What ODs Are You Guys Using in Front of Your Marshalls

• Thread starter tallcoolone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, that’s why I have over 2 dozen and I keep wanting more, like the Buxom @solarburn was mentioning.

I didn’t bond with The Dude myself but I love the other JRockett pedals I have. Prob my fave over the last 6mos is the Archer Clean—it bumped the Rockaway off my board and that was my fav the previous 6mos. Love the KoT—still waiting for my email to buy a real one so I’m using a King of Clone right now. Very cool pedal
You're why i got a J Rockett pedal.lol

The J Rockett JB Archer I specifically bought for the Origin 50 has been great. It needed some bottom clarity as it has a big, soft ass. Like a JTM. It made the whole amp voicing sound good. I still may end up with an Archer Clean. Clarity and articulation with the JB Archer, Tumnus Deluxe, Buxom Boost, and SD-1 is what i love about these low to mid gain pedals. I just need a little xtra wamp on my Marshall thwack.

Other day i used the JB Archer in front of the SC800. I havent liked pedals in front as it already has the Lynch Module boosting it. Been just right. Felt like a little "testing of the waters" using the JB and wow! Just a bit more sassy. Again a little can really pay off with these pedals. And the amp still sounds/feels like a Marshall. I like my 800 stringy and mean.

jeffb

Reaction score
Friedman_SmallBoxPedal_top.png.webp

DirtyShirley_top.png.webp

Mike_LA

Reaction score
Can't get my mind away from the notion that alllll of those pedals just boost a different EQ curve. It's all just frequencies, I think I've got them all with this...
20230214_112456.jpg

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have and love the amps, I wonder how the respective pedals pair?
Be redundant.

Now if you don't have the amp? The Smallbox pedal is awesome. That was my first Friedman pedal. Never played the DS though. Or any of his others.(exlcluding BB)

tallcoolone

Reaction score
What I get after reading this whole thread is that just about anything works! :lol:
Pretty much. Can't say that about the Mesas, Oranges or Dumble types I've had--Marshalls are kind of unique there

And damn, you read this whole thread? I just looked at how big it is lol. Hopefully you bought a pedal or two along the way

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't get my mind away from the notion that alllll of those pedals just boost a different EQ curve. It's all just frequencies, I think I've got them all with this...
View attachment 144261
These are a bit noisy. I used one for rhythm sculpting and one in loop for solo boosting/tuning. Gigged with them. They held up fine too. This was years ago.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty much. Can't say that about the Mesas, Oranges or Dumble types I've had--Marshalls are kind of unique there

And damn, you read this whole thread? I just looked at how big it is lol. Hopefully you bought a pedal or two along the way

I didn't mean that I just now read the whole thread, I've been keeping up with it since the start. I should have said "following" so I fixed it. I stand by my Freidman Buxom boost and MXR Classic OD.

NumbSkull

Reaction score
What I get after following this whole thread is that just about anything works! :lol:
I think there is a lot of selection bias here.
People on the forum will know more than average about gear so wont get bad pedals.
People buy what they like so will usually like what they buy.
People will post about what they like and what they use.
The title of the thread is what are you using, maybe we need a what bad overdrives dont you use thread.

There are a few pedals I have bought that I am too embarrassed to mention,
forget I said that.

jeffb

Reaction score
I have and love the amps, I wonder how the respective pedals pair?
If I had the amps, I definitely wouldn't bother with the pedals...now possibly running them as opposites might be fun...DS pedal into a SB amp, and vice versa. The pedals sound very different from one another, though they both have " the Friedman tone".

jeffb

Reaction score
I think there is a lot of selection bias here.
People on the forum will know more than average about gear so wont get bad pedals.
Heh...Ive bought wayyyyy more gain pedals that I thought sounded like garbage than pedals that I felt sound very good. Everything sounds good in the music store at low volumes.

Conversely, I've been able to gel with many pedals that most people hate...(DS1 types, frex).

Edge O. breakup

Reaction score
I use a Catalinbread RAH, a Vertex TDrive (I know I know), and a fantastic pedal by JRR pedals out of Ca. called Janice. It is basically like a Tim pedal, but built on veranum’s Jan Ray circuit. More bass than one could ever need, and nice attenuation of treble frequencies. Cheap too! The boost is not independent, so I use it to kick in chorus or solos. If Eric from JRR sees this, I tried to attach a photo but it is too large.

kungpow!

Reaction score
Pulled this one out of storage, and it sounds nice into the sc20h. I like the midrange knob around 11 to noon and tone rolled back. 2 channels set for extra crunch and howling. Really sounds fat!
Compress_20240119_104046_6682.jpg

tallcoolone

Reaction score
Pulled this one out of storage, and it sounds nice into the sc20h. I like the midrange knob around 11 to noon and tone rolled back. 2 channels set for extra crunch and howling. Really sounds fat!
View attachment 144556
David Barber is a witch with OD—very well built and great sounding pedals! Had the Small Fry and Direct Drive—always wanted to try an LTD