What amp will get me far enough away from the Marshall sound? Vox, Supro, other?

• Thread starter FleshOnGear
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

What non-Marshall should I get next?

• Vox AC15TBX

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Supro combo

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Other

Votes: 8 72.7%

• Total voters

BRMarshall

Reaction score
I bought a Vox AC4C1-12 a couple years ago ($100 off -black grill cloth version) from SW. It has a very different tone than Marshalls I’ve owned and heard. 4 watts is plenty for me at home but would not be in a band setting on its own. However, it may be a lower cost option for exploring some non-Marshall tones.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on what you already own I'm thinking you need a profiling amp like an Axe FX or Kemper. You can download any amp you want!
Not a bad idea, but that kinda works against my plan to build an amp collection! And btw, I think a collection is defined almost as much by what you don’t have as what you do have.
I think any of the Dumble style ODS circuits would give you a different flavor, as would most Boogies.
I was just checking out Dumble clones on YT. Interesting idea. I guess I had discounted them based on the kind of players that use them. Just not my style. But they sound nice!
I too would look at Mesa. The Fillmore 50w combo would be awesome. To go with Dumble ODS, or Several other American style amps, look at Ceriatone.
Lots of Mesa suggestions. I’m not familiar with the Fillmore. I’ve thought about getting a Studio Preamp, rather than buying a whole Mark series amp. But then I have to get a rack. A Mark is not in the budget for a long time.
Get a Supro Delta King regardless because the tone quality is off the charts at that price point. Usually costs three times that. Supro flagship amps are not cheap, though.
I checked out the Delta King 10 on YT. Sounds great! I like the idea of a 5-watt single-ended amp. But I also like the idea of the reissue Supros. The paraphase inverters those amps have impart a unique tone. The Delta King price is very attractive.

Latest posts