• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

What guitar do you most regret selling?

• Thread starter Clayton Custom Cabs
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stratofly59

Reaction score
Hindsight into my youth, lots of learning by trial and error with guitars and amps. Youth, easily influenced.

axe4me

In Memorandum
Reaction score
If I could have kept them all, I'd have a museum.

From the Sovtek Mig 60 to the 55' Country Club to the Sam Ash Fuzzola to the Mosrite bass & Fuzzrite, my home would not be big enough.

The beige krinkle Rickenbacker Model 59 Lap Steel and Gibson Nuclear Yellow Les Paul Junior Pro I would still be here.

Wildeman

Reaction score
Oh shizzle, i just remembered a horrible incident. I misplaced some pawn tickets once and three guitars went out on the floor, i only realized it when i went in and saw one of my prized guitars hanging up for sale!:shrug:
Well, the other two were gone.....'53 Silvertone Thin Twin and a very rare Neubauer archtop from Germany with a DeArmond Rhythm Chief on it......
Lesson learned the hard way, they did give me back the third one at least but damn....

79 2203

Reaction score
I've only owned about 20 guitars in just under 40 years and have 3 at the moment. Can't say I regret selling any of the one's I sold. Some of them have been CS Masterbuilt/Teambult Strats and a Historic LP but they just weren't doing it for me.

zekmoe

Reaction score
Guitar - Original Steinberger M series. Red with white binding, was amazing and I can’t get a good one for a reasonable price anymore ($2000 or so). Good ones fetch twice that.
Amp- Reinhardt 18watt head. Was perfect. I was in a gear purge mode at the time but they’re basically the only thing I miss.
I had a firebird VII that I liked but couldn’t intonate. I should have sent that to a real pro luthier in some place like Nashville, I bet they could have made it a great instrument.

bvoris

Reaction score
My very first guitar. Fender Squier Bullet from 96, think it was Japanese made. Played really well and very smooth.
I sold it for $200 which I was surprised I got that much for it at the time. I bought an RP-6 from digitech which I regretted almost instantly.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
70’s Gibson SG , it was players condition but I will always miss that guitar . I had a time where I stopped playing and it was just sitting around in the case .

chromeboy

Reaction score
I once sold my red 1968 es 335. It was a Hollow body and I sold it to buy a black sg. The guy I sold it to still has it, won't sell it back to me, doesn't play it and it just sit in his closet and has been there fo probably 30 years. It is worth about 8 grand maybe less. It's in mint condition and has the original hardshell case.
Last I talked to my friend he said it still looked like new. Been kicking myself in the ass ever since I sold that guitar.

premiumplus

Reaction score
This one hurts to even think about. There are actually TWO of them.

A 1962 Strat, white w/turtleshell pickguard, that I bought for $75 in 1969. It had a twisted neck and I sold it in 1972 for $50. I figured I'll be able to buy another one cheap, no problem.

My '68 Les Paul Custom that went to the pawn man for $100, a couple of years before I got sober.

I still kick myself over that one.

Last edited:

fingertied

Reaction score
Regret selling my first les paul, bought new in 1982 .. sold it to buy a Marshall 1987 in 1989 .. which i still have. Should have found another way to by the Marshall

jeffb

Reaction score
During a prolonged layoff these two

2005 R8- best Les Paul barring a few actual 50s models I ever played. Blows away every other Reissue I have tried. Once in a lifetime guitar.

2005 Hamer Standard

r8.jpg IM000354.JPGIM000360.JPG

donwagar

Reaction score
Around 1968 I had a '56 Tele. It was beat all to hell, but it was a great guitar. I regret selling it today, but at the time I'd found a '55 Les Paul Special (I'd been on the hunt for a used Les Paul), so the Tele went to buy the LP.

I wish I still had the Special, but it went to buy a '64 ES330, which I still do have.

Over the years other guitars have come and gone, the one I wish I would have kept is that beat up old Tele.

no3rdseat

Reaction score
This is easy, yet not so easy to think about.

Back in the late 80's I worked at PRS in final assembly and electronics. Every employee was offered the chance to build one dream guitar for the price of parts, which was about $250.00 US back then. So I had a guitar built with all of the ideas that were rolling around in my head at the time. It was a Scarlett Red, quilted maple signature series top, Standard-24 with HFS-2 pickups (which I had just come up with), 5-position rotary switch, quilted maple fingerboard with all of the most colorful abalone birds I could find. I had a Scarlett Red bookmatched curly maple laminated headstock topping off a wide thin neck with a tremolo and locking tuners. Paul signed it on the front in gold pen and on the back of the headstock he wrote, "For My Friend Rick".

We didn't make much back then. I was making about $6.00/hr and living on my own with a car payment. I couldn't make ends meet so I sold my one of a kind Scarlett Red PRS. Paul got word from the dealer that I had sold it to. He came to my bench, sort of choked up, and asked why I sold my guitar. I told him I had to pay bills. He dropped his head in disappointment. I could see that Paul, being very sensitive, was disappointed in himself that he couldn't pay people more but also sad because as a guitarist, he knows how difficult it is to let go of a very special instrument.

Filipe Soares

Reaction score

obx351

Reaction score
Two actually: a refretted '58 Les Paul TV Special and a '59 sunburst ES-335 with a bigsby, split parallelograms inlays, Epiphone emperor tuners and a slim '60 neck. For the record the 335 was a '59 and everything mentioned above were installed at Gibson. All the custom work was probably done as an employee purchase. I was able to buy the 335 because it had a repaired headstock.

25 years later I've replaced them with the three guitars on the left '52 Std, '56 TV & '64 335, but I still regret selling the '58 and '59. Vintage guitars small.jpg

Last edited:

ExpatZ

Reaction score
My 2006 Tyler Dan Huff Classic.
It was in mint condition and played like no other instrument I have ever owned.
I will regret selling that to the end of my days.

Brian Krashpad

Reaction score
Others to much lesser degree, but mostly a Ric 430. Looked like this'un:

430-fran-frontfull.jpg

Only shot I have of the actual guitar is this bad scan of it leaning against the doorway of my house in college:

25565544728_8f02fa86f2_o.jpg

Except for the Vega archtop (which my brother kinda stole) I still have the other guitars in that photo. Probably c. 1982.

Last edited:

patrice

Reaction score
A purple Suhr standard with a beautiful flame top and maple neck: the guitar sounded and looked great but I hated the Buzz Feiten nut because the tuning was a bit different than my other guitars (that system was offered without additional cost by Suhr at the time, they later dropped it...:rolleyes:). As it was not really possible to remove it, I put it on sale. A guy on a guitar forum where I put it for sale, almost cried on the phone that it was his dream guitar, but couldn't afford it, so finally I lowered the price and sold it to him. About 2 months later that guy put the guitar for sale on the same forum, but which a much higher price that my initial offer. I was pissed off :wallbash:. Lesson learned.

Brian Krashpad

Reaction score
A purple Suhr standard with a beautiful flame top and maple neck: the guitar sounded and looked great but I hated the Buzz Feiten nut because the tuning was a bit different than my other guitars (that system was offered without additional cost by Suhr at the time, they later dropped it...:rolleyes:). As it was not really possible to remove it, I put it on sale. A guy on a guitar forum where I put it for sale, almost cried on the phone that it was his dream guitar, but couldn't afford it, so finally I lowered the price and sold it to him. About 2 months later that guy put the guitar for sale on the same forum, but which a much higher price that my initial offer. I was pissed off :wallbash:. Lesson learned.

Oh la la! :shock: :(

Latest posts