.
I think I can agree with that then, the SV20c sounds bigger than any other 1x10 I’ve ever played so I’m not in need of more bass, I just want some speaker breakup and a bit more brightness would make the normal channel more accessible I feel

SlyStrat

Reaction score
I changed my mind about the stock 10" combo speaker.
Its okay but the 12" V-Type blows it away.
Sold my SV combo.
If I bought another I'd put the 12" in it.

middy

Reaction score
Sold my SV combo.
Did you ever try the G10 greenback in it?

1234_thumbwar

Reaction score
Sold my SV combo.
Is there that much of a difference between a 12 inch and 10 inch speaker? I know I want a greenback but I don’t want to buy a single 1x12 so much as a quad or mini stack 2x12. I just don’t like how there’s no speaker breakup whatsoever with the stock speaker and I always agreed with the sound of different kinds of greenbacks. The g10 greenback seems like it’s the best compromise I can make for the time being

Tincup

Reaction score
I’m looking forward to rocking mine this weekend at practice. I think I have tamed it just enough, volume wise, with the JHS LBB so I can use it without being too loud. I can use my pup selector to go from dirty to clean with great tone and I can throttle the bridge pup for a full high (er) gain sounds, while remaining chunky enough for my standards. I had to re EQ it, for the LBB to get my volume where I want it. I also have a bugera ps1 but the tone suck, well, it sucks.

I am running more presence and mids with the LBB In the loop. It seems to compensate the rolledoffedness. Is that a new word? Basically everything but the bass is dimed and I’m just running the high gain #1 input. LP with P90’s

Cant wait to throw it in the mix. Trying hard to ditch my pedals for better tone and simplicity. There’s a lot of different sounds in this little box.

Last edited:

junk notes

Reaction score
Whether the SV or SC combo,
Is there that much of a difference between a 12 inch and 10 inch speaker? I know I want a greenback but I don’t want to buy a single 1x12 so much as a quad or mini stack 2x12. I just don’t like how there’s no speaker breakup whatsoever with the stock speaker and I always agreed with the sound of different kinds of greenbacks. The g10 greenback seems like it’s the best compromise I can make for the time being

I do not have the combo, although another good 10" alernate would be the G10L-35 found in the 1965s.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score

Marshall SV212 - A Cab Worthy of Vintage Greenbacks!​

Well shit....

The SV212A didn't impress me much compared to any generic 4x12 but with those speakers and the open back?.... Hot damn, now I kinda want one!

The price is just too fking insane to be loaded with Vtypes. Why would Marshall not pair the SV20 with Greenbacks??? I will never understand that!

Also... Did anyone notice or feel that Johan seemed kinda skeptical of the SV20 in the first video? It seemed like with each video he grew more and more fond of it and this last one he looked like he was having a blast as usual.

BlueX

Reaction score
Marshall SV212 - A Cab Worthy of Vintage Greenbacks!

Did anyone notice or feel that Johan seemed kinda skeptical of the SV20 in the first video? It seemed like with each video he grew more and more fond of it and this last one he looked like he was having a blast as usual.

SV20 is a great amp, and speakers make all the difference. Good "mini series" from Johan.

My SV212 will probably see new speakers.

SlyStrat

Reaction score
HUGE difference. One 12" V-Type easily fills my basement with band level sound.
I don't like greenbacks. Too raspy and flubby when pushed.

1234_thumbwar

Reaction score
HUGE difference. One 12" V-Type easily fills my basement with band level sound.
I don't like greenbacks. Too raspy and flubby when pushed.
Raspy and flubby is kinda what I’m after though, speaker breakup is something I crave so I guess I might just get a 2x12 built or replace the speakers in my 4104 and use that as a cab for the SV20 till I get a proper 2x12 made

ken361

Reaction score
Raspy and flubby is kinda what I’m after though, speaker breakup is something I crave so I guess I might just get a 2x12 built or replace the speakers in my 4104 and use that as a cab for the SV20 till I get a proper 2x12 made
It's pretty smooth with my 212 greenbacks

Latest posts