What Is Your Favorite Brand Of Guitars?

novafx4

Reaction score
I'm an old fart. Give me a Les Paul and a Marshall and I'm happy. Second choice would be a Telecaster plugged into a Fender amp. Two completely different sounds but they're both magical in their own way.

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
I can’t stand a painted neck. Just can’t do it.

Best guitar I ever had was a Kramer Nightswan, they’re rare as hens teeth these days and if you do see one for sale it’s hella expensive.

I’m using a Chinese charvel now, gonna pick up another soon. Those rolled fretboard edges make it feel like an old friend. It just makes me want to play it.

Bonus is that I can pick up 4 or more for less than the price of a les Paul.

chuckharmonjr

In Memorandum
Reaction score
About as far south in Alabama as you can go withou
Tell me more about the "Heart Attack Start " ?

5 years ago on a sunday afternoon, I went into the local Guitar Center for picks and such. They had a very nice tobacco burst Stratocaster on clearance, so I said what the hell and pulled the trigger. Got it home, set it up and she played like butter. I found myself in the emergency room the next morning and had emergency surgery. Five bypasses. Thus, I named her the 'Heart Attack Strat'.

justinrhoads80

Reaction score
When you take into consideration what Fender has going right now w/Fender / EVH / Charvel / Jackson, it's pretty tough for any other manufacturer to measure up at the moment. While I'd still like to add another SG to my lineup, most of my GAS / interest is in the Fender family of brands in current years. I'll consider other brands from time to time (meaning other than Fender or Gibson brands), but I lose interest pretty quick. As a quick example, we've got a daughter coming along in June, so I'm thinking of buying a new pink guitar (which i can eventually give to her) … just given it's a pretty specific color I'm going for, I've had to branch out into other manufacturers (i.e. ibanez) … there are a couple / few that look interesting, but I'm still really leaning toward the Charvel Pro Mod in Neon Pink. I think you just reach a point where you like what you like, and if you find a brand or two that gives it to you (for me it's Gibson & Fender brands), there's little reason to stray. Then again, there are plenty of guys here who own / play a variety of different brands, so that's certainly not a blanket statement (and i'll admit that there are brands i'm curious about but have never even picked up because i think they're ugly).

Agreed I like my Fender, Jackson, and Schecter. Schecter I feel is one of the select few brands out there right now that can amount to FMIC brands. The amount of bang for your buck that you get is LOVELY! Top quality stuff too!

chromeboy

Reaction score
I've never been a strat guy but have owned a couple. Gibsons are well, gibsons. Over priced these days but still good guitars. Les Pauls are nice but only if they are weight relieved otherwise they are just too dam heavy to play all night. I prefer lighter faster playing vuitars with slim tapered necks. Currently I have more ibbys than anything else. Jacksons are also one of my favs and I am hoping to pick one up this year. Esp are also guitars I like yet don' own yet. I ha e a dean schenker flames guitar that plays nice and is autographed by schenker when I was at a store meet and greet. Don't play it much cause I want to keep it mint. I don't really prefer any brand. It comes down to hiw a guitar feels in my hands and it plays.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Agreed I like my Fender, Jackson, and Schecter. Schecter I feel is one of the select few brands out there right now that can amount to FMIC brands. The amount of bang for your buck that you get is LOVELY! Top quality stuff too!

We're living in a golden age of guitar making right now (and have been for a number of years), and the amount of bang for the buck - even amongst the most entry level - is lightyears ahead of where it use to be.

justinrhoads80

Reaction score
We're living in a golden age of guitar making right now (and have been for a number of years), and the amount of bang for the buck - even amongst the most entry level - is lightyears ahead of where it use to be.

Agreed. I think Schecter and ESP/LTD are up there in that category!

The glory days of jackson where you could pickup a USA under $2000 new were gone after the 90's- early 2000's. I still think Jackson USA is the best! As for the price, I rather spend that on used gear instead of new.

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score

That's the bright side of a Les Paul costing $4,000 now I guess. Even non-Custom shop Strats are hitting the $2k price point now...

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
That's the bright side of a Les Paul costing $4,000 now I guess. Even non-Custom shop Strats are hitting the $2k price point now...

Yeah, if you've got the disposable income, then there are fantastic guitars available for you … and if you don't have the disposable income, there are still fantastic guitars available.

El Gringo

Reaction score
5 years ago on a sunday afternoon, I went into the local Guitar Center for picks and such. They had a very nice tobacco burst Stratocaster on clearance, so I said what the hell and pulled the trigger. Got it home, set it up and she played like butter. I found myself in the emergency room the next morning and had emergency surgery. Five bypasses. Thus, I named her the 'Heart Attack Strat'.
well I have to say that I fully understand where the name comes from .I hope you are doing better physically because my family has history with cardiac issues both on my fathers and mothers side .

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score

I gotta admit the sun valley super shredder is a lot of guitar for the buck.

Latest posts