V30 and Greenback mix

• Thread starter Alestir
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
I run all my amps like this no issues. That includes a DSL 20cr and 40.
Well the 20cr doesn't have the same outputs (no 4 ohm option). I think I'll leave you to plug whatever into whatever. At least, being an electronics whizz, if it all goes tits up, you can fix it.

JBA

Reaction score
Well the 20cr doesn't have the same outputs (no 4 ohm option). I think I'll leave you to plug whatever into whatever. At least, being an electronics whizz, if it all goes tits up, you can fix it.
Well at least your up front with us when your quote sais “I don’t see the point of learning new techniques....”

I’ve always run load balancing like this both impedance matched safely unmatched. We purposely test our amp designs in various mismatch conditions. I’ve helped many peaple fix the issues with their rigs and shown some with enough base knowledge how to calculate this and what are the safe and unsafe margins (if choosing some mismatch). Lots of folks out there with both 8 and 16 ohm speakers and mixed cab arrangements trying to make due or improve what they have. I have never had or heard of anyone having issues doing this correctly. Some guys go crazy and plug 8 ohm loads into the 16 ohm tap and vice versa and they are certainly asking for trouble.

Take this scenario for example: Guy has a 16 ohm speaker in one cab and 8 ohm speaker in another. A few outcomes here:

1. The general Forum recommendation is to sell one then buy another matching 16, parallel and run of the 8 ohm tap. Money is lost.

2. The guy really has no clue and plugs the 16 ohm speaker into the 16 ohm tap, and the 8 ohm speaker into the 8 ohm tap.. More common than you would think.. Now the amp has twice the load it was design for.. current goes up and is likely at or over the designed margin limit.

3. A professional advises him to plug the 16 ohm into the 8 ohm tap, and the 8 ohm into the 4 ohm tap. The amp is perfectly impedance matched and everything plays just like having two 16 ohm speakers. He doesn’t loose money for nothin’ and (maybe gets) his chicks for free :D

Last edited:

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
3. A professional advises him to plug the 16 ohm into the 8 ohm tap, and the 8 ohm into the 4 ohm tap. The amp is perfectly impedance matched and everything plays just like having two 16 ohm speakers. He doesn’t loose money for nothin’ and (maybe gets) his chicks for free :D
Yes, this is the correct way of running a miss-match with the 5 output Marshalls. Half load into each pair of outputs.
Running a 16 ohm cab in the single 16 ohm output, then adding another 16 ohm cab via the 4 ohm output, that is completely different.....it's an overload.

CroTone

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've been running a DSL40CR into a Orange 2x12 cabinet with 2 V30's. I've never played through V30's and am definitely hearing what many describe as a mid spike. and they sound a little grindy to me.

I prefer Greenbacks, so what would be the possible verdict of running one Greenback and one V30 in the Orange 2x12? I see Greenbacks are 98dB and the V30 is 100dB. There shouldn't be any problems with the V30 drowning out the Greenback, correct?

Any other issues I may run into or any other suggestions?

Thanks
I personally love the sound of this combo. Those are also my two favorite Celestion speakers.
I think that if you can find a good plywood vertical cab, put Greenback on top and V30 on the bottom...you could get some nasty good sounds.
Of course, under the condition that both speakers are "broken-in" enough because if they are new outside of the box, both will not sound as ideal as they should.
I think Dave Friedman himself loves this combo and it has been used in many boutique cabinets. I like how the brightness (upper mid of V30) blends with a darker speaker such as GB. I even find a combination of T75 and V30 as very good...they complement each other perfectly. Also, a combo to consider, IMHO.

JBA

Reaction score
Yes, this is the correct way of running a miss-match with the 5 output Marshalls. Half load into each pair of outputs.
Running a 16 ohm cab in the single 16 ohm output, then adding another 16 ohm cab via the 4 ohm output, that is completely different.....it's an overload.
Overload is a term used when the resistance is lowered below what the source can handle. In this case the mismatch can be equated to connecting a 12.8 ohm speaker to the 16 ohm tap. If your tube amp can’t handle that, it’s defective. Cannot do this with solid state. Tell me about your not Vietnamese Astoria and it’s high quality parts and how it was going to burn up. Sounds interesting, do you have an issue with yours or are they all poor quality? I’m surprised using your logic that all dsl’s don’t explode when mains voltage is off 2%.

At 5700 posts, I can see I just need to let you have the last comment and were all good here.

:iough:

Last edited:

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Overload is a term used when the resistance is lowered below what the source can handle. In this case the mismatch can be equated to connecting a 12.8 ohm speaker to the 16 ohm tap. If your tube amp can’t handle that, it’s defective. Cannot do this with solid state. Tell me about you not Vietnamese Astoria and it’s high quality parts and how it was going to burn up. Sounds interesting, do you have an issue with yours or are they all poor quality? I’m surprised all dsl’s don’t explode when mains voltage is off 2%.

At 5700 posts, I can see I just need to let you have the last comment and were all good here.

:iough:
Sorry to drag this out, but this is how folks learn about their gear and how to use it correctly, not about having the last word or questioning people's rationale.
To get back to the OP's question. Why, when he has two 16 ohm cabs and an amp with 2 x 16 / 1 x 8 ohm output option, would he risk using the other outputs?
It's not really very helpful to suggest people run a deliberate miss-match, then suggest if their amp can't take it, their amp is a POS.

hpharley90

Reaction score
I've been running a v30 and greenback in my 2x12 the last couple of months. I used to run 2 greenbacks but I like this much better. I have green back on bottom so I can use short mike stand. Sounds great.....

Last edited:

abkeller1

Reaction score
Why, cause it sounds really good. I have a Marshall 2536 Jubile cabinet with 2 Vintage 30's. I took one out replace with Greenback. I love it. Not everyone can afford muliple cabinets with different speakers in them, even Dr Decibil recommends it. That's the guy from Celestion. And if you ever want to mic the amp, you can chose which speaker to mic to get a different tone. It really works.
Replying to myself. Took out that Greenback put back the Vintage 30. I guess i was wrong back then