The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

• Thread starter Michael Roe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlueX

Reaction score
Has anyone compared the Weber Mini with the Iron Man mini.

I use the Weber with my SV20 but wonder am I getting the best out of it at home.
With the risk of repeating myself, and not answering your question: I have compared MinMASS with my home-built JohnH attenuator, together with SV20. The JohnH sounds far better, so yes, you can get better sound. I have no experience with Ironman, though.

faerdi

Reaction score
Guys,

Has anyone compared the Weber Mini with the Iron Man mini.

I use the Weber with my SV20 but wonder am I getting the best out of it at home.

G
I do not own the Weber Mini but I do own a full sized and a mini Iron Man and they both sound (equally) glorious. I never use my SV20 without an Iron Man.

G the wildman

Reaction score
I do not own the Weber Mini but I do own a full sized and a mini Iron Man and they both sound (equally) glorious. I never use my SV20 without an Iron Man.
What about the ohms. My sv cab is 16ohms. Iron man appears to be 8. So is that not suitable?

faerdi

Reaction score
What about the ohms. My sv cab is 16ohms. Iron man appears to be 8. So is that not suitable?
I changed the stock V Type speaker for an 8 ohm G12H65 speaker in order to match the impediance.
Stock impediance is not suitable unfortunately.

Reaction score
I am interested in this and have been listening to demos since I read the above post.

Has anyone tried the Two Notes Audio Engineering Torpedo Captor? It's about $150 less and uses a similar concept, I believe.

jeffb

Reaction score
Less difference than I expected (but what do I know)
Could be! ?

I have not had a chance to listen on my studio cans, but cathode bias on these 20 watt Marshalls which are already starved for voltage at full power seem to show less variation than something like a full size NMV or a DSL where differences can be significant (or even the Class5, where tubes really make a difference) With my ORI20H for example, the differences in tube brands/types are there in the room, and from a "feel" aspect...but that doesn't always translate to a recording.

jeffb

Reaction score
Alright- gave a listen with the studio cans

Subtle but the difference is there. As expected KT66 a bit more round, and more low end content/meat in the single notes. El34s have some lows shaved off which makes the sound more mid focused, brighter and thinner.- highs are little nastier in a bad way.

I prefer the KT66 - sounds more "Jimmy Page".

I really wish he'd run that amp through his 55hz H30 cabs (one or both). He's done some 55HZ G12Ms, but those are not really my thing.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
Less difference than I expected (but what do I know)
I haven't tried KT-66s in an SV. I have used KT-66 in the mini Jubilee. In the room I can hear a difference. The cleans with the 66s are crisper with more sparkle. Run dirty I would desribe it as less modern sounding. Of course the SV is supposed to be more dependent on power tube distortion while the Jubilee is preamp driven, so my experience may not translate. One would expect the amp using more preamp to be less affected, though. But I would want to hear it in the room. I think Johan did his best to capture any difference so I appreciate Johan's effort as always.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Could be! ?

I have not had a chance to listen on my studio cans, but cathode bias on these 20 watt Marshalls which are already starved for voltage at full power seem to show less variation than something like a full size NMV or a DSL where differences can be significant (or even the Class5, where tubes really make a difference) With my ORI20H for example, the differences in tube brands/types are there in the room, and from a "feel" aspect...but that doesn't always translate to a recording.
That's been my experience when trying different power tubes in the Studio amps, the difference is much less noticeable than in amps running at nominal voltages.

1234_thumbwar

Reaction score
Does anybody know how much louder a JTM45 is compared to an SV20? I’ve been playing my SV20c at home a bunch with and without an attenuator and I crank the amp unattenuated in my apartment regularly. I know the JTM45 is a different circuit but I wanted to know if the extra 10w would be a noticeable in volume

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Does anybody know how much louder a JTM45 is compared to an SV20? I’ve been playing my SV20c at home a bunch with and without an attenuator and I crank the amp unattenuated in my apartment regularly. I know the JTM45 is a different circuit but I wanted to know if the extra 10w would be a noticeable in volume
Yes, a JTM45 is noticeably louder than the SV20. Hard to quantify, but I'd say roughly 1/3 louder. It's also fuller sounding, which is most likely due to the larger transformers and KT66 output tubes running at "optimal" voltages (vs. EL34's running at lower than "optimal" voltages in the SV20).

G the wildman

Reaction score
You will definitely have hearing problems soon.

1234_thumbwar

Reaction score
Yes, a JTM45 is noticeably louder than the SV20. Hard to quantify, but I'd say roughly 1/3 louder. It's also fuller sounding, which is most likely due to the larger transformers and KT66 output tubes running at "optimal" voltages (vs. EL34's running at lower than "optimal" voltages in the SV20).
I think I might have to pass on a JTM45 for a little while then. At least not until I’m playing outdoor gigs or something like that

1234_thumbwar

Reaction score
You will definitely have hearing problems soon.
I don’t stand in the same room as the amp typically. I’ll jumper the channels with volume ii at 6 or 7 and volume I at 1 or 2, turn the amp so it’s sideways from where I stand, then walk maybe 15 or 20 feet away to another room then let it rip if I play without at attenuator. I know I should use the attenuator if I’m gonna play for hours but I only play for half an hour or 45 minutes at a time without an attenuator and always standing far away from the amp

G the wildman

Reaction score
I don’t stand in the same room as the amp typically. I’ll jumper the channels with volume ii at 6 or 7 and volume I at 1 or 2, turn the amp so it’s sideways from where I stand, then walk maybe 15 or 20 feet away to another room then let it rip if I play without at attenuator. I know I should use the attenuator if I’m gonna play for hours but I only play for half an hour or 45 minutes at a time without an attenuator and always standing far away from the amp
Coolio,

Just looking out for a fellow axe man!

G

Fuzzyreets

Reaction score
HI Folks,

I just got my SV20H a few weeks ago and I am totally amazed by how great it is. I feel like it's a sound I've been looking for for a long time. Anyway, I wanted to start digging into recording with it using Impulse Responses which I've never done before.

I started checking out Impulse Responses because someone mentioned it to me on another thread and a good way to record at home and I started looking into it and I'm confused. I'm confused about whether I should use the DI out on my Marshall head and go into the Focusrite(?) or use the unbalanced out from the Rockcrusher and that to the Focusrite or what. Then after figuring that out I still do not after about an hour of reading/videos understand how to get Impulse Responses working on my Mac with GarageBand. I'm totally lost at this point and looking for some direction or somewhere there is a step by step on how to set this up that would work with my setup WITHOUT blowing anything up. All I'm really looking to do is use my Marshall head for home recording with GarageBand with the easiest but quality method available without mic'ing anything. Help needed. Thanks!

booh

Reaction score
HI Folks,

I just got my SV20H a few weeks ago and I am totally amazed by how great it is. I feel like it's a sound I've been looking for for a long time. Anyway, I wanted to start digging into recording with it using Impulse Responses which I've never done before.

I started checking out Impulse Responses because someone mentioned it to me on another thread and a good way to record at home and I started looking into it and I'm confused. I'm confused about whether I should use the DI out on my Marshall head and go into the Focusrite(?) or use the unbalanced out from the Rockcrusher and that to the Focusrite or what. Then after figuring that out I still do not after about an hour of reading/videos understand how to get Impulse Responses working on my Mac with GarageBand. I'm totally lost at this point and looking for some direction or somewhere there is a step by step on how to set this up that would work with my setup WITHOUT blowing anything up. All I'm really looking to do is use my Marshall head for home recording with GarageBand with the easiest but quality method available without mic'ing anything. Help needed. Thanks!
I'm using the DI out of my sv20 or the line out of my attenuator into my audio interface. The result is similar. As long as you keep the speaker (load) connected, you won't blow anything.