The Recording Thread

• Thread starter blues_n_cues
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Marshallmaniac

Reaction score
Just ordered a Boss BR900CD with part thanks/inspiration to this thread.

Basically looking at doing something different music wise instead of just jumping into another band. I have some atmospheric stuff to try so looking forward to it!!

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
so anyway..........loads of Marshall tones out of a 25 year old Preamp

then there was more out of the same rig.........Iron Maiden 1991 until now.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
My god, there are to many pages. This a website alone !
Mixcraft 7 home . What is the big difference from the pro version.
Or major differences ?

Last edited:

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Ok , let me back up. I have a Roland 2 input Iinterface , Sonar le 1 (free)
Set up worked fine but now for some reason playback seems to skip very slightly. I don't know what is causing it . the laptop or software.

Last edited:

Frodebro

Reaction score
Set up worked fine but now for some reason playback seems to skip very slightly. I don't know what is causing it . the laptop or software.

My first guess would be the laptop. If you're recording your tracks to the same hard drive that is also running your operating system and DAW software, things can bog down rather quickly.

johnfv

Reaction score
Is it a USB interface? Do you have anything else USB connected?

johnfv

Reaction score
...If you're recording your tracks to the same hard drive that is also running your operating system and DAW software, things can bog down rather quickly.
Good point. My laptop fortunately had 2 drive bays so I put added SSD for the OS and have a dedicated data drive. Works very well, I have recorded 14 tracks at the same time no issues.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Ok , I bet thats it. Maybe I can clean out some older stuff. It was working fine for months now it's messing up on playback.
Is it possible to maybe take the recording and load it on a usb drive and play it elsewhere or would the recording be jacked up. I only have one usb plugged in. It is dedicated for recording only. It has amassed quite a lot of sheite over the last year.

Frodebro

Reaction score
Good point. My laptop fortunately had 2 drive bays so I put added SSD for the OS and have a dedicated data drive. Works very well, I have recorded 14 tracks at the same time no issues.

That's the way to go. I'm running a 2015 MacBook Pro with the OS and Logic Pro on its internal SSD, my plug-in library is on an external high speed Thunderbolt drive, and everything is recorded to another high speed external drive. Interface is a Thunderbolt UA Apollo Twin Duo. I have some things with over fifty tracks (many of them software instruments),lots of additional plug-ins (compression, EQ, reverb, etc), and the processor rarely goes above 30% usage.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
so anyway..........loads of Marshall tones out of a 25 year old Preamp

then there was more out of the same rig.........Iron Maiden 1991 until now.
You suck man , I am so far from doing the kinds of recordings/engineering besides playing ability but I guess it is inspiring to now what can be done if you work hard at it. I guess talent is important. Lol
You rock as always Bnc:band::band:

Coronado

Reaction score
Hello recording chums! So, I've been dabbling with several different mixing/mastering type software packages (VSTs), and some have been pretty good. But they are not cheap by any means. Slate came out with their bundle approach, where for 15 bucks a month, you get all of their tools. Its a contract deal for a year, so you can either pay the 15 a month or like $180 for the year. Either way, just having access to some of their compressors, EQs, and reel-to-reel stuff would be pretty cool. Anyone looked into this yet? For $180 bucks (basically the price of an effects pedal) you get some pretty awesome tools. Most likely going to sign up, but wanted to see if anyone had heard of this, perhaps even used some of Slate's tools? Thanks!

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I want stuff that I can own, not rent/lease...

That said, I've got some guitar stuff for free, that doesn't seem to work. They keep offering me more stuff & it doesn't seem to work either. All for various reasons. It's Positive Grid stuff, that, I have a lot of friends that use it & rave it up.

I had something else, a while back, that I bought, & had to get a refund, because it ruined my iLok dongle. It kept saying that my old dongle version was newer than it, but when it changed it, it killed my other plug-ins. So, I had to restore the old iLok & the new program was unusable. Then I've had newer ones, that they offer me for free & I need a separate dongle, but they want me to purchase it.

This new software stuff, is just ridiculous. You have to rent/lease. You have to buy a dongle disc to try out software for free.

What ever happened to just offering a product & buying it? & if you don't like it, sell it to someone else...

Rant over...

Sorry, I haven't heard of them. Do I have to buy an iLok dongle to try them out? :)...

Coronado

Reaction score
I want stuff that I can own, not rent/lease...

That said, I've got some guitar stuff for free, that doesn't seem to work. They keep offering me more stuff & it doesn't seem to work either. All for various reasons. It's Positive Grid stuff, that, I have a lot of friends that use it & rave it up.

I had something else, a while back, that I bought, & had to get a refund, because it ruined my iLok dongle. It kept saying that my old dongle version was newer than it, but when it changed it, it killed my other plug-ins. So, I had to restore the old iLok & the new program was unusable. Then I've had newer ones, that they offer me for free & I need a separate dongle, but they want me to purchase it.

This new software stuff, is just ridiculous. You have to rent/lease. You have to buy a dongle disc to try out software for free.

What ever happened to just offering a product & buying it? & if you don't like it, sell it to someone else...

Rant over...

Sorry, I haven't heard of them. Do I have to buy an iLok dongle to try them out? :)...

HA! Yes, the dongle! I was like, whaaaat? A dongle? Don't you just download it? That was exactly my concern - how do you download the software and at the end of they year, stop using their stuff? Does it just expire? I don't quite understand how it works yet. When I went to their site, you click on their link to learn about their $15 all access. The first thing, the VERY first thing it says is - you need the ILOCK DONGLE. Click here for the ilock. But I just want to learn more about how it works? :noplease:

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
it used to be, you downloaded an iLok manager. Now, they want you to order a thumb drive that's exclusive, for a 2nd level authentication. So, a few of the offers for "free" perks to my hardware aren't really free, if I have to buy the dongle thumbdrive for $25...

The way other programs work, are that, if it's a subscription, you log into the subscription every time you turn the plug-in on. Then, it checks for the auth# & if there are any updates/upgrades. If you miss a payment, the software no longer works...

Ghostman

Reaction score
The move to these cloud services, while the intention is great, and so is the flexibility, but it's like a crack dealer. Once you sign up for the service, you're hooked. Even if you stop paying, you realize you just lost all your work over the past how ever many months, because you no longer have access to the software. So, there's a feeling of dread to cancel your subscription.

I'd rather pay $1000 up front, than $15 a month.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello recording chums! So, I've been dabbling with several different mixing/mastering type software packages (VSTs), and some have been pretty good. But they are not cheap by any means. Slate came out with their bundle approach, where for 15 bucks a month, you get all of their tools. Its a contract deal for a year, so you can either pay the 15 a month or like $180 for the year. Either way, just having access to some of their compressors, EQs, and reel-to-reel stuff would be pretty cool. Anyone looked into this yet? For $180 bucks (basically the price of an effects pedal) you get some pretty awesome tools. Most likely going to sign up, but wanted to see if anyone had heard of this, perhaps even used some of Slate's tools? Thanks!

I know this is a big thread (38 pages) but if you look through it & do some research you can find some great stuff for free or cheap.
Slate is great but is neither cheap or free.
if you want comps,eq,& R-T-R I can help you out easier. or.. you could just go buy Mixcraft Pro Studio & get a LOT of great stuff included w/ an easy DAW & LOADS of great virtual insts & amps.
(no,I'm not pushing a product but it is good) I have about 200 total freebies that are good too. it just takes time,effort,& loads of patience to find them.

Coronado

Reaction score
So recording volumes... how loud do you need to have the volume? I was recording my Mesa RA100 (mic'd to a 1960a with V30's). I pulled the mic back just a tad, found the right spot near the cone, and then pushed the volume to the get the tubes glowing, and recorded my track. Earlier, I had recorded the same track as I wanted to just capture a good version of the song end-to-end, and I did it at fairly lower volumes (just to capture the track, then delete it later after I recorded my final tracks). I noticed that there wasn't a big difference between the tracks with one recorded about 9 o'clock vs. the one where I cranked the amp to get the tubes glowing and the speakers moving. With master volume amps, and with the mic right up to the speakers, is there really a benefit of recording at louder volumes? I know with my Marshall 74' 1987 and my JCM800, I get the benefit of pushing the volume, but is there really any benefit of recording a loud master volume amp?

AAHIHaveNoIdeaWhatImDoing

Reaction score
if you cant HEAR it sounding better than it seems like it doesnt matter. my dsl40c didnt seem to sound much if any better super cranked when i recorded that way vs much lower volume.

Latest posts