The photography thread.

• Thread starter Blokkadeleider
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bhatta

Reaction score
Here's some more from the trips

Sunset over the mountains
IMG-20240609-WA0021.jpg

The moon at about 7am
IMG-20240609-WA0022.jpg
The valley below....
IMG-20240609-WA0019.jpg
The Deodar forest
IMG-20240609-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20240609-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20240609-WA0011.jpg
IMG-20240609-WA0009.jpg

The butterflies of Devalsari
IMG-20240609-WA0000.jpg

Couple of early morning birds waiting for the worms

IMG-20240609-WA0017.jpg
IMG-20240609-WA0014.jpg

Will share some more. Looks like can attach only ten at a time!

Cheers

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's some more from the trips

Sunset over the mountains
View attachment 153223

The moon at about 7am
View attachment 153224
The valley below....
View attachment 153225
The Deodar forest
View attachment 153226

View attachment 153230
View attachment 153229
View attachment 153227

The butterflies of Devalsari
View attachment 153228

Couple of early morning birds waiting for the worms

View attachment 153232
View attachment 153231

Will share some more. Looks like can attach only ten at a time!

Cheers
Nice shots, bro. :yesway: I love the forests. Might take a drive to the Adirondacks this week, I'm 40 mins away.

bhatta

Reaction score
Nice shots, bro. :yesway: I love the forests. Might take a drive to the Adirondacks this week, I'm 40 mins away.
Thanks Vin !

I love forests too...
I love coupling forests with hills/mountains.

Just checked out Adirondacks and the photos on Google are amazing!
40 mins, take a hike 😁
Wish I was so close, I have to travel about 2-3 hours to reach my nearest ones.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Vin !

I love forests too...
I love coupling forests with hills/mountains.

Just checked out Adirondacks and the photos on Google are amazing!
40 mins, take a hike 😁
Wish I was so close, I have to travel about 2-3 hours to reach my nearest ones.
I've hiked a few places there:
5th Peak Mt. (2x)
Prospect Mt. (2x)
Tongue Mt.
Hadley Mt. (2x) - camped one time overnight near a ledge overlooking the huge valley. Orange & red flaming sunset, just beautiful.
Deer Leap trail

Just the freshness of the air alone in the ADK's is amazing.

If you love the mountains and hiking, the Adirondacks make for a very nice 2 or 3-day weekend getaway: drive to Lake George, get a motel just outside the village (cheaper), and give Prospect, 5th Peak, or the just the Deer Leap trail, a go. You can do Prospect right from the village, or the others up in Bolton Landing. LOTS of stuff to photograph in Lake George.

Last edited:

BlueX

Reaction score
Nearby church ruin, from 12th or 13th century at the end of the Viking age when Christianity took over. There's another, bigger ruin in the same area, and the current church (from 19th century) of course. The ruins are popular for service and weddings, when weather allows.

I will try to remember to get shots of the other two as well.

Lilla Rytterne.JPG

bhatta

Reaction score
I've hiked a few places there:
5th Peak Mt. (2x)
Prospect Mt. (2x)
Tongue Mt.
Hadley Mt. (2x) - camped one time overnight near a ledge overlooking the huge valley. Orange & red flaming sunset, just beautiful.
Deer Leap trail

Just the freshness of the air alone in the ADK's is amazing.

If you love the mountains and hiking, the Adirondacks make for a very nice 2 or 3-day weekend getaway: drive to Lake George, get a motel just outside the village (cheaper), and give Prospect, 5th Peak, or the just the Deer Leap trail, a go. You can do Prospect right from the village, or the others up in Bolton Landing. LOTS of stuff to photograph in Lake George.
You are quite a trekker!
I have a fondness of the Himalayas...
Highest I've been to is about 15k feet ...
The beginnings of river Ganga and thereabouts.

The Adirondacks seems amazing.. more like the western ghats nearabouts here, but with snow!
Hey ho!

Waiting for photos of your next visit 👍

Cheers

Last edited:

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
@Dogs of Doom - do you have any opinions on the use of $10 UV lens filters? I bought lens filters just so I can protect my lenses w/o having to constantly deal with lens caps. I just don't know if they mess with your photos in any way. Like maybe glare, or loss of sharpness, etc.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
@Dogs of Doom - do you have any opinions on the use of $10 UV lens filters? I bought lens filters just so I can protect my lenses w/o having to constantly deal with lens caps. I just don't know if they mess with your photos in any way. Like maybe glare, or loss of sharpness, etc.
a $10 filter turns a $2,000 lens into a $10 lens...

I never use them. I used to, but, I actually started using expensive German ones, by Heliopan, early on. There was a kid, I met online, that had a debilitating disease, & he asked them if he could sell their lenses to earn some money, telling them his story.

They agreed & he sold them to me at a major discount.

for instance, these are still about the same price, but, I got them for around $40.

The kid died of the disease within a couple years of starting it up & from when I met him.

The better filters have certain coatings that help fight off lens flare. Filters flare a lot more than front elements, because front elements are curved & the filter is flat...

If you are going to take an expensive lens to the beach, or to the desert & are expecting a wind storm, a filter is a good idea. At the beach, salt can get in everything & wreak havoc. Salt will eat/corrode the front element, & you also need to be careful of the camera body & especially changing lenses, getting salt inside.

Of course, a wind storm can sand blast the front element...

Once upon a time, I shot some beach volleyball, & took my 200/1.8 lens. There is no front filter made for that. Then, they had some guy that worked for AVP, who shot water at me & drenched the front of my lens...

I always wear a hoodie on my lenses though. That protects them from damage, in a lot of ways. If you drop it, the hood will break the fall from the front element. It also protects from things hitting it, at off axis angles...

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
a $10 filter turns a $2,000 lens into a $10 lens...

I never use them. I used to, but, I actually started using expensive German ones, by Heliopan, early on. There was a kid, I met online, that had a debilitating disease, & he asked them if he could sell their lenses to earn some money, telling them his story.

They agreed & he sold them to me at a major discount.

for instance, these are still about the same price, but, I got them for around $40.

The kid died of the disease within a couple years of starting it up & from when I met him.

The better filters have certain coatings that help fight off lens flare. Filters flare a lot more than front elements, because front elements are curved & the filter is flat...

If you are going to take an expensive lens to the beach, or to the desert & are expecting a wind storm, a filter is a good idea. At the beach, salt can get in everything & wreak havoc. Salt will eat/corrode the front element, & you also need to be careful of the camera body & especially changing lenses, getting salt inside.

Of course, a wind storm can sand blast the front element...

Once upon a time, I shot some beach volleyball, & took my 200/1.8 lens. There is no front filter made for that. Then, they had some guy that worked for AVP, who shot water at me & drenched the front of my lens...

I always wear a hoodie on my lenses though. That protects them from damage, in a lot of ways. If you drop it, the hood will break the fall from the front element. It also protects from things hitting it, at off axis angles...
Thanks. Good info. Expensive filters aren't worth it for me, so I'll just box up the cheapies. I have hoods for all my lenses too. Mostly I just get tired of dealing with lens caps all the time.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a question:

On a full frame camera using a (50mm) lens, your shutter speed should be 2x your focal length, or 100.

Since an APS-C camera crops that 50mm to 80mm (50 x 1.6), should your shutter speed then be set to 160?

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I've always heard 1x...

100mm = 1/100 sec
200mm = 1/200 sec

if you want a more safe handholding speed, you can go 2x.

but, yes, that is full frame.

w/ 1.6 you would do x's 1.6...

100mm = 1/160 sec or better

if you are doing x's 2, then 1/160 = 1/320 sec...

bhatta

Reaction score
Here's a question:

On a full frame camera using a (50mm) lens, your shutter speed should be 2x your focal length, or 100.

Since an APS-C camera crops that 50mm to 80mm (50 x 1.6), should your shutter speed then be set to 160?
Yep! That's what I have seen in most videos that I've gone thru online, utoob!
Same thing was suggested by my brother, and he's pro level .

I've always heard 1x...

100mm = 1/100 sec
200mm = 1/200 sec

if you want a more safe handholding speed, you can go 2x.

but, yes, that is full frame.

w/ 1.6 you would do x's 1.6...

100mm = 1/160 sec or better

if you are doing x's 2, then 1/160 = 1/320 sec...
That's what I've been told too.

Cheers

VicRattlehead

Reaction score
I used to take photo's quite often, these days my camera is basically reserved for photographing gear before i tear it down for repair & restoration. Here's a few i took from 2016 onwards, ive had to scale these down quite drastically, the original images are 6000x4000 at 300dpi on my PC

Green Lizard, Italy, Pompeii

Green Lizard Pompeii - Enhanced-small jpg.jpeg

Random Flower

Flower - Enhanced-1,  jpg small.jpg

Plane Wing - Somewhere over Europe

Plane wing - Enhanced-small jpeg.jpeg

Strahov Library, Prague

Strahov Library, Prague - Enhanced-small jpg.jpg

Ceiling, Seville Catherdral, Spain

Seville Cathedral Roof - Enhanced-1 jpg.small.jpg

Underground baths, Seville, Spain

Underground Baths, Royal Alcazar - Enhanced-small jpg.jpeg