• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

What guitar do you most regret selling?

• Thread starter Clayton Custom Cabs
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
2002 Custom Shop long tenon lemon burst Gibson LP Standard with a great neck and incredible Birdseye top. Bought it new from Wildwood—Steve gave me a killer deal b/c his online guys only bought by weight and he couldn’t unload a 9.2 lb LP. Sold it for what I paid for it pretty much but it was a terrible mistake—that guitar rang like a bell

TheCount0212

Reaction score
I had a J-185, I bought it from Davey Graham for a fair price - he needed heroin, I lusted after his guitar, a deal was done one stormy night in Dingwalls, Camden Lock back in the seventies... He taught me Angi as part of the deal.
She was a 1952 - same year as I was born, blonde and played beautifully.
Had to sell her about five years later to pay the lawyers in a divorce.
Regretted it ever since... until I got my Gold top, nearly a decade ago.

Great story and thanks for the introduction to Davey Graham, sir.

HumanJHawkins

Reaction score
I regret selling this beauty... The sound was amazing. Playability was insane.
20151124_153559.jpg
Qi1897V1M4G49n716

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
A 25th Anniversary Les Paul Custom many years ago to a guy who couldn't play the intro to Lagrange right.

NoelH

Reaction score
I kept the two that matter most: My '76 Destroyer, and an '83 Destroyer II I turned into "Phil Collen". But there is one guitar I do regret selling:

1981 Gibson Explorer 2. It was a killer, and I didn't appreciate what I had. I was young and didn't think it through. Ah well....

jazzdj

Reaction score
Interesting conversation going on over on TDPRI, what guitar do you most regret selling. Well?

Here's my story:

I learned (could have) that valuable lesson from my neighbor back in 1992. He was playing his guitar out in his driveway on our cul-de-sac (sp?) He introduced me to this affliction. He said, Rich don't every sell a guitar or amp, you will live to regret it. He told me about the Gibson SG double neck he had sold, it was from the 60's he said, which at the time meant nothing to me. OMG!

Well, I've always had more "wants & needs" than dollars...so, in a moment of weakness I traded in (you know I got hosed good) an 80s' Les Paul Custom Cherry burst and a Marshall JCM 800 half stack...to buy an acoustic guitar. I went through a Peter Paul and Mary phase and thought I'd never again "plug in and dime out an amp" - my neighbor was so right!

What I would have to pay to get that rig back makes me ill.
Rich

So what's your question, "What guitar do you most regret selling?" OR what Amp or Cab??? Your later posts refers to a "cab".

Are you actually Joe.mentia Biden using a Pen name? Ya Seem kinda "confused".

If ya'll talking about guitar regret, ..... NEVER sold a guitar I wish I had kept because I would have considered selling (getting rid of) it.

I've sold a few amps I do regret now, the most is a Gallien-Kruegger 200RB bass amp head, what a great light-weight solid-state kick a** bass amp that sounded great thru any brand cabinet with good speakers. And the other was a first year (1973) issue Music Man "HD One Thirty" (130 Watts for real) head. Later models that were not so good had the badge reading "HD 130". Eric Clapton had two stacks of these MM HD One Thirty's and said since that they were the best sounding amps he ever had. Mark Knopfler also swore by the MM One Thirty. I bought this one from a musician that came into my shop, saying that it sounded like crap and it looked like it, BEAT inside and out. It looked like an ash tray that's never been emptied. He couldn't afford to pay the repair cost, so I gave him $50-USD for it. I took a year rebuilding it and recovering it so it looked and sounded literally new. I sold it for $400 years later after using it for gigs. That was stupid!

Gallien-Kruegger 200RB bass amp head.jpg

MM_HD130_front_sml.jpg

In case you didn't believe it. ....... A Brit who loved(s) American amps and guitars better than Marshalls, Orange or Vox.
Eric Clapton and MM HS One Thirtys.jpg

Eric Clapton and MM HS One Thirtys 2.jpg

Exotic

Reaction score
getting close to replacing my sold guitar i regretted
top photo the one i sold in 2003
bottom photo the one i have now ,how's it gonna look with a gold frx instead of the gold kahler ?

1X15 FUTURA (Mobile).jpg IMG_2718 (Mobile).jpg

s-l1600 (Mobile) (2).jpg

Last edited:

i3oosted

Reaction score
While not a regret, I do miss it a lot. My Agile 3200, such a great guitar with great tone, just a bit heavy.

Trapland

Punk, classic, funk, jazz and everything else.
Reaction score
At one time I owned every oxblood Fender amp except the twin. All gone. Every blackface, even a few rare combo extension cabs, mostly gone. Several Tweed Fenders. My Only 67 plexi with pinstripe cab. Boogies, Soldano SLO, Jim Kelley, HiWatt, Voxs. I regret selling them ALL.

Guitars? Had maybe a hundred American made and custom shop Gibson’s and Fenders, some decent vintage pieces too, 59 Es-225td, 66 Mustang, etc. Don’t regret selling ANY guitar except a 1976 fat neck Explorer.

Wildeman

Reaction score
getting close to replacing my sold guitar i regretted
top photo the one i sold in 2003
bottom photo the one i have now ,how's it gonna look with a gold frx instead of the gold kahler ?

View attachment 73394 View attachment 73395

View attachment 73397
Nice. Epi is making a very nice looking Moderne now if you haven't seen, they offer a case too.
Never mind, i see you already have the bottom one. Ibanez too, or something else?

Exotic

Reaction score
yes those are both ibanez ,those both have/had ,their original cases ,i have an open book futura with a epiphone destroyer case .

purpleplexi

Reaction score
Had an original Vox teardrop that I paid I think £5 for. Don't remember actually selling it but I don't have it. Maybe I gave it away.

Steve Smith

Reaction score
Interesting conversation going on over on TDPRI, what guitar do you most regret selling. Well?

Here's my story:

I learned (could have) that valuable lesson from my neighbor back in 1992. He was playing his guitar out in his driveway on our cul-de-sac (sp?) He introduced me to this affliction. He said, Rich don't every sell a guitar or amp, you will live to regret it. He told me about the Gibson SG double neck he had sold, it was from the 60's he said, which at the time meant nothing to me. OMG!

Well, I've always had more "wants & needs" than dollars...so, in a moment of weakness I traded in (you know I got hosed good) an 80s' Les Paul Custom Cherry burst and a Marshall JCM 800 half stack...to buy an acoustic guitar. I went through a Peter Paul and Mary phase and thought I'd never again "plug in and dime out an amp" - my neighbor was so right!

What I would have to pay to get that rig back makes me ill.
Rich
I sold my mint silverface 76 Twin Reverb for 200 when I was skint... bah humbug

Solid State

Reaction score
My first Malmsteen strat was an 88 model in sonic blue. Over the years it became beautiful to look at. That paint ages really well. I sold it for $850 so I'd have extra cash for a vacation with the wife to Thailand. I came back and nearly had a panic attack not having the guitar. I harrassed the guy I sold it to for about a year and he finally gave it back to me for $1200.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I had a 1984 Gibson Explorer with Kahler tremolo, in the "Artist Original" series. It was basic black with a white pickguard, but with several white squiggles painted on that generally looked like drawings of sperm cells. It wasn't the greatest guitar of all time but rarity? I've literally never found another one, or even a photo of one, EVER, and I search for it, or one like it, several times a year.

Simply for the rarity of it, I wish I'd kept it. And I could have removed the Kahler and installed a TOM bridge and stop tailpiece very simply, because the studs for them were already in the guitar. I'd just have had a little chamber between them where the tremolo would have been.

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
2008 Gibson les paul bfg gold top. Was a beauty. Sold to add funds for mortgage deposit and be able to purchase the home I live in now.
Something about that guitar was so good and I regret that one the most for sure.
Also regret selling a Gibson SG special in cream/yellow with a ebony fretboard. I’ve never see one since and just based on how cool it was.

Derek S

Reaction score
I can think of three looking back that I'd like to kick myself in the ass for getting rid of lol. In my defense I really don't know what I had at the time in a couple of cases...positive we've all made that mistake a time or two.

A good neighborhood friend lost his dad at a young age and he gave me his late fathers early 80's LP custom. He (nor I) didn't really know jack about it, he just knew I played guitar and thought I would use it...so yeah, like a dumbass, a few years later I sold it not understanding it was a keeper.

A mid 90's USA Custom Shop Ibanez RG30 (made in PA). It was on par with J.Custom's IMO, shoulda kept it.

An early prototype Peavey Wolfgang in gold. I miss this one most, not really a looker but damn it sounded great and being a smaller guy, it just felt like home playing it, REALLY wish I still had that thing.

Latest posts