• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

What guitar do you most regret selling?

• Thread starter Clayton Custom Cabs
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stratofly59

Reaction score
I went thru the 'phase' of guitars.
1. I had a 1968 Gold Top Les Paul with humbuckings, loved it. I was attracted to it like Mary Ann and a Coconut cream pie standing in the surf! It had the classic LP tone and plugged it into a Marshall 50 watt. Why did I sell it... I had some vintage Gibsons and yet I played the '68 all the time.
2. In 1986 Fender did a re-issue of the of the '57 and '62 Strat. I found a '62 re-issue with the rosewood neck... it sounded and played well. I was in my Gibson Gold Top phase and for whatever reason (to this day my desire is for the simple '57 Sunburst w/ maple neck) it got very little play and got sold off.

Youth! Still waiting for Mary Ann and the Cream pie....

jmp45

Reaction score
59 Gibson TV. Got it for $70 in the 60s and sold it for $200 so I made out .. :rolleyes: I really needed that Showman cab..

68 or 69 Batwing SG w/Vibrola... Club owner stole it, found out 2 years later.. Don't take your eyes off your gear guys.. Grabby hands await.. :agreed:

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
There are only a couple / few that I regret parting with, but the one that has stung me the most was actually the 'cheapest' of the bunch ... it was either a 2006 or 2007 Gibson SG Faded in red. I've owned a hell of a lot of SG's over the years, and that one was by far and away my favorite. A classic case of you don't know what you've got until it's gone. I still keep my eyes out for an SG Faded that speaks to me.

Sapient

 
Reaction score
My 1996 GLP Standard. I sold it on eBay and the dude returned it because he didn't like it. I ended up doing a personal refinish on it and it's been my main player ever since. Seriously not kidding.

1I8E0126 -1.png

OOPSY!!

1I8E0123 -1.png

Yep, 1st attempt in the $hitter. :facepalm: I actually had to use a circular wire brush and drill motor to get the paint (tar) off the top. It looked so bad I almost put it in the trash since it was trash night and just a walk down the driveway. Seriously not kidding either.

I knew exactly what I did wrong and it wasn't going to happen again. Fast forward (many details in between - managed to get a little foggy VOS with even scratch lines in it as well.)

Second attempt ...

1I8E1660 -2.png

Last edited:

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
59 Gibson TV. Got it for $70 in the 60s and sold it for $200 so I made out .. :rolleyes: I really needed that Showman cab..

68 or 69 Batwing SG w/Vibrola... Club owner stole it, found out 2 years later.. Don't take your eyes off your gear guys.. Grabby hands await.. :agreed:

59 Gibson TV??? No :scream::scream::scream: I'm ashamed of you. Hope that Showman cab sounded good (guilt trip). :rofl:
See? you always regret it later. "Always."

Biddlin

In Memorandum
Reaction score
what guitar do you most regret selling.

My room mate's Harmony Rocket. He beat the tar out of me. But seriously I had a 1957 ES225TD that I had to sell to pay bills one Christmas. It was not a "great guitar" but it was a real good one for a guy to drag around to blues bars for 20+years. A younger guy asked me recently,"How did you play with just 20 frets for all those years?"

jmp45

Reaction score
My 1996 GLP Standard. I sold it on eBay and the dude returned it because he didn't like it. I ended up doing a personal refinish on it and it's been my main player ever since.

View attachment 72718

OOPSY!!

View attachment 72719

Yep, 1st attempt in the $hitter. :facepalm:

I knew exactly what I did wrong and it wasn't going to happen again. Fast forward (many details in between - managed to get a little foggy VOS with even scratch lines in it as well.)

Second attempt ...

View attachment 72721

I'm digging that plain top..

jmp45

Reaction score
59 Gibson TV??? No :scream::scream::scream: I'm ashamed of you. Hope that Showman cab sounded good (guilt trip). :rofl:
See? you always regret it later. "Always."

Oh you know it.. I'm pretty tight fisted with gear over the years, especially have the SG theft. That Gibson TV had some issues, broken headstock that I repaired and someone brush painted it white. I stripped down to the bare wood. Still though, that p90 was awesome.

Exotic

Reaction score
don't worry that he said mother fucker ,that just means he likes u .
so i sold this guitar right there ,but it's ok cuz i just got another one to replace it ,but i have spent like 17 years lamenting having sold it .

1X15 FUTURA (Mobile).jpg Ibanez1977futuramoderne (Mobile).jpg

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
"The one that got away".
Man, am I a sorry snapperhaed for trading that for a cheap used bass in my more ignorant days.

s-l1600.png

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive had a couple "unplugged" phases ......but maybe they're part of the reason Ive had a performance career...

My Lake Placid '59 Tele fell victim to my 1st unplugged phase,somewhere about 1985.I woulda been around 22 and still learning a LOT. I wouldn't mind having that body .But then again , that guitar didn't have to suffer thru any of my EVH inspired guitar science

The ONE I never got is actually the big regret.Thanksgv '79 we were livin in Ohio.I was 16.The parents made me come with 'em to Michigan to visit my mom's relatives. I just wanted to stay home n practice on my Magnum LP copy , but my dad is the REAL Jules Winnfield, so off I went

My mom had two sisters up there at the time...the one we stayed with (who's still with us) and the one we'd go visit . So Thanksgiving day we go to My Aunt Emma's house . There was all manner of eats laid out upstairs.
Downstairs ,was a bona fide juke joint . Tuck n roll upholstered bar mirrors n polka dots on the walls

I sat down there quietly while the elders drank n stuff. Then my cousin Sarah's husband asked, "Hey man, you want a guitar to play ? John , get your guitar out so he can play it "
So my Uncle gets this rectangular case out , sets it on a bench and .......AAAAAAAAHHHHHH
An Olympic white rosewood board Stratocaster , 62-64 by my guesstimation . He plugged in this 1x15 Univox tube amp ,and I was set . Within minutes ,my Aunt saw her chance and joined in on vocals . We had a 20-30 minute blues jam before some younger cousin shut us down .

So now my focus was gettin that guitar. The fam told me that John was a miserly sumbich though ,and he'd probably never get up off it . He had a killer boat just rottin' away in his driveway,wouldn't let his kids use it ...NEVER.
They were right . My parents tried , my Aunt Virginia ,who lived up there,tried. My family tried from 1980 to about 1984 to get that guy to sell me the guitar ,saying that I was the one actually gonna go someplace with it. Don't know what happened to it .John is long gone dead

GIBSON67

Reaction score
Plenty of amps to regret but only 1 guitar...the one my folks bought me when I first was starting.
It was an Epiphone acoustic, probably the next step up from the beginner. I ended up modifying it
with a steel nut I made(very poor job) and I eventually pawned it off. It would have been nice to keep.

I had a nice MIJ Reissue Strat from 80's that was really nice, but my Classic 50's is probably as good.
Of course, I still have my 1967 SG Special that I bought in 1987, so no guitar regrets, really.

CraigP

Reaction score
Memphis Les Paul ... I was an ignorant fool to sell it.

lespaul339

Reaction score
DSCI0005.jpg

Gibson Explorer in Classic White with ebony fretboard. I sold it because it had a twisted neck. But I still miss the guitar.