Turn off teH Chorus pleeze........

• Thread starter charveldan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

V-man

Reaction score
Oh teh noes, Priest played a bad show on Jimmy Fallon.

I saw them in 2008 amidst Testament, Motorhead, and Heaven & Hell. I was curious why Priest was the headliner amidst all that talent, as at least 2 of those bands could have interchangably filled the top spot. Then they all played, and there was no question why they headlined. It was like stepping back to my first priest show in 1990 (only the broads were way better looking and my tickets were nosebleeds then). If the attitude that having a bad show in 30+ years of groundbreaking releases and tours is so bad, I can't wait to see the flame war (or hypocrisy when that attitude suddenly vanishes) in the cellar when the next "we played a bad show" thread emerges. It happens, and better on Fallon than at a concert where the REAL fans pay to see them. P.S. Watching Fallon in the first place says more about you than a legendary band having an off night. ;)

As for the chorus business, I will preface things by stating I haven't seen the video (yet) and I am sure it is possible the tone was off. Maybe the playing was bad because the Fallon crew fucked things up in the first place (or maybe it was their own crew, I don't know). What I do know, is that I would give my left nut for Screaming for Vengeance and Painkiller alone for a career, to say nothing of Stained Class, British Steel, etc. Ooooh they used chorus! That was so played out from the 80s! Uh... wasn't their best music from the 80s... like before the retardation that is glam took hold in the latter half of the decade?

This is exactly why I had been so abusive to grunge, and later, numetal. Because fickle idiots would/did/do associate the raw distorted power chords with played-out, shit music that abused it for effect... like chorus. Of course, I'm not in high school any more and care a little less about the fickle tastes of others now. Chorus will make a comeback because too many people are afraid to be judged and will continue to lean on things today that will end up "played out" tomorrow as the cycle commences anew. :)

V-man

Reaction score
I just saw the video.

Really?

1. That was chorus mixed with phase.

2. As the previous post, that was a tone that was pionered by them in the 80s. The song was made in the 80s. The song was made with those FX in the 80s. What is the surprise here?

3. THAT generated the bitching? I expected to see Neil Young on SNL bad with all the whining. JP without KK (or Halford) isn't the same to me, but as others pointed out, the kid was great. As for Tipton, I'm not even sure that was a mistake so much as deliberate slow phrasing. If it was a mistake, it was anything but catestrophic. If it was deliberate, I get how people don't care for it, but after 30 years of performing the number, he's entitled to play around with it.

nedcronin

Reaction score
Those mofos can still rock. They have some kick ass albums and as far as I am concerned they are legit ass kicking rockers.

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Judas Priest has always and still is my favorite band.

WAY too much chorus though. At least they will change the tones for other songs like they have before... I hope!

Just glad I got to see 'em a couple times with the KK/Glen lineup. Sure the new guy is fine. They wouldn't pick someone that would suck.

Dave666

Reaction score
Too much gain IMO

Here is Priest with lots of feeling in their solos and one of their best songs ever recorded:

Enjoy

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeKuH114EiA&feature=related]Judas Priest - Beyond The Realms Of Death (1978) - YouTube[/ame]