Volume 10, really had to try it!

• Thread starter grishnackh
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kennylee

Reaction score
i dimed my 82 800 combo at a barbeque. a buch of freinds said they were bring'n there guitars and amps,and asked if i wanted to. there was no drummer,or bass player,just us guitar guys. these guys are people i work with, all easy go'in, sounded like fun. i knew somethin was up cause they were all interested in the marshall [ there were five other amps.line 6 100 watter, crate solid state combo, and some other things]. i asked if they ever turned theirs all the way up, no one their had. the nearest house was about a mile away [rural north idaho],so i said they should play loud as hell. to be honest, it was loud. nobody there is a stellar player,but it was cool. then it was my turn. i brought my hamer t-51 and a sd-1. it was the best,people stopped in their tracks,dogs ran away, jaws agape. the next monday my buds at work were all about getting somekind of marshall.

tonefreak

Reaction score
i dimed my 82 800 combo at a barbeque. a buch of freinds said they were bring'n there guitars and amps,and asked if i wanted to. there was no drummer,or bass player,just us guitar guys. these guys are people i work with, all easy go'in, sounded like fun. i knew somethin was up cause they were all interested in the marshall [ there were five other amps.line 6 100 watter, crate solid state combo, and some other things]. i asked if they ever turned theirs all the way up, no one their had. the nearest house was about a mile away [rural north idaho],so i said they should play loud as hell. to be honest, it was loud. nobody there is a stellar player,but it was cool. then it was my turn. i brought my hamer t-51 and a sd-1. it was the best,people stopped in their tracks,dogs ran away, jaws agape. the next monday my buds at work were all about getting somekind of marshall.

LOL:headbanger:

Ken

Reaction score

Nice! I'm going to have that happen tomorrow I think. I'm playing with a guy who's a drummer but dabbles on guitar. He has a Peavy tube something combo; one 12" speaker that I used before. I'm bringing my DSL half stack tomorrow; I think he'll be impressed!

Ken

Trypticon

Reaction score
I have twin 2203KKs running through 4 1960Bs with stock speakers. love going to the studio putting both heads on 10 and with my 25ft cable going out of the studio door and closing it behind and just letting some thrash riffs go.

I can feel the floor shake beneath me and literally watch my walls vibrate.

Fucking beyond insane!!!!!:headbanger::headbanger::headbanger:

weslee1

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance, but when you guys dime your amps, do you wear ear protection? I can only get my haze 40 only to 6 with full gain on the boosted channel before its too damn loud.

Trypticon

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance, but when you guys dime your amps, do you wear ear protection? I can only get my haze 40 only to 6 with full gain on the boosted channel before its too damn loud.

I started playing when I was 12 or so, started running twin stacked rigs at about 16 and now At 33 I am starting to regret NOT wearing ear protection.

Now I have chronic tinnitus and after gigs or rehearsals I cant hear sub frequencies for a few hrs to a day after.

But no real regrets it was worth it to an extent, but now I do wear protection.

JayCM800

Reaction score
I have twin 2203KKs running through 4 1960Bs with stock speakers. love going to the studio putting both heads on 10 and with my 25ft cable going out of the studio door and closing it behind and just letting some thrash riffs go.

I can feel the floor shake beneath me and literally watch my walls vibrate.

Fucking beyond insane!!!!!:headbanger::headbanger::headbanger:

:headbanger::headbanger::headbanger::cheers:

wizard_37

Reaction score
I have a 1974 100 watt marshall head, yeah its the clean one no distortion, and i cranked it to 10 like they used to do in the good ole days and it made its own distortion, i also tried my jvm 410h and man, had the amp in my music room and stood down the hall in the living room with my buddy, he had ear plugs, not me i wanted to hear all of it man, ears rang for the rest of the day into the night, my wife wanted me to get my hearing checked and i just looked at her and laughed my ass off.

Nebulozny

Reaction score
Well, going with the flow of this thread, I had to crank the sucker last night again, just because I can....and my family was away from house :dude:
Stuffed my ears with paper tissues, open couple of Heinekens, and off it goes...

I say, if you haven't experienced that cranked 100w tube soundwall hitting your belly, you haven't been playing rock and roll man.

Yeah, and my neighbours hate me again, good old days...

wannabweiland

Reaction score
Marshall & Moonshine said:
...I wouldn't describe it as a "religious" experience, unless your religion involves putting on a fireproof suit and laying on your back as a space shuttle blasts off right over your face.

:lol::lol::lol: Such a great description! lol!

BTW, this thread alone is making my ears hurt!

ReiGnMaN

Reaction score
I dimed a Splawn modified Plexi in my gear room and looked over at the drumset and the black throne was covered in white dust. I looked above and the ceiling was literally raining white specks down onto the drumset... No matter how hard the drummer hit before that, not a tiny piece came down :)

AtomicRob

Reaction score
Couple years ago I was playing a gig at a convention center in a huge room (>10000 people) with my JMP 2203 and an old 4x12 cab with G12-65's. I had it cranked up to around 8 and it was absolutely sweet. And surprisingly not loud even directly in front of it on stage - the size of the room makes a big difference. We were opening for a major act and got to use their PA - basically a full concert PA, so it was mic'd through this huge system with multiple hanging wedge towers, bass bins on the floor, etc. The phrase "religious experience" comes to mind :dude::dude:

BTW on all my Marshalls (from a '66 JTM50 up through newer ones like 2203/2204), around 8 sounds better than 10 IMHO. So I almost never get all the way dimed. Maybe 8 should be the new 10, even though it's 3 quieter than 11... :D

SteveGangi

Reaction score
I don't care if it's a Marshall, HiWatt, Mesa, Ampeg, or what, everyone should get a chance to dime a big good amp at least once. You'll never forget it. :rock:

The Ozzk

Reaction score
Nothing like a Marshall running in the proper zone. It's a religious experience. Try it next time with the gain down, I bet it keeeeerangs like no other.

MV 8-9, PA 3-4... that's the sweet spot on my 2203.

The Ozzk

Wycked Lester

Reaction score
I dime every time ......recording wise that is. There is nothing like it, in the world. Sometimes, when playing live, if i can find a little room somewhere close to the stage i'll mic my cab up in there and dime it, then run back thru the monitors. Sometimes the sound comming out of the room is almost as loud as stage volume, but man it sure sounds sweet.

tora tora

Reaction score
I'm in! - if only for a couple of minutes- Thunder of the Gods!- I'll have to worship again sometime.

Blokkadeleider

Reaction score
Well... I cannot follow here. I have a true, real Marshall but I cannot put the volume at 10. I did on several ocassions dime the loudness knobs however. :D

Hmm, when was the change from loudness to volume?
Probably a question for the vintage section.

Gr,

Gerrit.

indeedido

Reaction score
Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains...
I dimed my Metro Amp 12000 series plexi at my house one day. Put everything on 10. It was so loud it set off my alarm in the house even though it wasn't on. The glass break sensors detected the vibrations on the windows and got set off. It thought they were broken. Alarm company was quick to call. It definitely moved the pants on my legs. After that it was only tried at band practice that loud.

Latest posts