• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

• Thread starter Michael Roe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I toyed around a bit with the SV this morning, threw around a short clip of it into the Captor load, into IRs (SVT IRs for the bass, G12H30 IRs for guitars). Left rhythm guitars (all rhythm guitars are doubled) and lead part are Les Paul > Maxon OD9 > High Treble input, right side rhythm guitars are Les Paul > treble booster (modded clone of the EHX Screaming Bird) > Normal input, bas is my Jazz Bass knockoff with P Bass pickup straight into the Normal input, drums are the Drummer VI in Logic X. A bit of verb, delay and compression added at mixdown.

Nothing too fancy (and I suck at bass), but gives a snippet of what I can get with the amp going for a Black Sabbath vibe in about an hour.

I wished it was longer !!
Thanks for posting it
Mitch

junk notes

Reaction score
I did fail to mention this was my preference with me using my open back 1x12 with a Celestion Heritage G12H55hz.

I just noticed a tad more volume and dynamics set like that.
Excellent combo with a JTM45 :yesway: Try decoupled from the floor (w/casters), sounds punchy.

junk notes

Reaction score
OK, I didn't try that one. Obviously, when I got my SV20H, I tried plugging into all 4 inputs and played them each for a while. I probably tried what you just mentioned at initial purchase time, but only then. I'll try it later today, but I'll just keep my finding to myself, whether I like it as an option or not.

My head goes to a 2x12 with two Celestion's, a Vintage 30 and a Creamback 65.
Less the volume attribute; I view the SV20H exactly as a Plexi. Decades of infos on configs :yesway:

For the new era of owners in these mini Plexi's that are tone conscious and looking for variety, I would definitely suggest picking up a Y cable, or at the least look into incorporating it on a trial run and see how that would fair with your sound.

- When I do use the Y, more often I come off the Y into a single pedal, and then jumper into the other channel. (I posted a diagram of this in another topic) The pedal would be set static, on top of the head. Tweak and mix channels and the pedal's effect to taste.
One could just as easily place it on the floor - basically a 3-cable method; not really sneaky, just another way to look at jumper-ing. ;-)

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I usually don't do much recording, but decided to do a quickie today. Didn't spend much time on this, so go easy on me dudes. I don't play the solo "exactly" like Tony, just close'ish and what feels natural. Used a backing track (everything but guitars), so guitars are SV20 only. 4x12 mic'd with an SM58, guitar straight into SV20 (top 2 inputs), no double tracking, pedals, or anything fancy, just a small amount of post reverb and delay (on the solo).

Last edited:

Michael Roe

Reaction score
I started working on this one and went to send my brother a clip to see if he would do the bass for it. Somehow in the process lost the whole song???
It was a karaoke version so I tweaked the rest (Drums, Bass, vocals) and was adding my guitar to it.
Here is what my brother got to hear....Some SV tones captured with my Kemper

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I started working on this one and went to send my brother a clip to see if he would do the bass for it. Somehow in the process lost the whole song???
It was a karaoke version so I tweaked the rest (Drums, Bass, vocals) and was adding my guitar to it.
Here is what my brother got to hear....Some SV tones captured with my Kemper

Sounds good. I had a backing track to that one also, so here's a short clip to compare to the Kemper. Not near as processed as the Kemper recording, just quick and dirty, with a tiny bit of chorus on the lead guitar. Same setup as previous clip, no pedals.

Last edited:

krb813

Reaction score
Can somebody recommend the type of cable I need to go between (jump) the inputs. A link to where I could find one would be helpful. Amazon maybe?

WellBurnTheSky

Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any good patch cable will do, but I bought one of these because it's cool, compact and made just for the one job.

https://Reverb(dot)com/item/15152515-george-l-s-jtm-jmp-marshall-plexi-amp-gold-plated-jumper

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
Yes. Short one is all I used until I bought the cool little one I posted above.

Your example link looks exactly like mine i made. I have a bunch of George L connectors and cable.

I made 3 just to have some backups. Only thing about George L is they are better used in a more permanent situation like wiring a custom pedalboard. Sound great but plugging/unplugging a lot id be gentle with it.

Last edited:

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your example link looks exactly like mine i made. I have a bunch of George L connectors and cable.

I made 3 just to have some backups. Only thing about George L is they are better used in a more permanent situation like wiring a custom pedalboard. Sound great but plugging/unplugging a lot id be gentle with it.

You could possibly be the person that informed me of these little beauties. :cheers:

krb813

Reaction score
Any recommendations on a 2×12 cabinet to go with the SV20H? Not necessarily Marshall. I was looking at MojoTone. Also, speaker recommendations would be helpful too.