What ODs Are You Guys Using in Front of Your Marshalls

• Thread starter tallcoolone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got two new pedals, same manufacturer, on the way. Hand-made. Can't wait to try them, then tell you guys what I think. I'll use them in front of two different SC20's (different power tube types), one JCM 2204, and one 1987x.

kungpow!

Reaction score
David Barber is a witch with OD—very well built and great sounding pedals! Had the Small Fry and Direct Drive—always wanted to try an LTD

Yeah, I have a Direct drive too. Sounds fine, but doesn't seem to fatten it up like this guy. I don't think it has the mids.

Yep, Barber is high quality and reasonably priced. More people should check em out

tallcoolone

Reaction score
Yeah, I have a Direct drive too. Sounds fine, but doesn't seem to fatten it up like this guy. I don't think it has the mids.

Yep, Barber is high quality and reasonably priced. More people should check em out
I'm not even sure which came first but I remember doing an a/b between an OCD and the Small Fry and they were pretty much identical

kysrsoze

Reaction score

Today I have been trying out these 4,

DEMONFX YJM308​

DEMONFX ZDRIVE​

DEMONFX R4​

DEMONFX ANGEL BLUE DRIVE
Based on the Timmy V2
I have the DemonFX Dual Gun, and it’s very good sounding. The clones these days are pretty remarkable.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
(Not in any order of importance.)

iu
iu

iu
iu

iu

WAH-LOCK-ORANGE-FRONT_1.jpg
<--- Badass!!:yesway:

I use these separately in front of my SC20H for different toneages.
My Mark Five:25 needs no overdrive pedals, for it is a micro-beast of great and mighty statures.

If you have a Marshall and a Mesa/Boogie Mark V, you can do ALL the things whatsoever that you shall need, forever and ever, Amen.

(Except it might be nice to add a Deluxe Reverb too. But after that, then yeah, definitely.)

Last edited:

tallcoolone

Reaction score
My Mark Five:25 needs no overdrive pedals, for it is a micro-beast of great and mighty statures.

If you have a Marshall and a Mesa/Boogie Mark V, you can do ALL the things whatsoever that you shall need, forever and ever, Amen.

(Except it might be nice to add a Deluxe Reverb too. But after that, then yeah, definitely.)
Well you need a Dumble type of course too. And an SLO at some point. My stoner side always wants an Orange. Nothing really sounds like a cranked Hiwatt…

tallcoolone

Reaction score
Gotta give props to the Griffin Analog Chiron Klone--been on my board for quite a while now. Sounds great in front of just about any Marshall

dryz41

Reaction score
i use boss od3 in front of my every marshall and i m really happy with it

MP+

Reaction score
True, so does venue, PA, crowd density, indoor/outdoor…that’s why I have 3 low gain ODs and a high headroom eq on the board, Regardless of the amp I bring I always want an OD in front to tighten things up—at least for my ‘lead’ tone—so I want choices.
Definitely. What sounds great in the music room at home doesn't always translate to an optimal tone at a venue, and like you say, that can change from venue to venue. This technology was probably to some extent stumbled upon back in the founding days of on stage distortion with really basic but immortal devices like the "Dallas Rangemaster". Being a simple treble booster, I'm sure the driving force behind the design was to get around muffling issues like long cabling from Amp. to guitar.

speyfly

Reaction score
Start with a clean EQ (mid boost imho) and add OD's as required. If your using a Origin, EQ in the loop OD's in the front.

Last edited:
Reactions: MP+

MP+

Reaction score
Start with a clean EQ (mid boost imho) and add OD's as required. If your using a Origin, EQ in the loop OD's in the front.
Good move, I agree, I think I mentioned earlier IMHO, start by getting your cabling sounding as close as possible to what you hear with just a good quality cable no longer than about 15 feet straight from guitar to Amp. input. This will require use of EQ pedals if using the effects loop. You can get most of your tone back with a quality EQ but some of it will go missing. I've used the Boss PQ4 in the past and I've yet to hear an EQ pedal that beats it.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
The Sd-1 is hard to beat great sound great price built like a tank.
It's just too much in front of a gainier amp for me. Great with a plexi or even a 2203 but my Friedmans, my Morris and my Colby have more gain so I need an OD/boost that is more subtle. Klon type pedals work well, even an EQ will do the job. Right now it's the Griffin Chiron, JRockett Archer Clean and the Thorpy Team Medic.

Scholly

Reaction score
I use a Savage Drive, since it goes completely clean when you turn the gain-pot all the way to the left.
That way it can stay all ways on, and even give the clean channel a nice little push without breaking it up.

And for the chugs it's just...well...savage :-3

Last edited:

PelliX

Reaction score
Most frequently used (and I don't use them too much), TS-9 (well, clone). I use it mostly as an EQ and clean boost, not really getting much dirt from it.

Next, a RAT. Nuff said on that, right.

If I need crazy high gain for a part, Metal Zone. I have the Metal Core, too, but I left it at my drummer's place to have fun with when I bought the Metal Zone. The MT-2 has more meat than the ML-2 and doesn't hide in a mix so much.

Big Muff Germanium 4 but only the Distortion side (it's a sort of double pedal, really). Light voltage drop dialed in just right gives you some nice grit on cleaner tones while also compressing the sound just a bit.

Of course the GE-7 isn't a dirt pedal, but we all know that EQ's make killer boosts when set that way.