The Recording Thread

• Thread starter blues_n_cues
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm wondering what else is out there without going overboard.

good luck w/ that....:lol::wave::lol:
it's an addiction,,a very spendy addiction.

right off the top of my head-
good monitors
good phones
acoustic room treatment
clean power w/ voltage regulation

Frodebro

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So, I have been using an AKG Perception 120 condensor mic and a Tascam DR-40 for simple recordings. What would you say is the go to setup for mic, mixing, converting to mp3's on a budget. What I'm doing seems to work well but I'm wondering what else is out there without going overboard.

good luck w/ that....:lol::wave::lol:
it's an addiction,,a very spendy addiction.

right off the top of my head-
good monitors
good phones
acoustic room treatment
clean power w/ voltage regulation

Indeed, the moment you asked yourself "What else is out there?" it was already too late. Your options now are to either walk away from it all and take up needlepoint, or accept your fate and plunge headfirst into the rabbit hole.

Codeman

Reaction score
Indeed, the moment you asked yourself "What else is out there?" it was already too late. Your options now are to either walk away from it all and take up needlepoint, or accept your fate and plunge headfirst into the rabbit hole.

Well, my saving grace is that I'm a college student with a shoe-string budget. There are many benefits in researching when you have no money.

Speaking of which I've heard there are free DAW's, but the real question is whether they are any good or not. Thoughts?

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, my saving grace is that I'm a college student with a shoe-string budget. There are many benefits in researching when you have no money.

Speaking of which I've heard there are free DAW's, but the real question is whether they are any good or not. Thoughts?

Reaper is the best "free" DAW although it's not really free if you have scruples.lol
I've been using Mixcraft for years & it's the best bang for the buck and about the cheapest & easiest out there.

if you're a poor college student w/ little room I'd say get good phones & a midi keyboard controller so you can do vst's (drums,strings,keyboards,etc.etc.)

I have this one & it works well even though it doesn't have semi-weighted keys-
http://alesis.com/products/legacy/q49

others.
(you may not need 49 keys but that's about the minimum for doing piano parts w/ 2 hands.)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/midi...profileCountryCode=US&profileCurrencyCode=USD

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
reaper is 60 bucks. top notch program.

minerman

Reaction score
Hey guys, just dropping by to say howdy...

Reaper is a very good daw IMHO, & does about anything you'd want. I've read about other daw's having better midi tools/workflow, but honestly, for what I do (drum vsti's mostly), it's more than adequate....YMMV....

The reason I'm posting here though is IK Multimedia has released Amplitube 4, & IMHO is a big step up from version 3. There are 5 new "Brit" amp models, along with some new cabs that IMHO, sound pretty realistic (with some work/tweaking of course)...The new cabs are a step up IMO because there are 29 different speaker choices (lots of Celestions, along with some Jensen & others) that actually sound pretty close to what they're modeling (again, IMO, YMMV)...

Of course, this won't replace my amp, cab & mic setup, but for silent recording/playing, it's a step up from AT3, again IMO...

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/amplitube4/

Here are some pics/screenshots I made:

JMP-1 preamp:

JCM800:

JCM900:

Silver Jubilee:

Marshall Major:

Speaker selection:

FX Loop:

Another big improvement is the insert/fx loop between the amp & cab. It's more like having a loop than the other version, because it doesn't do weird things to the stereo field (IE: it doesn't spread the sound out un-naturally, it behaves more like a real amp would with effects in the loop)...Plus you're able to insert any effect in the loop, like an eq, & it behaves like it should (IE: using an eq in the loop for shaping the sound)...

Sorry for the long-ass post, but just wanted to throw this out here, as I've been under the weather for a while, & haven't been around very much...

And again, this isn't gonna replace my real amp, cab, & mics, but it is a good sounding emulation, & a super way to play/record silently if noise is an issue (like late at night)...

minerman

Reaction score

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
adding a second hard drive for recording the easy way-
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9w3MNl-Ejk[/ame]

setting it up for DAW work-

http://www.homestudiocorner.com/12-home-studio-necessities-7-externaldedicated-hard-drive/

(the short version)

One final thing. You may be wondering how exactly you use the external drive with your DAW. Basically, all you do is save your session to the external drive. When you first create a session for a song, it will give you an option to choose a hard drive where you want that session and all its corresponding audio to reside. You don’t need to install your DAW or your operating system on your external drives. They simply hold your audio.

Install software on the system drive. Save your audio sessions to your external (or second internal) drive.

with Pro Tools
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEf0_WI1IhU

Logic-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkAKLkd190A

disclaimer- there's quite a few ways to go about it & it could be a whole sub-section unto itself.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah it sucks it's only x64, but, maybe it's time to upgrade to a x64 system...The pc I use is x64, & I bought it about 5 1/2 years ago just so I could go 64-bit...But only recently have I switched over to x64, mainly so I could use more RAM (drum vsti's)....:lol:

I'm debating going up to x64 I just need to find a 775 socket MOBO that works in this tower case and I found a PAE "hack" patch that allows you to use up to 64gb RAM on a 32 bit Windows system.:naughty:

I'll post more about that later.

mott555

Reaction score
I just picked up a couple Tascam TM-80 condensor mics. They're cheap but sound pretty decent to me. Very sensitive, works well for voice-over work and also acoustic guitar. They actually don't sound too bad for miking a guitar cabinet though they don't beat my SM-57's. If I could actually pump some volume I think they'd be good ambient/room mics for a guitar amp, but I can't try that without risking police intervention at my apartment.

I don't know what changed in me but the SM-57's now sound absolutely perfect. It might be because I'm finally not running all knobs at 12 on my 2204. That sounds great in the room but was always harsh when miked up. Now it's all fairly flat, with the trebles cranked up a bit, and the presence is out-of-circuit since I have my PPIMV dialed in to make the master volume less sensitive.

Coronado

Reaction score
Blues created this one year ago tomorrow, and it has been one of the most helpful threads to me for learning new techniques and better ways of recording. Thanks to all you guys who have shared so much great and helpful info! :wave:

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
Blues created this one year ago tomorrow, and it has been one of the most helpful threads to me for learning new techniques and better ways of recording. Thanks to all you guys who have shared so much great and helpful info! :wave:

:yesway::yesway:

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score