The solid state Marshall

• Thread starter louis30092
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I`m not familiar w/ the Lead 12 amp except that it`s popular. How does it differ from the 5010? [btw I love mine--pretty close in tones to my other 2 amps as I use a pedal to get them 'ramped up'/'hot-rodded' a little at the, unfortuanelty, home & late night volumes. However for me the 5010 doesn`t need a pedal as it`s 'ramped up' on its own even at lower volumes--just my opinion of course.]
I goose the front end of the 5010 a bit with a clean boost. Tightens it up some by allowing me to turn the pre volume down a bit. Gets into that 80's hair metal territory.

The 5010 is laid out Like a 6 knob master volume amp, has the pre volume, Master, and presence controls, and really gives the same vibe as the old 2203/04 amps.

The lead 12, can sound ok, but doesn't get quite to the 80s tone, and gets a bit splatty trying. Gained down it does the bluesy plexish ok for what it is.

My point was that Marshall should have stuck the 5010 into the Mini stacks. That would have been a cool little rig. The lead 30 is an amplifier. The lead 12 head more of a novelty ad opposed to a usable amplifier..although guys like Alvin get good tones out of them.

I have 2 lead 12 stacks, and I really just keep em cause they look too damn cool, but for my genre of playing they fall way short tone wise. I can get them sounding ok, but they just have a quacky tone that gets to me after a while.

I have the lead 12's a 5210, and the 5010 and out of them 3 amps from that series imo the 5010 has the best tone. Ymmv.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
5010 noodles
The guitar & the amp were pawnshop purchases (though not at the same time)
Ive done so many gigs with the 5010's .....the people were none the wiser

Great sounding Amp. It brings it no doubt.

I got mine thinking that with the controls being laid out like a mv 2204 that I would eventually gut it and build a 2204 in it, but I sounds so good I just can't do it!