Volume 10, really had to try it!

• Thread starter grishnackh
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
Some of ya'll may have heard this story before...but right before halloween everybody was gone on a saturdady afternoon but me. We have a pretty good sized two story house...my rig is in the master bedroom on one end upstairs. Downstairs at the far end is a small den. Old lady had put a ceramic small pumkin thing on an end table down there. I decided to crank up my DSL because I never had before. I got her up to 8 with both cabs plugged in and played for about 20 minutes....which was an awesome almost religeous experience...I truly thought my 2203 had come back from the dead and was channeling. I got yelled at when they got home. Yep, that little porcelain punkin had walked its happy ass across the table and splattered all over that shiny Spanish marble floor...lol
and THAT is Marshall!:)

grishnackh

Reaction score
Lol! The suicidal pumpkin is something worth seeing!
Anyway as some of you have posted, yes, I usually play it at 3/4 with attenuator, and no, it is not quiet at all!!!
Now, the attenuator was hand-made by a technician I once knew, I've never had the chance to try other attenuators, but this one doesn't allow me to play louder than 4 without the windows shaking, (It has 5 stages of attenuation, but I use the 4th only because the 5th really sucks too much tone, with the 5th I can reach 5 on the volume).
Do you think it is a bad attenuator?Have you ever tried the hotplate stuff?
Now that I've heard how the beast sounds at 10 I can hardly listen to myself playing at 4 with attenuator...shit..I knew I should't have tried it...

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
Whos dimed their 1959RR without an attenuator? :eek:

khan

Reaction score
I've done this a couple of times since I got my 4010. I just picked up a 2x12 cab to go with the combo. I like to peg the amp w/ the guitar turned down to around 3/4. Them play some chords and swell the guitar volume. Man, the way the sound just comes up and roars....literally roars. Nothing else like it. Glad you got to do it. Now, you're going to be hooked.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
sitting on a surfin' board, when given a choice
Right after I got out of the Coast Guard back in '97, I landed back at the parents' house while I figured out what was next. You should have seen their faces when I lugged that 4104 into the house. That's a picture I'd pay for. Anyway, my dad was coming home from work one afternoon and started hearing a guitar about 100 yds up the street. He said every note was clear as a bell, and his hearing is thrashed. (He drove a concrete truck for 35 yrs).
'96 Anniversary Strat >>JCM 800, every knob in the house on 10.
It turned out that the glass doors on one of mom's china cabinets saved me from a bit of trouble... Some of her grandmother's dishes had leaned over the edge, but stopped on the glass. I'm surprised that the Strat didn't break the glass, too.
Then I wouldn't be alive to tell this story. Gotta say though, it sounded good to me. I wouldn't describe it as a "religious" experience, unless your religion involves putting on a fireproof suit and laying on your back as a space shuttle blasts off right over your face.

LpPepper

Reaction score
I was at rehearsal one day waiting for my band to arrive . The space is in the middle of an industrial estate , no houses nearby .

I put my VM on top of a cabinet at chest height , Master at 10 and Detail at 4 and body at 2 , which at low volumes sounds pretty bad ....

My god !!! The thing was so loud when you'd stand infront your jacket moved ! Was the best tone Ive ever experienced , the best feeling ever ! All that air moving was spiritual ...

khan

Reaction score
It is a bit frightening when things all around you begin to rattle and vibrate. You start to question the integrity of your house, things in your house, your floor. It can be very unnerving.

dualampman

Reaction score
It's been on my mind for quite some time and I finally made up my mind: I wanted to hear how my dsl100 sounds with volume at 10.
I usually play it at 3 with attenuator, and it's pretty loud, I've reached 5/6 but only once or twice.
This afternoon I plugged in the Les Paul, no pedal, some gain, and Volume 10.
Stand by off...Em Power Chord....
The roar came first...then the sound wave hit me in the face and I was almost pushed away from the amp, the a bottle fell from the shelf, my heart missed a beat, the God of Rock came down for a high five, then the feedback, the perfect feedback, windows shacking, my balls shacking, second bottle falling...
Stand by on...
I opened a beer and quietly waited for the police with a grin on my face!

And Angels were singing and You could here the choirs of AHHHHH's and there was a brilliant light. And all the sudden I understood......

Much rejoicing.

thats how I remember my first time :dude:

diesel king

Reaction score
I've never had mine up that high. We played a gig last week and the soundman didn't mic up, I got the DSL on the red channel at about vol 7 gain 7 and it was fucking loud. I also full stacked at rehearsal the other day and got vol 6 gain 7 and that was unholy loud so I imagine 10 would be insane!

Ken

Reaction score
When the house is empty I like to fool around with the volume way up (I think it's rude to play too loud fooling around at rehersals or jams).. The DSL 50 is awful loud with my 100 dB spaker stack! I don't have the gain on 10 on the red channel though because it sounds best about 6 with the volume full out when I'm plaing music. I also like to actually push the lead button in (gasp!), but keep the gain at 3-4 and volume on 10. Now THAT'S a nice metal tone!

On the green channel you dime both gain and volume, and button in! That's the setting that cracks the walls.

Ken

Frankie

Reaction score
You wanna know what puts a dimed 100 watt Marshall to shame? A cranked Ampeg SVT on two 8x10's! My bassist has that exact rig, a '71 SVT, and he let it rip one time so loud that my pants were actually flapping from the SPLs. Another time he brought his head into the music store to try out some new cabinets and he was actually knocking stuff of the shelves! Don't get me wrong, Marshalls are loud, but that SVT actually has a warning label on the back about hearing loss... it ain't fucking around! The power section in those holds six 6550's!

nedcronin

Reaction score
I love the sound of my TSL with the crunch channel gain on about 5, master dimed....just killer. However I have a crack in one of the handles on my cab and it makes a hell of a buzz when I turn it up.....need to replace them with metal ones asap. BTW anyone know a good place to get metal handles from cheap?

DeLorean

Reaction score
Got my DSL 50 up to 4.5 at my gig on Saturday :lol:

Sounded great though - although would sound better if I had better tubes in there.

10 is a number I can only dream of :(

vintagevoltage351

Reaction score
Was at a friends huge property last saturday for a party and a jam which was perfect cause i never had my jmp past 4 before. We did a gig at a small pub a while back and i was only on 2 then!
Has a master vol fitted, so i set gain to 4-5 and cranked it for a while. Had many chicken skin moments... sounded unreal!!! A bit muddy though, im guessing cause of the greenback loaded tv. Im sure a full stack will fix that.

So i dropped it back to about 7-8 and ignored the world around me for about 40mins. :)