• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

• Thread starter Michael Roe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Orys

Reaction score
I'm planning to use the volume real low till I figure out where i'm gonna move next.
The plan is to go live on the mountain and build a room for my playing.
But for now living in a flat I have to get the best and cheapest attenuator so I'm on the hunt.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the amp. SV20C. Hooray!!!!
Now after an attenuator.
Tone King Iron Man II mini anyone?
Is it better than the Weber minimass 50?
I'm asking because buying from Weber website the shipping cost alone is $105 :(
$105 for shipping alone?! Where are you located? A little over two years ago I paid $135 for a Weber Minimass 50 total including shipping!

It’s the only attenuator I own so I have nothing to compare it to for a test.

What I do know is it sounds great, and it’s a quality built product made in the US.

There is a slight loss of high end when attenuating, so the Minimass has a two position treble boost switch, +6db and +3db.

More than enough to restore the little bit of treble loss, mine is set on the 3db setting.

They are also made by hand, one by one as the orders come in, and made in the US to boot.

lespaulsg

Reaction score
IMG-2489.jpg

so ive got both of these in at the moment - if youre looking for bedroom volumes, to me it seems the bugera has a more usable range whereas the same amp settings on the weber has a much smaller range of bedroom volume

Orys

Reaction score
$105 for shipping alone?! Where are you located? A little over two years ago I paid $135 for a Weber Minimass 50 total including shipping!

It’s the only attenuator I own so I have nothing to compare it to for a test.

What I do know is it sounds great, and it’s a quality built product made in the US.

There is a slight loss of high end when attenuating, so the Minimass has a two position treble boost switch, +6db and +3db.

More than enough to restore the little bit of treble loss, mine is set on the 3db setting.

They are also made by hand, one by one as the orders come in, and made in the US to boot.

The mini mass is $181 and if you want the headphone output it's another $30 and/or the footswitch then another $40.
And shipping to Cyprus EU is $125 by Fedex or $98 by DHL.
And there's approx. 25% tax on the total.
I don't think Weber will declare the parcel for less.
Can't find a used one either. :(

lespaulsg

Reaction score
The mini mass is $181 and if you want the headphone output it's another $30 and/or the footswitch then another $40.
And shipping to Cyprus EU is $125 by Fedex or $98 by DHL.
And there's approx. 25% tax on the total.
I don't think Weber will declare the parcel for less.
Can't find a used one either. :(

from my very limited experience, i wouldnt bend over backwards trying to locate a weber mini mass

try the bugera powersoak - i believe thomann has its own branded by harley benton and its essentially the same as the powersoak https://www.thomannmusic.com/harley_benton_pa_100_power_attenuator.htm

Orys

Reaction score

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Has anybody put KT66 into their SV20 for a JTM45 vibe, how did they sound?

lespaulsg

Reaction score
its an odd thing - even attenuated, low volume, etc, i get ear fatigue from this amp, even at lower decibels (70-75). I tried eq'ing away the treble but it still happens. Theres gotta be some frequencies that are making my ears hurt. Not a ringing or anything, just sensitive/notice my ears

i havent noticed this with origin 20, or15 or drri. Has anyone else experienced this?

WellBurnTheSky

Reaction score
its an odd thing - even attenuated, low volume, etc, i get ear fatigue from this amp, even at lower decibels (70-75). I tried eq'ing away the treble but it still happens. Theres gotta be some frequencies that are making my ears hurt. Not a ringing or anything, just sensitive/notice my ears

i havent noticed this with origin 20, or15 or drri. Has anyone else experienced this?
What cab/speakers are you using it with ? I found it markedly ear fatiguing with V30s (in a Mesa 4x12 OS), more so than other amps (the friend who owns the cab uses it with a Bogner Shiva and is very happy with the setup).

lespaulsg

Reaction score
What cab/speakers are you using it with ? I found it markedly ear fatiguing with V30s (in a Mesa 4x12 OS), more so than other amps (the friend who owns the cab uses it with a Bogner Shiva and is very happy with the setup).

im using an orange ppc212v - 16ohm creambacks

maybe i need to clip the bright cap

Last edited:

lespaulsg

Reaction score

well, i threw a keeley compressor on there and it seemed to cut out the high frequencies that were piercing my ears :)

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Purchased a matched and burned in pair of 6CA7s (I use them in my Plexis and JCM800s). I will be trying out this weekend. Looking for good results.:fingersx:
I’m gonna try a pair in my SC20, I’ve heard good thing about these tubes. Do you know if the JJ’s and the EH’s are the same tube?

Normally I’m not a fan of JJ’s, and my tech recommends EH tubes, actually he recommends mostly Russian made tubes in general over Chinese made.

If you don’t mind Junk, have you noticed much of a difference in the amps you tried them in?