The photography thread.

• Thread starter Blokkadeleider
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Andrew Freeman - Last In Line...

View attachment 152908

This show, the lights, they got a new all LED light system. Seemed pretty elaborate. The problem? They had all the lights as backlights & they were all aimed at the audience blinding everyone & when the lights weren't aimed directly in your eyes, they washed out the band.

I took these from on stage. I hopped up & shot. There were times where the lights were tame, & I could get a somewhat decent shot. This was definitely a time for shooting in raw, just to get mediocre shots...

here's a couple of shots showing jpgs from the show:

pretty much the audience view the whole show: (from the band before)
View attachment 152909

that was when the light wasn't totally blinding you...

This is still from on stage, but, w/o raw adjustments to map the colors a bit. The Vivian shot above was pretty much washed out in red/pink. They seemed to be obsessed w/ the red/pink all night...

View attachment 152910

In raw, I was able to change/customize the white balance to get rid of the pink to a certain degree. I still had to go in & desaturate the pink, purple & red a bit...

this is a quick raw adjustment (same shot) using white balance (I used the Gibson headstock face for WB) & a little tone tweak. Still not perfect, but, you'd never get it that good w/ jpg...

View attachment 152911
Wow! Cool shots!
Horrid way to light a show. Just ridiculous. You think they would know by now.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Wow! Cool shots!
Horrid way to light a show. Just ridiculous. You think they would know by now.
thanks!

it was totally the venue... they just got new lights & set them up for a disco or something... :facepalm:...

It seems that people that manage these venues do not realize the importance of front lighting & especially spots... IMO, any professional show, whether music concert, or acting, you have to have spot lights. Even a circus usually has spots...

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
thanks!

it was totally the venue... they just got new lights & set them up for a disco or something... :facepalm:...

It seems that people that manage these venues do not realize the importance of front lighting & especially spots... IMO, any professional show, whether music concert, or acting, you have to have spot lights. Even a circus usually has spots...

I know it was just a high school but my bro's school rock band show has a follow spot! Awesome!
Unfortunately, no other white front lights. When out of the spot, you are essentially in the dark.

We use 4 LED on each side and 2 of those on each side are white aiming at the mic stands with every scene.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
Another macroid. 35mm lens.

This flower is about 2.5" wide. I think what I'm seeing in the center, is "hairs" on the buds with dew drops on the tips. (I took it at 6am, and the ground was really wet.)

1718315616646.png

1718316242585.png

Last edited:

Trumpet Rider

Reaction score
Isn't that in Dallas and didn't they shoot part of "Logan's Run" there? I think I was there about 40 years ago when I was in the Air Force.
Wow, I barely remember "Logan's Run," but I do remember it. The architect who designed this space may have been influenced by the architect in Dallas. These pics were shot in Lenexa, Kansas. It is the spillway of the dam on Lake Lenexa, a small reservoir in a Kansas City suburb.

Trumpet Rider

Reaction score
what's the focal length & crop?

I'd probably bring down the exposure a bit. Probably best to speed up the shutter speed.

here, I opened the image in photoshop & duplicated the layer & made the duplicate layer a "multiply" layer, which brings out the shadows. I then duplicate that layer a few x's, so it darkened the shadows on the moon.

View attachment 152184

If you don't shoot in raw format, this is a good opportunity to shoot in raw & learn how to process your images, to get the image you want, w/ the information that you captured. Still though, your exposure isn't too far off. It still has the detail, just not optimal in the way that the camera processed it...

moon.JPG

You're right, DOGS. Vinny took a great shot that has a lot of potential. I adjusted the gamma and then worked the light to make it more spherical, more 3D. Hope you don't mind, Vinsanitizer.

Last edited:

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
moon-jpg.153202
View attachment 153202

You're right, DOGS, Vinny took a great shot that has a lot of potential. I adjusted the gamma and then worked the light to make it more spherical, more 3D. Hope you don't mind, Vinsanitizer.
Not at all, bro. I'm always learning. That's pretty cool. :yesway:

Latest posts