• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

• Thread starter Michael Roe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Both amps sound very close in this video, my 1959 and SV20H dont sound anything alike. :hmm:
I agree, then again, they are compressed recordings. I've A/B'd my amps (various sizes) many times, same result every time. When it comes to overall fullness, and that percussive punch that comes from the larger amps, 100w > 50w > 20w... all day long. I do applaud Marshall for their efforts on the Studio amps, long overdue and fill the needs of those looking for smaller amps.

Last edited:

C-4

Reaction score
I think that's the reason for 10inch speakers in the combos. Less cone, less air movement, less spl. In 5 watt mode with a single openback 10, it'll be like pushing a fender champ.. loud but not unreasonable in a house ..
5 watt into a 4x12 at the same time, would probably be a bit shy at rehearsal with a loud drummer, but doable in a small room
J
Over her, in the States, they call that "legal ease", or how lawyers write sentences. :)

ken Tucky

Reaction score
@ken Tucky

I liked the 1W anniversary amps a lot, too.
Hopefully Marshall will release another such kind of amps.
Maybe 5 watts (switchable to 0,5) with a 12BH7A in the power amp.
And of course all tube design so they would stand above a Blackstar HT-5.

In regards to best Marshall for home use at lower volume - I personally think the JVM is the best.
I play a JVM215C combo with a single 12" speaker for years and haven't found something better.
It's just the design of the circuit, most of the sound from the preamp and a clean poweramp with a lot of negative feedback.
Santiago Alvarez who designed the amp told me once that he himself wanted an amp that sounds also great at lower volume levels - and I honestly think that he did a great job with the JVM.
Yes, a friend has a JVM and it does indeed sound very good at low volume. But as you said "most of the sound from the preamp" which (to me at least) is a feel and response many master volume equipped amps can replicate (IMO) at low volume. Handy for reduced volume while keeping high gain intact especially. I am more specifically praising the JTM 1 watter for it's ability to produce a plexi like, low gain feel and vibe at minimal volume levels. No amp I've ever used has done so better IME as far as retaining a NMV character in the tone.

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, a friend has a JVM and it does indeed sound very good at low volume. But as you said "most of the sound from the preamp" which (to me at least) is a feel and response many master volume equipped amps can replicate (IMO) at low volume. Handy for reduced volume while keeping high gain intact especially. I am more specifically praising the JTM 1 watter for it's ability to produce a plexi like, low gain feel and vibe at minimal volume levels. No amp I've ever used has done so better IME as far as retaining a NMV character in the tone.

I also have the JTM1H, Offset version (same amp)
Sounds fantastic at low volume, 1 watt is louder than you think.

ken Tucky

Reaction score
I also have the JTM1H, Offset version (same amp) Sounds fantastic at low volume, 1 watt is louder than you think.

Yes it is louder than one would think at 1 watt. I use a PB100 to attenuate it directly from the 1 watt setting which IMO sounds better than using the amps available .1 watt setting.

Last edited:

Maggot Brain

Reaction score

Vintage Celestion Greenback Prices are Ridiculous - What are the best Alternatives?​

Hmm, nothing sounds like those original Greenbscks. They both sounded better/closer on the lead playing. I think the V type would have been a strong contender, as mine continue to break end I'm noticing a more pronounced GB type "honk" etc... He gave the MF a shout out, does he ever post around here? I always wondered why he isn't around this place.

tallcoolone

Reaction score

Is the Marshall Studio Vintage 2x12 too Small to Sound BIG?​

Johan continues to chew on a few thoughts.

I thought the same about the studio cabs--it sounded ok in this vid, not sure it sounds $1200 good. That’s pretty insane for a 2x12 cab—the Jubilee matching 2x12 is $200 more! I got an EVH 2x12 with the same speakers in it 2 weeks ago for $260 locally.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score

Is the Marshall Studio Vintage 2x12 too Small to Sound BIG?​

Johan continues to chew on a few thoughts.

I liked this video and think the SV212 held it's own. The SV212 definitely has more mid focus so I think it would cut much better than the 1972.

I actually think those 2 cabs would compliment eachother perfectly as a little weirdo stack!

.... Oh and I'm really digging the Vtypes still!

rolijen

Reaction score
I talked about my experience with the Boss Waza TAE in a 1987x thread, but let it be noted that the SV20 sounds equally amazing through the TAE. The TAE can take the SV20 from whisper quiet to 100 watts of glorious vintage Marshall tone. The reverb and other effects in the TAE, along with headphone out, effects loop, line out, midi, and foot switch ability are tailor made for the SV20 and (true to the product’s name) greatly “expand”’ the capability of our favorite mini plexi.

After playing 1959s for years and more recently a 1987x, the SV20 never really delivered the clean headroom or low end girth of my higher wattage plexi’s. The TAE levels the playing field.

I run the SV20 in 20watt mode and set the TAE Input Level selector to 10watts (available options are 10w, 50w, 100w). The 10watt setting makes the amp sound huge—easily as good as my 1987x.

It’s pricey, but well worth it. For me, it’s an essential piece of gear that I now use every day. Hopefully this report is of use to you if you’re looking at the TAE.

Last edited: