What ODs Are You Guys Using in Front of Your Marshalls

• Thread starter tallcoolone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dslman

Reaction score
SD-1, FOX-OD ,which is a dual pedal,handbuilt by Z-FX. It's a TIMMY clone, and a Bluesbreaker clone .Amazing pedal which I wonder if he is still making pedals as I don't see him offering them anymore, sadly. I also have his 808 clone called Turtle Overdrive. Each pedal has great qualities, and they kicked the MXR M77 off my board, which is no slouch.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
Got a Mesa Cleo for Xmas from my bro in law. Nothing groundbreaking but a good well built low/mid gain boost.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a Mesa Cleo for Xmas from my bro in law. Nothing groundbreaking but a good well built low/mid gain boost.
Ive never heard of this one. I'll check it out for shitz and giggles. Ive got time to browse.lol

Speaking of low mid gain boosts, which im fond of, put the Buxom boost in front of the big plexi and oh my my. Such clarity and dynamics. Sings man and the saturation with thump/clarity really serves a plexi up proper.

Last edited:

tallcoolone

Reaction score
Speaking of low mid gain boosts, which im fond of, put the Buxom boost in front of the big plexi and oh my my. Such clarity and dynamics. Sings man and the saturation with thump/clarity really serves a plexi up proper.
That one is def on my list. I’ve actually never tried any Friedman pedal

Kuga

Reaction score
I can't say just one. There are many variables. I mean depends on wich amp and what sound I want. Usually I don't use pedals in front the LM6100, TSL100, Astoria Custom, JCM900 SLX, VM2466, JVM1H and JVMHJS but I use on the FXLOOP. I use a Sonic Cake Twiggy Blues on them. I love this cheap multieffect bar.

The core of Sonicake Twiggy Blues is the overdrive part. We all love those vintage tone from Tube Screamer and Boss Blues Driver. That's basically the go-to overdrives for musicians thru out the world. And we take the inspiration from those classics and put a lil ' some new twist into it. The EQ curve is more focused on the high mids, making sure that your solo is gonna cut thru. The tonal characters are just like when you push an old tube amp over its edge. So vintage, so raw, so full of attitude.

The Reverb & Delay
To make it quick and simple, and avoid using those confusing words like "luscious", "natural", let's put it this way: the reverb module can expand your tone from a small room to a big concert hall; The delay is analog-voicing. They both run on digital algorithms, but they sound analog. Find any YouTube demo of Twiggy, you'll know what I'm talking about.

It has compressor but I use to mute all signal. As his speaker simulator that I don't use.

Then I use DIY OD pedals on the 2555X, JCM900 DR, JCM900 MKIII and the JTM45.
DIY RAT, DIY tubescreamer switchable TS9 to TS808, DIY Marshall Guv'nor and a lovely DIY moded Distmax from Musikding.

Lately I'm having a lot of fun with the JTM45 using the Distmax and the Sonic Cake OD at the same time. Brutal higain. Just using these two pedals it's enought for my needs.

Mats A

Reaction score
If i use an OD i use the Majik Box Rocket Fuel. Overdrive and Clean Boost in one pedal. I also use a Dunlop Echoplex Preamp for a clean boost.

Tangle001

Reaction score
Thought about this when reading the Tubescreamer thread...I love dirt boxes in front of all—but especially Marshall amps. Bought and sold dozens and dozens of them and I think still have at least a dozen lying around. Love to hear experiences of others...here is what I have at the moment

Maxon OD820—honeymoon period but I love this guy. Like the TS9 but more treble, more headroom...just BIGGER. Also physically larger so keep in mind
Timmy—love this, got replaced by the new Maxon OD820 but will be back. The original ‘transparent’ od
TS9–benchmark mid hump od best run low in front of an already overdriven amp
Secret Preamp—my ‘always on’ pedal at the end of the board. Not really an od, more of a compressor? I dunno—try one out, you’ll thank me.
SoloDallas Storm—like the SP, more of a compressor/boost than an OD but where the SP is subtle the Storm is like a cock punch. Tons of boost on tap and something else that changes your tone more drastically than the SP.
Archer Ikon—best ‘Klone’/Klon Cline I’ve tried. Pretty unique—not a ton of boost but I really liked it run like a TS—low gain, tone up. Great in front of my SC20 when it’s breathing a bit
Naga Viper treble booster—Rangemaster circuit apparently? Sounds ‘Sabbath-y’ to me in front of my Marshalls. I like a lot of high end to my tone and this is lacking a bit in that Dept
Tone Job EQ/booster—replaced the Detox as my ‘clean channel’ pedal. Set low it works just like your guitar volume the way it cleans up your tone. But better and actually tweakable
OCD—if I were going to a gig not knowing what I was going to have as a backline I’d bring the OCD. At home in front of anything really—played a hard rock gig once with a 100w Hiwatt in a small room and only an OCD and a wah
HM-2 baby. I don't at all use the prescribed 11-11-11-11 setting that is always talked about for the HM-2. I was given one by a metal head back in '84. Eventually settled on a distortion setting of .02 or .03 gives a very expressive setup and sound that is not really found too many other places.

Lizardblood

Reaction score
I use the boost setting of an FZ2 and just roll the volume on the guitar for clean or filthy

Burk

Reaction score
Thought about this when reading the Tubescreamer thread...I love dirt boxes in front of all—but especially Marshall amps. Bought and sold dozens and dozens of them and I think still have at least a dozen lying around. Love to hear experiences of others...here is what I have at the moment

Maxon OD820—honeymoon period but I love this guy. Like the TS9 but more treble, more headroom...just BIGGER. Also physically larger so keep in mind
Timmy—love this, got replaced by the new Maxon OD820 but will be back. The original ‘transparent’ od
Secret Preamp—my ‘always on’ pedal at the end of the board. Not really an od, more of a compressor? I dunno—try one out, you’ll thank me.
SoloDallas Storm—like the SP, more of a compressor/boost than an OD but where the SP is subtle the Storm is like a cock punch. Tons of boost on tap and something else that changes your tone more drastically than the SP.
Archer Ikon—best ‘Klone’/Klon Cline I’ve tried. Pretty unique—not a ton of boost but I really liked it run like a TS—low gain, tone up. Great in front of my SC20 when it’s breathing a bit
Naga Viper treble booster—Rangemaster circuit apparently? Sounds ‘Sabbath-y’ to me in front of my Marshalls. I like a lot of high end to my tone and this is lacking a bit in that Dept
Tone Job EQ/booster—replaced the Detox as my ‘clean channel’ pedal. Set low it works just like your guitar volume the way it cleans up your tone. But better and actually tweakable
OCD—if I were going to a gig not knowing what I was going to have as a backline I’d bring the OCD. At home in front of anything really—played a hard rock gig once with a 100w Hiwatt in a small room and only an OCD and a wah
Waza SD-1, Menatone Red Snapper, Menatone Blue Collar overdrive, Mythos (klon clone) OD

nachoworld

Reaction score
I currently use the Nux Cerberus to which I add the Carl Martin Hot Driven Boost MK3 and I love their sound on the JCM900 EL34 Marshall's clean channel and how they blend together. I recommend the Carl Martin without a doubt.

minatour87

Reaction score
Purple Plex 800 clone, COT clone, MXR Full Bore Metal, EH Metal Muff, EH little big Muff (turn down the gain unique distortion)

unicorna

Reaction score

A big muff with Marshall Major, DSL, TSL, MA , Origen and 9000 series power amp and preamp. Very pleasing to the ear. The MA and Origen are 50 watters, about my smallest amps except for the Vox AC30. I don't like to much distortion and what I can dial in on the Big Muff is great, to my ears anyway lol.

Last edited:

johndarm

Reaction score
Faithful 82 OD-1. Other than that, a GE-7 pushes it pretty hard as well.

Reaction score
On my plexi I use a Fat sugar and I might push that with a Maxon OD808. For my JCM800 I’ll either use the Fat Sugar or SD1.

But sometimes I’ll use a Wampler equator in the Plexi. I’ll sweep the frequencies until I find the max gain.

Wee Jock

Reaction score