• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

• Thread starter Michael Roe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

1234_thumbwar

Reaction score
It's pretty smooth with my 212 greenbacks
I guess I could buy a single greenback and throw it in my blues jr then use the blues jr cab with my SV20c till I get a 2x12 cab made

I kind of want to see if I can get a head shell made for this combo even if I have to read knobs upside down. The 1x10 aspect is nice but I’m gonna end up using external cabs more than the vt junior it came with

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Well shit....

The SV212A didn't impress me much compared to any generic 4x12 but with those speakers and the open back?.... Hot damn, now I kinda want one!

The price is just too fking insane to be loaded with Vtypes. Why would Marshall not pair the SV20 with Greenbacks??? I will never understand that!

Also... Did anyone notice or feel that Johan seemed kinda skeptical of the SV20 in the first video? It seemed like with each video he grew more and more fond of it and this last one he looked like he was having a blast as usual.
IMO, a mic'd cab recording is not the same as a cab "in the room". Youi just don't feel the cab, same goes with amps. For what I like to hear & feel, I need at least one 4x12. If the main goal is recording, all you really need is a 1x12. Just my take.

Tincup

Reaction score
So far have tried, 1x12 closed back and open back cab with GB, neo creamback, neo V. 2x12 closed back with g12 30 70th anny and GB. 2x12 open back with neo CB‘s. 2x10 closed back with alnico red coat and swamp thing. My favorite so far is the 1x12 open back NEO V. I’m going to try out the NEO CB in the closed back 2x12 at some point possibly, but I have a 1960A coming tomorrow so we will see.

Edit: The quad of G12T-75’s in the 1960A sound pretty damn good too. If you’re into 4x12’s. I‘m not kicking the 1x12 NEO V out of bed though. It’s a lot more manageable, and not as loud. But there’s a fun factor with the 4x12.

Last edited:

middy

Reaction score

Marshall SV20H vs 100W SUPER LEAD through the same CAB!​

Johan isn't quite done. :dude:

Not much difference at all through the mics. I’m sure it’s quite different in the room, the 100w will thump your chest a lot more, which is great for hard rock / metal in a large venue, not so much for other situations.

cccc

Reaction score
Not to be disrespectful, but Marshall have made this as a low-wattage user-friendly amp. What more can they do? They already have the 1 watt series!
I would imagine its an ideal middle ground between 50/100 watt stacks and the 1 watts.

My questions, ( if anyone knows yet), are: is it loud enough for a 4 to 5 piece band at 20w? Also, how much clean headroom at 20w?
Biggest blunder of all time by Marshall is they only made and offered the 1 watt series ( JMP, JTM, JCM 800, JVM and the JCM 2000) in 2012 as limited edition 50th anniversary editions .

They should be offered year round as a regular stock item they would sell millions and millions every year.

These are vastly superior to the mediocre at best DSL 1 watt currently offered and can be played at TV volume levels without any loss of true vintage Marshall tone . No attenuator needed.

For more info and samples :

Moony

Reaction score
Johan isn't quite done

I'm glad he did that video.
It shows that you just can't get the sound of a big amp out of a small one and/or that components matter.

The bigger one sounds much more rounded, fatter and has that aggressiveness without being too harsh.
The SV20 has some weird hollow mids going on that remind me of the Origin 20 which has the same transformers. It has some unpleasant spikiness and doesn't have the low end growl.
Also the low mid bark isn't quite there but probably the best you can get out of that size of an amp.

The SV20H doesn't sound that bad of course - but I honestly would understand everyone who keeps his big 100W ones and uses them live and for recording.
If you look for a 20W Plexi in a smaller enclosure the SV20H is probably the best buy.
If I had one I would mod it to get rid of the harsh treble spikes and add a bit of depth/low end.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I'm glad he did that video.
It shows that you just can't get the sound of a big amp out of a small one and/or that components matter.

The bigger one sounds much more rounded, fatter and has that aggressiveness without being too harsh.
The SV20 has some weird hollow mids going on that remind me of the Origin 20 which has the same transformers. It has some unpleasant spikiness and doesn't have the low end growl.
Also the low mid bark isn't quite there but probably the best you can get out of that size of an amp.

The SV20H doesn't sound that bad of course - but I honestly would understand everyone who keeps his big 100W ones and uses them live and for recording.
If you look for a 20W Plexi in a smaller enclosure the SV20H is probably the best buy.
If I had one I would mod it to get rid of the harsh treble spikes and add a bit of depth/low end.
Have to agree, and it's in no way bashing the Studio amps. They're great little amps for what they are, but anyone that thinks they sound as good as a 100w, only at a lower volume is just kidding themselves. Like you mentioned, the SV20 has this boxiness that I hear in mine and in every video (or recording) I've heard. I attribute it to the missing lows and also some missing highs that are present in the 100w, which results in a perceived mid-hump. Johan also mentioned this at the end of one of the videos. Still great little amps.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Biggest blunder of all time by Marshall is they only made and offered the 1 watt series ( JMP, JTM, JCM 800, JVM and the JCM 2000) in 2012 as limited edition 50th anniversary editions .

They should be offered year round as a regular stock item they would sell millions and millions every year.

These are vastly superior to the mediocre at best DSL 1 watt currently offered and can be played at TV volume levels without any loss of true vintage Marshall tone . No attenuator needed.

For more info and samples :

Don't know, IMO, a bit of a novelty, and once a guy reduces himself to playing at the level of a 1w amp, he may as well start looking at modelling technology. While the 1w amps in the video produce a good recording, today's modelers can produce a recording tone that would be indistinguishable from the tones in the video (IMO). I have no doubt that a 1w amp would sound a bit puny through an actual guitar cab, and I say this, because I find even a 20w amp to be a bit lacking. Just my opinion, based on what I've used, haven't gone as small as a 1w (and probably never will).

Last edited:

ken Tucky

Reaction score
Recording capabilities aside, I have a JTM 1 watter and with regards to a NMV vibe, it's the best home practice amp I have ever used. And I've tried them all, that would include other low-watt rigs, modelling software, re-amped or otherwise attenuated big amps, profiling...all of it. For many, many years. My JTM 1 watter just feels like the real thing. It has a vibe that is essential to me for inspiration. It feels alive and unpredictable, leaves your playing vulnerable to mistakes if you don't stay on top of it and punishes just as much as it rewards you. Just like a real plexi circuit. And that's what is hard to capture if you're sitting in an apt at TV level volume. IMO the JTM 1 watter does it perfectly.

The studio series sound good but are way too low powered for my own wants/needs in a band situation. The SV20 I tried out was about as loud as my old 2061x which itself got completely drowned out and buried once a drummer and a bass player with an SVT joined in the mix. And regardless, I like playing really fucking loud. It all depends on your situation. I can see people finding the studio series to be a useful tool for compromise if they have to accommodate a low volume cover band or have recording environment restraints to meet.

I just write my own music, play it loud when I gig and part with some money to record it loud in a studio where volume isn't an issue if I want to lay some tracks down. The 1 watt JTM and a 50 watt plexi meet my own needs perfectly for that.

Moony

Reaction score
@ken Tucky

I liked the 1W anniversary amps a lot, too.
Hopefully Marshall will release another such kind of amps.
Maybe 5 watts (switchable to 0,5) with a 12BH7A in the power amp.
And of course all tube design so they would stand above a Blackstar HT-5.

In regards to best Marshall for home use at lower volume - I personally think the JVM is the best.
I play a JVM215C combo with a single 12" speaker for years and haven't found something better.
It's just the design of the circuit, most of the sound from the preamp and a clean poweramp with a lot of negative feedback.
Santiago Alvarez who designed the amp told me once that he himself wanted an amp that sounds also great at lower volume levels - and I honestly think that he did a great job with the JVM.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Biden's got nothing to do with it. He doesn't rule here but we got the same problem... if you want to get philosophical, it's the western capitalism running its course and reaching the end of its run where all and everything is concentrated at one point, one owner... next they'll come for your blood...
.. ok, I'll shut up too... ha ha..
We've just accomplished in 200 years what Rome accomplished in 2000 years, sadly we are defintely on our way out...

tallcoolone

Reaction score
Both amps sound very close in this video, my 1959 and SV20H dont sound anything alike. :hmm:
Mine do, which is why I'm selling the 100w and picking up prob another Friedman. I get some people need 100w on stage, I just am not one of them. Both of my Studio amps blow away my Vintage Modern volume wise--not one place we play would ever allow more stage volume than they have on tap. That plus every 100w pre 1990 Marshall I've ever had sounded like crap choked down--at sm/med club volume I like the little amp much more. And personally I never play louder than that. Ever. Hey that's why one size doesn't fit all.

IMO the Studio amps are--by a mile--the best thing Marshall has released since 1990. Although I haven't spent any time with an Astoria Custom which I would love to. I literally wished for Marshall to release big bottle 20w wattage repros of these amps for decades, so very happy they finally did. They don't have to be for everyone, but judging by their popularity they work for quite a few

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Mine do, which is why I'm selling the 100w and picking up prob another Friedman. I get some people need 100w on stage, I just am not one of them. Both of my Studio amps blow away my Vintage Modern volume wise--not one place we play would ever allow more stage volume than they have on tap. That plus every 100w pre 1990 Marshall I've ever had sounded like crap choked down--at sm/med club volume I like the little amp much more. And personally I never play louder than that. Ever. Hey that's why one size doesn't fit all.

IMO the Studio amps are--by a mile--the best thing Marshall has released since 1990. Although I haven't spent any time with an Astoria Custom which I would love to. I literally wished for Marshall to release big bottle 20w wattage repros of these amps for decades, so very happy they finally did. They don't have to be for everyone, but judging by their popularity they work for quite a few
I'm not ready to sell my 100w, I've only had it less than a year and still discovering what I can do with it. :yesway:

tallcoolone

Reaction score
I'm not ready to sell my 100w, I've only had it less than a year and still discovering what I can do with it. :yesway:
I hear ya--I'm a gear addict so if I'm not using it regularly after a year or so it usually goes on the block to make room for something else I think I 'need'. Played the big amp at an outdoor festival last year and it sounded glorious but afterwards the entire band let me know they were not impressed lol. If volume was not a concern I'd keep mine as well

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
My suggestion would be to resist selling. After having a couple of 1959's and a couple of 2203's, and regretting selling them both, I'll be keeping my re-acquired 1959 SLP RI and 2203x for a very long time. For that "in the room" punch, nothing else compares, including my 50 watters. Not really interested in whether anyone agrees, I know how they all compare, and I know what I like. :)

Last edited: