What Music Are You Listening To Right Now ??

• Thread starter Red Solo Cup
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Tonight's listen...

I'm having so much fun digitizing my LP's I dug out one, I forgot about, many years ago. ..

1653451166017.png

High Voltage
Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
Powerage

The album covers are just printed on the liner sleeves. That picture of Angus is a fold out poster.

I guess it'll be an AC/DC night!

1653451301564.png

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
these were dirty. For the last few records, I've been high pressure washing them off, w/ warm water. Not real high pressure, but as high as the sprayer will douse them off. It's pretty good pressure though. Then, I'm applying a little Dawn soap & then wiping it around w/ a Magic Eraser™, then high pressuring it off to rinse... Then I wipe them dry w/ a microfiber towel & then a normal bath towel...

dragonvalve

Reaction score
these were dirty. For the last few records, I've been high pressure washing them off, w/ warm water. Not real high pressure, but as high as the sprayer will douse them off. It's pretty good pressure though. Then, I'm applying a little Dawn soap & then wiping it around w/ a Magic Eraser™, then high pressuring it off to rinse... Then I wipe them dry w/ a microfiber towel & then a normal bath towel...
Curious DOD what stylus are you using and turntable?

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Curious DOD what stylus are you using and turntable?
nothing special...

An old Kenwood turntable from the '80s (not sure actually - my brother scored it somewhere, back in the '80s - used) I haven't checked out the stylus, but, it's probably either a Shure, or Audio-Technica, as those are the only ones I used to see back then. Even Radio Shack was rebranding them...

I'm then running it through one of those Chinese tube pre-amps, & straight into my Zoom F6, recording at 192kHz/32bit & run the monitor out to my Scarlett 18i20 direct into my Yamaha studio monitors...

dragonvalve

Reaction score
nothing special...

An old Kenwood turntable from the '80s (not sure actually - my brother scored it somewhere, back in the '80s - used) I haven't checked out the stylus, but, it's probably either a Shure, or Audio-Technica, as those are the only ones I used to see back then. Even Radio Shack was rebranding them...

I'm then running it through one of those Chinese tube pre-amps, & straight into my Zoom F6, recording at 192kHz/32bit & run the monitor out to my Scarlett 18i20 direct into my Yamaha studio monitors...
Styluses wear out for one. It's been a while since I've run a turntable. I still have one. A better stylus will get a better response.

Do you find that in transferring from vinyl that the stereo pan seems to pull to one side? One side louder than the other?

just found this. It appears there's a technology now for vinyl to digital transfer.

https://www.turntableneedles.com/BL...Digital-Transfer-wElliptical-Stylus_p_25.html

1653500941102.jpeg

Last edited:

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Styluses wear out for one. It's been a while since I've run a turntable. I still have one. A better stylus will get a better response.

Do you find that in transferring from vinyl that the stereo pan seems to pull to one side? One side louder than the other?
not really, although, the Zoom has variable vol settings, for each side. I haven't been needle shopping in a long time. Seems like a few years back (around early 2000s) they were outrageously priced. Now, I see a bunch of generic ones for sale everywhere (cheap), but, IDK if I'd trust one of them...

dragonvalve

Reaction score
not really, although, the Zoom has variable vol settings, for each side. I haven't been needle shopping in a long time. Seems like a few years back (around early 2000s) they were outrageously priced. Now, I see a bunch of generic ones for sale everywhere (cheap), but, IDK if I'd trust one of them...

Yeah it's a world unto itself. Does your Chinese tube preamp have phono inputs?

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I just pulled it off. There's no branding, although it looks like an AT...

Like this, but beige:

1606990792-29788000.png

dragonvalve

Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I think it uses FET's to raise the gain...

IMG_0205 copy.jpg

this is the actual tube (pair) that came w/ it. I don't recognize it, so the GE's went right in...

For as cheap as this thing is, it works remarkably well.

The stock images used Shuguang tubes. The tube that comes w/ it, is like 2" long, & the GE tubes are short, shorter than a typical 12AX7.

dragonvalve

Reaction score
I think it uses FET's to raise the gain...

View attachment 108581

this is the actual tube (pair) that came w/ it. I don't recognize it, so the GE's went right in...

For as cheap as this thing is, it works remarkably well.

The stock images used Shuguang tubes. The tube that comes w/ it, is like 2" long, & the GE tubes are short, shorter than a typical 12AX7.
Did you at least try the tubes that came with? Sometimes circuits are designed around certain tubes.

I see a whole new genre of gear cropped up since the days of Radio Shack. Things got better and ridiculously cheaper.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Did you at least try the tubes that came with? Sometimes circuits are designed around certain tubes.

I see a whole new genre of gear cropped up since the days of Radio Shack. Things got better and ridiculously cheaper.
nah, I just threw the GE's in...

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score

just found this. It appears there's a technology now for vinyl to digital transfer.

https://www.turntableneedles.com/BL...Digital-Transfer-wElliptical-Stylus_p_25.html

View attachment 108574
funny, they say that, that's a replacement for the one I've got...

that looks more like mine, than the other one I posted above...

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
IDK if I necessarily trust when people say things are for digitizing, because, most of that stuff is made for mp3's...

Not all digital is equal.

dragonvalve

Reaction score
IDK if I necessarily trust when people say things are for digitizing, because, most of that stuff is made for mp3's...

Not all digital is equal.
Yes. I'm just getting reacquainted with turntables and transfer to digital so I don't know what's out there. I have some albums but don't think I'll be digitizing any of them.

Latest posts