The Recording Thread

• Thread starter blues_n_cues
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
-I thought it was all about your $5000 tube mic pre?
nah.. you can build one for less than $100,buy one for $300, or go.. a.. Neve......for $1500 & still plug that $99.00 Shure 57 into it.........what's the point?
no matter the $$$ you gotta know the limits,what you want, & what you need to achieve.. it's like guitars & pickups.....what are you going for. go check out 500 modules.. you CAN do more for less.....the modern Studio owner knows this & can budget accordingly...not to mention a cheaper electric bill & space.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 40614 Using Cakewalk Sonar Professional. Roland JunoGi as midi. Macke 8' monitors. And for secondary check when mixing, inexpensive Samson monitors.
View attachment 40615 Just started using ART mic pre amp. Used it on melody and solos for 'Beware the Boogeyman'. Taking advice from John Cuniberti, I have set the mic setting to Vocal for melody recordings. I use no pedals with the amp except for DecimatorII in front. All FX I add in Sonar.(Dry going into record)
View attachment 40616 My JVM205H is used for all guitars. The cab 1960B(not shown) is in the garage in a sealed ISO box where there is always a SM57 slightly angled close to cone. Cable which runs up and over is for cab in ISO
View attachment 40617 I know this looks primitive, but since I cannot put two mics in ISO box without cross phasing, when recording with two mics I am simply moving CRATE cab into garage where I have the room to move mics around. Sound difference is huge. I am trying to come up with a better way. I have a out building about 120' from house where I am considering putting the cabinets and than buying a Banana cable that can handle all inputs and outputs I need.
View attachment 40619
View attachment 40620
View attachment 40621

nice room but WOULD help immensley would be to pull the desk & speakers back away about 3-5' from the wall. I can't do it in mine either so I have to have "soakers" & reflection buffers.-
https://www.google.com/search?sourc...cue&gs_l=hp....0.0.0.84567...........0.#spf=1

AAHIHaveNoIdeaWhatImDoing

Reaction score
any of you guys have thoughts on the guitar amp/sim software/plugins? I know that may be sacrilege but despite my best efforts trying to record my amp doesnt sound much or really any better than the sims. Even Logic's built in stuff sounds pretty good, but anyone here like Guitar rig, amplitube, etc. ?

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
any of you guys have thoughts on the guitar amp/sim software/plugins? I know that may be sacrilege but despite my best efforts trying to record my amp doesnt sound much or really any better than the sims. Even Logic's built in stuff sounds pretty good, but anyone here like Guitar rig, amplitube, etc. ?
I do a lot of sims & even real amp/Marshall JMP-1 Preampto sim,& plug-in combos/hybrids.
a lot of what you hear on my SC/RN sites are the Marshall JMP-1 Midi Pre direct to an Ignite pwr amp sim & various Plug-ins.I use a lot of different things depending on what I want to do & even use them live.

Reaction score
Fancy! I don't think I know how to do a quarter of what you're talking about. All I have is my DSL40c. . .don't think it has a line out or anything. Curious if anyone has any love for one sim plugin over another.

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Fancy! I don't think I know how to do a quarter of what you're talking about. All I have is my DSL40c. . .don't think it has a line out or anything. Curious if anyone has any love for one sim plugin over another.

I have a UAD PCIE card in my PC which allows me to have their awesome simulations that were modeled by Brainworx. I have the Friedman BE100 plugin and the ENGL E765 RT plugin as well which both sound so real it is truly astonishing. No other sims that I am aware of sound this good and I have tried my share IE. S-Gear, Amplitube, Bias and others.

Reaction score
Hmmm. I'm on a Mac so whatever that card is I don't think I can use/get it. Literally an internal card a something that plugs in via USB. . . like a dongle?

bulldozer1984

VIP Member
Reaction score
There are 3 options with UAD (Universal Audio). Buy one of their interfaces, PCIE cards or firewire/thunderbolt satellites (like a big dongle)

But honestly unless you are after the faithful emulations they provide, its alot of money to get into and not all that versatile unless you spend alot of money buying all the individual plugins.

They are known for their emulations of not just amps but notorious pieces of outboard recording gear like UREI 1176, Teletronix LA2A and Fairchild compressors etc, plus EQ's and preamps etc the list goes on.

I bought a second solo card (only 1 DSP chip) just for the emulations of the amps I wanted and I waited until they were on sale. I also have the AMPEG bass amp emu.

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a UAD PCIE card in my PC which allows me to have their awesome simulations that were modeled by Brainworx. I have the Friedman BE100 plugin and the ENGL E765 RT plugin as well which both sound so real it is truly astonishing. No other sims that I am aware of sound this good and I have tried my share IE. S-Gear, Amplitube, Bias and others.

Yep Brainworx are really good plugins. Having the Kemper and using Friedman profiles with it, I like the Kemper sound much more, because the UAD Friedman is very noisy (the Kemper doesnt have any amp noise). I tried the Freidman demo with the intention of buying it, but never did.

Last edited:

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
ILOUD monitors. I am looking at getting a pair. They have Bluetooth and all you need for a second pair of reference monitors.

Are any of you using them yet?

bulldozer1984

VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep Brainworx are really good plugins. Having the Kemper and using Friedman profiles with it, I like the Kemper sound much more, because the UAD Friedman is very noisy (the Kemper doesnt have any amp noise). I tried the Freidman demo with the intention of buying it, but never did.

I agree about the noise. It just seems dumb to me that the one thing they are able to change with a model is the noise floor of the amp yet they keep it in with no way to turn it off ! There should be a switch instead of the useless gate they put in the FX section.

I would love to get a Kemper. Do you use it live too Aus ?

SG~GUY

Reaction score
-so my cousin who lives in the basement couldn't get my LAMBDA to work, apparently its out dated and no longer has any support or upgrades, I'm sick of this computer sh*t, its out dated and obsolete as soon as you buy it, I'm definitely not a computer guy, I'm gonna go to a ZOOM H4NPRO I think, its simple and has buttons and nobs

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree about the noise. It just seems dumb to me that the one thing they are able to change with a model is the noise floor of the amp yet they keep it in with no way to turn it off ! There should be a switch instead of the useless gate they put in the FX section.

I would love to get a Kemper. Do you use it live too Aus ?

I like using an amp live. I love the sound of a half stack behind me. I have used the Kemper live a few times.

And the UAD Friedman well, I can understand authenticity(white noise and all) but the guitarist and listener has always wanted less noise, so they missed the boat on that one.

Ghostman

Reaction score
-so my cousin who lives in the basement couldn't get my LAMBDA to work, apparently its out dated and no longer has any support or upgrades, I'm sick of this computer sh*t, its out dated and obsolete as soon as you buy it, I'm definitely not a computer guy, I'm gonna go to a ZOOM H4NPRO I think, its simple and has buttons and nobs
Are you talking about the Lexicon Lamba? It's still in full production, and full support. :scratch:

SG~GUY

Reaction score
They have drivers to run on any of the Windows platforms.

-hmmmmmm... Well I will "e-mail" them again, since ya can't talk to a real live native English speaking person, see what they say, I know the last time I "talked" to them I had to get a windows XP OS disc, put it on top of my windows 7 -(this was per them)- so I'll ship everything thing to you and you can get it working right..