• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

What guitar do you most regret selling?

• Thread starter Clayton Custom Cabs
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Derek S

Reaction score
Fender MIJ Photoflame 60s Reissue (that guitar probably was summoned in a crossroad by the devil himself, it was not supposed to sound as good as it sounded)
Got one of those (60's HRR) back in '94 and still have it to this day (far right guitar in the pic) and know what you mean, very resonant and sturdy feeling guitar, amazing tone. I HATE the photo top tho. If I was ever going to do that silly (IMO) faux relic thing to a guitar - it would be that one just to lose the cheesy foto-finish.

Guitars.jpg

I can only think of one that I regret selling and that was an early 80's Les Paul Custom...doh! So young, so dumb.

Filipe Soares

Reaction score
Got one of those (60's HRR) back in '94 and still have it to this day (far right guitar in the pic) and know what you mean, very resonant and sturdy feeling guitar, amazing tone. I HATE the photo top tho. If I was ever going to do that silly (IMO) faux relic thing to a guitar - it would be that one just to lose the cheesy foto-finish.

Guitars.jpg

I can only think of one that I regret selling and that was an early 80's Les Paul Custom...doh! So young, so dumb.

mine was a sunburst S-S-S with a standard tremolo. I think this is one of the few pics I have of her and a 17yo me playing in my highschool.

206444_214738311876236_2240637_n.jpg

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Nope. Not guitars.
However, when it comes to amps...

1. Bought new in 1983 a white Canadian 2203 with matching G65 cab. Sold it to a buddy /bandmate who fortunateky still plays in kne of my bamds so I see it once in a long while. It was to fund my 2558 Junilee in 1987.

2. Speaking of Said 2558 Jubilee. I stupidly traded it to the local dealer in about 2004 to fund my TSL122. It has way more versatility. So?? Jeez man get a grip, right? I didn't need to fund it with that.
On the positive, the same Jubilee surfaced here locally 2 years later. I promptly bought it back!!
So it ended well amd I am so glad I grabbed a brain.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah , amps .....
MOST of the guitars I regretted selling, Ive bought back ,some for much more money ...but I got 'em

1994 I was in a pretty desperate situation ,making the transition from 7yrs in the military to touring musician. Im driving down the street and my truck dies. Into panic mode I go .I was doing tree work and needed the vehicle.
I spent a couple days trying to find the issue . While in panic , I SOLD my fawn 2203 ......(It hurts just sayin that)
So Im really down , one of my buddies says,"Did you call Richard the mailman ?" Nope ...."Call him"
I call Richard ,tell him what's goin on . ...Yeah ,I tried a known good ignition module ....
"But did you replace the OTHER module,the one on the back of the distributor?"
Huh ? WHA'?
I reach around and pull that MF, hoof it over to the Pep Boys , drop 20 bucks ,hoof back home ,plug it in
VRRRROOOOOM ,we have ignition
I coulda beat myself sensless

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
The first guitar that felt right in my hands was a 2nd hand '86 Charvel Model 4 I got in about '89.
It was a purple one with a Kahler installed.
I had to sell it in '92 to afford the parts I needed to finish a set-neck copy I made of it.
So I never got to compare the two side-by-side.
Top is a Model 4, bottom is my version.

7396634[1].jpg
20200427_100456-1600.jpg

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
Never sold a guitar. I don't have many, though. Can't imagine selling one.

edit: I take that back. I got a Chinese Gretsch and I wouldn't mind selling it. It doesn't really feel like a "real" guitar.

Last edited:

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
I've only sold one- my first electric. Technically traded in on a different guitar. No regrets. If I wanted I could replace it easy enough. They pop-up for sale at around $700 all the time.
scyjho3cjxck6mxtqs7y.jpg

dslman

Reaction score
My old Ibanez Destroyer & Artist (335 style), '62 Gibson LP/SG- white-- that belonged to Jimi Hendrix (Got it from a friend of my uncle who was a friend of Jimi)-- Sold both in the late 70's, a REALLY nice Suhr Standard I had.
Oh my , that has to sting a little, I once jammed with a drummer who said he had played with Jimi,who knows? , but he seemed truthful.
He had that late 60's-early 70's almost swing style, but we were looking for 80's rock/metal.

dslman

Reaction score

Guitars.jpg

I had that same guitar, I know what you mean about the FotoFlame, it always bugged me, but the guitar was nice.

dslman

Reaction score
Probably a great Kramer Focus 3000,"played nice" and my first electric guitar, a LP copy called Lincoln, it was white. I saw it on CL a few years ago and knew it was mine, but regretably I didn't go get it.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I only really regret selling my first Gibson but only because it's such a rare bird that I'd like to have it back simply because it is so unusual.

It's a 1984 Explorer in black with a white pickguard, and a Kahler tremolo. The unique thing is that it's in the "Artist Original" series and is the only Artist Original Explorer I've ever seen that had the white "sperm shaped" hand-painted squigglies on it. I've seen that on Vs, but it was the only Explorer that I've ever seen with them. If there are more like it, there aren't many more like it.

I've never found another one like it. Not even a photo of one.

As a guitar it was mediocre.

zachman

Reaction score
Oh my , that has to sting a little, I once jammed with a drummer who said he had played with Jimi,who knows? , but he seemed truthful.
He had that late 60's-early 70's almost swing style, but we were looking for 80's rock/metal.

I had sold the guitar back in '79, but to me the worst part is not the Jimi component it's the 20:20 hind sight of how valuable the guitar became that makes me sigh

Wildeman

Reaction score
Kept my best guitars, there was the '57 Tele but i made a grip on that. Amps on the other hand, '61 brown Super, '65 Vibrolux, '65 Princeton, '59 Champ, '64 black/tweed cab Champ.......make it stop!

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A mint 1961 Fender Duo Sonic, factory sunburst respray, with factory case. Also mint. I was the second owner. The guy I got it from in 1979-80 bought it new in 1962 with a 1962 National Val-verb 2x10 combo. I got them both for $200. He bought them, never learned to play and chucked them in a closet, which was where they sat until I bought them.

I sold the Duo Sonic in the early 80s at a fraction of what it was worth to finance some other purchase. When I see the same guitar in a lot worse shape for sale for thousands I kick my self for selling it. Young and dumb...

johan.b

Reaction score
Not selling but NOT buying..

When i was 16, I took the commuter train into the town I now live in, every Saturday morning. Ran up to the local music store and spent the morning playing though their inventory. There was a-56 Gibson les paul junior. It was very worn allready at that time and had a humbucker instead of the p90. It was SO GOOD. But it was just a little more than I could aford at the time and I was too proud to ask my parents for a loan... and it only had one pickup...It must have went on for 10-12 weeks and I must have brought it to the cashier 5-6 times and backed out in the last second.. it only had one pickup, it seemed important at the time... it was the kind of instrument the that sung by itself, the neck shaking in your left hand...
... then one morning... it was gone...
At the time, rock guitars was supposed to be pointy and bright colours, so it probably went home with a blues or jazz man.... and for 32 years I could never quite get it out of my mind.... were did it end up?...I still live in the same small town and there's a lot of musicians here.. through the years I've asked around, looked at local ads and everything.. even asked on the local "what's happening in your town fb page", someone must know where it went...
...and for 32 tears I've been more or less exclusive to the bridge pickup on my les Paul, so there is that...
... just yesterday, I talked with a friend at the local Gibson agent about it... there might still be a junior in my future...
J

Adieu

Reaction score
One of these (pic from internet).

104770-c530b97974c6ffc231d76c0548b415ca.jpg

Actually had HB108's / Detonators on mine, just black though... and fancy guilded saddles. And Grovers. And huge, presumably aftermarket frets.

Man that thing could chug and squeal. And factory coil taps made it sound like a Tele of all things....regardless of what pickups were in there.

Last edited:

bradley Thomas Wilson

Reaction score
The first guitar that felt right in my hands was a 2nd hand '86 Charvel Model 4 I got in about '89.
It was a purple one with a Kahler installed.
I had to sell it in '92 to afford the parts I needed to finish a set-neck copy I made of it.
So I never got to compare the two side-by-side.
Top is a Model 4, bottom is my version.

View attachment 72815
View attachment 72816
Damn, I hear ya. I have regretted pawning(yes Pawning) a Charvel I had gotten in high school for 100$ in my using days. It still makes me sick. Had a Floyd, was well used, but I loved it and I sold it for dope. Ugh. Got rid of a Vox AC15 once for dope as well. But hey, been clean for years and have a pretty good collection now. Couple of posts above with that sunburst Strat. I've always liked those with the SSS. I still troll around looking for that Charvel for sale, but I'll never find her again. I will never sell another guitar no matter what. I ALWAYS regret it. Even my Chinese ones I like a great deal, I will not sell.

bradley Thomas Wilson

Reaction score
Kind of a regret also. I had a good friend who was loaded and wanted to play in a band, ok. Not the best drummer, but hey whatever. He loved to buy us gear. I was always a bit timid on others giving me gear for no real good reason. So I would always decline then regret it. The last time I saw the guy alive we were at Guitar Center and he said go pick one. I'm like what. Hes like go pick out a guitar and I'll buy it. Again. I said nah I am good. Then the next week literally he died from the Flu. Crazy. One of those things I just should have said yes too. And I remember that day I had a wonderful Les Paul Jr that just was alive in my hands. Ugh. I swear some of those are supernatural.