• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Tubes?

• Thread starter 61002203
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also is that rig behind in your picture yours? If so that is a pretty savage collection
Yes that's part of my studio wall. I have a fairly large collection of amplifiers and cabinets. A lot of rare cabinets.
I hate using the term "collection" though. People collect stamps, people collect baseball cards... They keep them behind a glass case and don't ever touch them. I use everything, I'm a user, not a collector!

Reaction score
Yes that's part of my studio wall. I have a fairly large collection of amplifiers and cabinets. A lot of rare cabinets.
I hate using the term "collection" though. People collect stamps, people collect baseball cards... They keep them behind a glass case and don't ever touch them. I use everything, I'm a user, not a collector!
That's cool. Ya why have them if you use em. What's every day rig?

Pete Farrington

Reaction score
My understanding is that Russian made 12AX7 can have a high failure rate in the typical DCCF circuit, eg V2 of a 1959 SL.
It may be worth noting that the 6100 has 4 valves (V3,4,5,6) used in DCCFs.

anitoli

Reaction score
My understanding is that Russian made 12AX7 can have a high failure rate in the typical DCCF circuit, eg V2 of a 1959 SL.
It may be worth noting that the 6100 has 4 valves (V3,4,5,6) used in DCCFs.
This may be accurate with specific lot numbers of tubes but since the Sino tubes started sucking ass when they started using the red labels i have used EHX 12AX7's in most of my 6100's and other amps. These are all new production i just bought them when i needed them and have had no failures whatsoever.
YMMV. As it is right now i wouldn't think twice about using Russian tubes in any cathode follower circuit.

Karl Brake

Reaction score
My favorite is anything Chinese, but any tube brand is good, just not JJ.
That's just silly. I've found JJs more reliable and sound as good as anything else in production. My Marshall factory tech, with 50 years of experience starting in LA studios in the 70s stands by JJs as the best made tube currently. I've had bad luck with Tung Sols both pre and power.

Karl Brake

Reaction score
Went digital few years ago. Haven't tuned into the tube game in a minute.

Who's making good tubes right now? Still mostly Russia and China? El34s? What's this psvane? Jjs not good? Obviously I see prices went up it looks like.
Only three companies in three countries make all the tube brands. The different factories in Russia and China are owned by the same national company. JJ is the only thing made in a democratic republic, with the least rebranding. One American company is making HiFi tubes only.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
That's just silly. I've found JJs more reliable and sound as good as anything else in production. My Marshall factory tech, with 50 years of experience starting in LA studios in the 70s stands by JJs as the best made tube currently. I've had bad luck with Tung Sols both pre and power.
I'm voicing my opinion, its not gospel. To each their own...

Karl Brake

Reaction score
Just my experience with different lots of Tung Sols failing early...like pres used a few hours getting noisy in studio amps. Power tubes wearing out way early. Had one set of JJs red plate many years ago, and I had a lot of hours on them. They just are really reliable, and unless you can get ultra pure mica from tubes made for the military 60 years ago, they're all gonna sound similar.

Thoma

Reaction score
In a 6100, the tubes are not going to contribute much, if anything, to the tone.
I've owned eight 6100 style amps and have tested with tubes intensively.
Currently I own a 6101LE, two 6100LE, a 6100LM.

In my 6100s tubes make a significant difference.

My recent experience with JJ made are:
Never again.

If someone feels mindboggled by 6100 amps and still provides advice, perhaps better look for someone who has succeeded wrapping his head around these amps.🤣

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've owned eight 6100 style amps and have tested with tubes intensively.
Currently I own a 6101LE, two 6100LE, a 6100LM.

In my 6100s tubes make a significant difference.

My recent experience with JJ made are:
Never again.

If someone feels mindboggled by 6100 amps and still provides advice, perhaps better look for someone who has succeeded wrapping his head around these amps.🤣
Not mind boggled by the amps, just commented on the complexity of the circuit vs. classis NMV amps, and the degree to which tubes affect tone.
But I'm glad that a few words from my differing opinion taken out of context was able to make you feel superior in some way.

Other than an unsubstantiated blanket hatred of JJ, do you have any other brilliant advice for the OP?
He specifically asked for thoughts on a TAD packaged set and no one has yet to answer that inquiry.
Any examples, in your expert opinion, of your significant differences in the tubes you've tried?
Do you favor a specific brand, or can you share your results from trying different gain factor tubes, and in what positions?

Pete Farrington

Reaction score
TAD has a hand picked set for the 6100. Any thoughts on TAD?

Russian tubes. Same as Tung Sol and God knows what else.
My understanding is that TAD buy, test, grade and rebrand valves from any / all available sources, reputably even commission ’special tube request’ STR improved / uprated versions of standard lines. eg the redbase series is a Chinese made STR https://www.tubeampdoctor.com/en/tad-products/tad-redbase/

The current TAD 6100 set seems to include valves made in China. Slovakia and Russia. https://www.tubeampdoctor.com/en/tubeset-for-marshall-6100/6101-with-el34?number=TS-M-6100.6101-EL34

TAD offer a good testing process and warranty, so you can’t go too far wrong.

Last edited:

jmerwin62

Reaction score
I've steadily replaced all of my tubes with Tung-sols. On occasion, I try a different one, but I always go back.

Thoma

Reaction score
unsubstantiated blanket hatred of JJ
unsubstantiated...
How do you know? After a quad failing shortly, warranty exchange with another batch failing shortly thereafter again, I will avoid JJs for the foreseeable future. Just me. Ymmv. Don't take my word for it. And if you are happy with JJs, good for you.
Any examples, in your expert opinion, of your significant differences in the tubes you've tried?
Do you favor a specific brand, or can you share your results from trying different gain factor tubes, and in what positions?
Yes, but as I tested older NOS AEG, ITT, Telefunken, Sovtek, military NAD Philips plus a couple of old Marshall branded up to decades old, my findings are pretty much of use for me only.
I don't consider myself an expert by any means. But at least in my 6100 series amps, tubes contribute to the tone significantly enough for me. For example I the sought after and quite expensive NAD Philips contributed a very nice high-end distortion, I liked very much.
A friend of mine didn't like it.

In some cases different preamp tube combinations changed the gain pot ranges to a degree that I did not like the result at all.

In my experience and to my ears tubes matter in my 6100s.
If in your experience and to your ears tubes don't matter in your 6100...
Great. One thing less to worry about for you.

And still 🤣
Laughing WITH you.
Not ABOUT you.

Live is too short for a long face.

Mike_LA

Reaction score
More 6100/6101 info
Marshall Roadhouse
6100/6101 Tips
Tips thread

surfnorthwest wrote in the old tip thread:
Actually my friend Curt Granger helped me come up with this, he owns Granger amps.
The RFTs give a wonderful articulate gain while the 7025s are lower gain and lower noise.

<><><><><><><><><><><><>
Surf"s Fav Tube Set
<><><><><><><><><><><><>
V1- Prefered Series 7025 (low noise)
V2- Tung-Sol
V3- RFT High Gain
V4- Tung-Sol
V5- Prefered Series 7025 (low noise)
V6- RFT High Gain
V7-Prefered Series 7025 (low noise)

Last edited:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
unsubstantiated...
How do you know? After a quad failing shortly, warranty exchange with another batch failing shortly thereafter again, I will avoid JJs for the foreseeable future. Just me. Ymmv. Don't take my word for it. And if you are happy with JJs, good for you.

Yes, but as I tested older NOS AEG, ITT, Telefunken, Sovtek, military NAD Philips plus a couple of old Marshall branded up to decades old, my findings are pretty much of use for me only.
I don't consider myself an expert by any means. But at least in my 6100 series amps, tubes contribute to the tone significantly enough for me. For example I the sought after and quite expensive NAD Philips contributed a very nice high-end distortion, I liked very much.
A friend of mine didn't like it.

In some cases different preamp tube combinations changed the gain pot ranges to a degree that I did not like the result at all.

In my experience and to my ears tubes matter in my 6100s.
If in your experience and to your ears tubes don't matter in your 6100...
Great. One thing less to worry about for you.

And still 🤣
Laughing WITH you.
Not ABOUT you.

Live is too short for a long face.
Well, you provided no substantiation - this kind of information was not in your previous post.
There was no mention of why you find 6100 tubes make a significant difference, or why your experience with JJ can be summed up as: Never again.
And thanks for the examples of your experiences as the OP may actually find the information useful.

My experiences were that the tube changes I tried had no positive improvements.
Perhaps I just already had a good set of tubes for the way I liked the amp to sound.

I don't care who you are laughing with, but I can't re-read you first post without thinking you were trying to insult me with your perceived superior knowledge.

Thoma

Reaction score
I don't care who you are laughing with, but I can't re-read you first post without thinking you were trying to insult me with your perceived superior knowledge.
Sorry for that. It is never my intention to insult anybody. I own it and take responsibility. I sent the message.
I intentionally put the laughing emoji in there. If my irony was unclear, my fault.

Not to justify - just to explain:
As my experience was 180° contrary to yours, your post read absurd to me.
So it appeared funny to me that someone really wrote there's no difference between day and night.

English is not my first language and my sense of humor can be misunderstood.

Again: Please excuse me, if I sounded rude.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I've steadily replaced all of my tubes with Tung-sols. On occasion, I try a different one, but I always go back.
just of note, I've seen many complaints of Tung-Sol failing in the cathode follower on Marshall amp's.

Reaction score
Only three companies in three countries make all the tube brands. The different factories in Russia and China are owned by the same national company. JJ is the only thing made in a democratic republic, with the least rebranding. One American company is making HiFi tubes only.
Interesting. Thank you