The Recording Thread

• Thread starter blues_n_cues
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Coronado

Reaction score
cool thread, just found it, as I have been building a cheap and simple home recording setup for a drummer and myself.
Curious if anyone else has done something similar with iPad/iPhone type setup.

So here is what I have:
1. Behringer XENYX USB mixer, which allows me to USB out of mixer into iPad, the key to this is finding an iPad/phone Camera Kit Adapter, which allows this USB to lighting connection.
2. Free iPad multi-track software MTSR recorder pro.
3. Small inexpensive monitors for playback.
4. Normally when recording guitar I dual track the guitar, one track DI box panned left the other track cab mic-ed panned right, sounds huge. If I need late night silent recording I just run my amp into a dummy load and use a DI box for the whole signal.

The USB mixer to iPad with MTSR has handled everything I have thrown at it so far, recording multiple tracks at once etc, never locks up or slows down, sound quality is there.

This is my favorite thread - I was pumped when Blues created it a while back. I don't gig, but I love recording and set up somewhat of a work in progress studio in my house. This thread has been such an excellent way to learn new recording tricks and techniques, as well as recommendations on gear. :thumbs:

Frodebro

Reaction score
there's another angle- a limit on resource usage is kinda like setting a timer on a mixing session,it forces you to do something & move on.

I don't have any problems with system resources, but it's gotten to the point that stability is becoming an issue. About one out of four startups the computer doesn't see the interface, and I have to reboot everything a few times to get everything functioning together.

4Horseman

Reaction score
I don't have any problems with system resources, but it's gotten to the point that stability is becoming an issue. About one out of four startups the computer doesn't see the interface, and I have to reboot everything a few times to get everything functioning together.
That happens to me too, very frustrating. It seems like there's a short window of time after start up when I can plug in and power up my interface. I've wondered if this common or not.

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
I think when the computer does not see the port there is some other thing plugged in or application service that is attempting to use the same resource/port, it could be hard to figure our what though. Maybe try booting the computer when nothing else is plugged in, no other USB ports etc.
Or another app on the system is installed that is creating a port conflict etc. That could be tough to track down but worth the effort probably.

Frodebro

Reaction score
I think when the computer does not see the port there is some other thing plugged in or application service that is attempting to use the same resource/port, it could be hard to figure our what though. Maybe try booting the computer when nothing else is plugged in, no other USB ports etc.
Or another app on the system is installed that is creating a port conflict etc. That could be tough to track down but worth the effort probably.

The computer I'm having issues with is a dedicated recording-only computer, it's not used for anything else and nothing is ever changed. It worked flawlessly for a long time, and only recently has it started acting up (after four OS upgrades, but there hasn't been any upgrades in quite a while).

minerman

Reaction score
The computer I'm having issues with is a dedicated recording-only computer, it's not used for anything else and nothing is ever changed. It worked flawlessly for a long time, and only recently has it started acting up (after four OS upgrades, but there hasn't been any upgrades in quite a while).

My recording pc is over 6 years old now, & still goin'....I've still got over half the 1tb audio drive's space free, even after 6 years of use...But, I'm thinking my power supply is going out, because if/when I turn the pc off, sometimes it doesn't wanna re-boot, so I never turn it off...

I have automatic updates turned completely off, I can't remember how long it's been since this thing updated, no anti-virus running, nothing like that. I don't use it for internet very often, once in a while maybe. It wasn't a powerhouse machine when I got it (AMD quad core 8GB RAM, 2 - 1TB hdd's, bought an extra & installed it myself), but it's proven to be a good one. I wanted an i7, but settled for the AMD, because the price was much lower, & there are ways to free up system resources in the daw by freezing/rendering/bouncing tracks down that have CPU intense plug-ins on 'em...
Eventually, I wanna upgrade & buy a new one, but, I don't want Windows 8 or 10, at all from what I've read. I may have a hard time finding what I want, dunno, cross that bridge when this one shits the bed, & won't work at all.....

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score

Coronado

Reaction score
That's a great point Blues - if I don't stay on top of my computer, the performance definitely begins to decline. A little while back I picked up a 4 TB external to keep my projects stored. This helps keep free up my laptop, and if it ever dies, I will have it saved. I use a dedicated laptop for my recordings, and avoid connecting to the internet as much as possible to try and keep the unwanted stuff from attaching to it. I also go into my task manager and suspend a handful of programs that take up too much CPU. This has significantly helped, especially on those songs that are considerably large (tons of tracks and effects).

Coronado

Reaction score
I have been using EZDrummer for a while now. To try and keep things somewhat new and to try and increase my options, I bought the additional packs. After a while, even that starts to get a bit old and you start seeing the same types of patterns. So I try to adjust the timing to mix things up a bit, and mix different parts. I would like to try another drum tool, perhaps Superior Drummer or Addictive Drums?

minerman

Reaction score
when was the last time y'all cleaned your computers?
I only plug my interface in when I'm using it-it doesn't stay plugged in all the time.

do you guys have usb hubs?
it could also be time for a new processor or @ least new thermo paste for the one you have if it's been that long.
try this-
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

I actually took my pc apart about a month or so ago, & blew the dustbunnies that would come out, & hand cleaned the rest. I was a mess in there to say the least, & that seemed to help a little...I usually re-load my OS about once every 6 months or so, but haven't done that in over a year because of the health issues I've been having. It's pretty much like new when I do this, as it wipes everything off & starts over. The only thing about doing this is it takes a couple days to re-install all the software I have, in particular, the drum software, as I have an unreal amount of Toontrack, Addictive Drums, Steven Slate, etc...I may tear into that one day this week & report back, but I already know it'll help, again, it wipes everything clean, then starts fresh...

But, this pc is over 6 years old now, & I wanted an i7 when I got it, but I settled for an AMD processor, which IMO is great for the $$$, but I really wanna get an Intel i7 based pc before too long...

I have been using EZDrummer for a while now. To try and keep things somewhat new and to try and increase my options, I bought the additional packs. After a while, even that starts to get a bit old and you start seeing the same types of patterns. So I try to adjust the timing to mix things up a bit, and mix different parts. I would like to try another drum tool, perhaps Superior Drummer or Addictive Drums?

Superior Drummer if you've already got EZD2. AD2 is great too, but you'll save a little $$$ by upgrading to SD. Either SD or AD2 sound really good, & there's the option of multi-outputs in your daw, so you can use eq, compression, & different reverbs (which is what I do)...

You can usually find an upgrade to SD where EZD2 is sold, & again, that'll save a little $$$...

For the "performance" thing you mentioned, I use Jamstix 3 (version 4 is about to be released) for most of this. You can control everything a real drummer would do with this program. While it is complicated, their user forum is great, lots of help when you get stuck...Something else I have is a small e-kit, & while I'm not a drummer, playing the kit actually taught me a lot about how someone would really play the songs I'm trying to do, just sayin'...

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
Something else I have is a small e-kit, & while I'm not a drummer, playing the kit actually taught me a lot about how someone would really play the songs I'm trying to do, just sayin'...

same here. nothing sticks out worse than a 3 armed drummer.lol

Frodebro

Reaction score
when was the last time y'all cleaned your computers?
I only plug my interface in when I'm using it-it doesn't stay plugged in all the time.

do you guys have usb hubs?
it could also be time for a new processor or @ least new thermo paste for the one you have if it's been that long.
try this-
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

My interface (FW800) is plugged in all the time, but the only time I fire up that computer is when I'm working with the DAW. I can try cleaning all the connections, but at this point I already have decided to upgrade everything in a few months. Then that computer will be delegated to other things.

Coronado

Reaction score
Great points on the drums - thanks! Minerman, I appreciate the info on SD, think I will give that option a try. I will also take a look at Jamstix. I would love the ability to try and bring some real life into my drum parts.

3 armed drummer! HA! That's so true though... While I appreciate how much talent goes into making these drum tracks, they are just too perfect, and it seems to take away from the song.

I have been looking at some different E drum sets. Quite a big price difference between say like the Behringer XD8 ($329 at Sweetwater) and then the Roland TD-30KV which stomps in at close to $8k. Are there some E kits that you would recommend?

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an older Yamaha DTXpress (has midi but not usb) which I did some trading for so I basically got it for $100 & added an extra pad so it's now a 6 piece.

you can find used kits for pretty cheap,especially a couple months after x-mas. since you'll be using VST drums & the e-kit as just triggers the "brain" doesn't have to have all the bells & whistles or awesome tones (even though mine has a few).

if you want to build a kit try this guy. he's good to deal with for individual pieces-
http://stores.ebay.com/DrumzRUs-Store

my kit-
bunnyampelectdrums008.jpg

eliamphorsespickpix005.jpg

or go hybrid-

edrumsamprealcymbals017.jpg

edit-I will upgrade someday so I can add a double kick pedal and add another brain so I can double the kit or add more cymbals.

minerman

Reaction score
I bought a Yamaha DTX-400 about 15 months ago: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DTX400K

While the hi-hat only has 2 sounds when hit with the stick, you can go into the midi editor & change 'em after you've recorded your playing. My kit's brain uses usb btw...I can upgrade my hh controller so it will have like 3 sounds/midi notes (closed, half-open, open), but it doesn't make any sense for me to do that, as I'm gonna edit the midi performance in my daw anyway...And if I were to upgrade anything, I'd just buy another upgraded drum brain so I could have all the articulations...YMMV

If you're a competent drummer that can play, I'd recommend the kit that's a couple steps above, the DXT500 series. It has lots more features, but, it also costs more too, but that's only if you're a drummer. For someone like me, it didn't make any sense to spend a lot on this, because I didn't know if I'd stick with it or not...

Riff

Reaction score
You mean no one uses an Alesis SR 16 drum machine like I still do?

Well, ain't y'all all fancy and stuff.