What pedal to get?

• Thread starter spiro2903
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spiro2903

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking into getting a pedal for a Marshall sound. Ideally I'd like to get tones from AC/DC Back in Black to Gary Moore Still got the blues. That is probably quite a stretch, but if I am in a ballpark I'd be happy.
Unfortunately there are not that many guitar stores around me and poor pedal choice, so I will have to order online. That is why youtube and this forum :)

Currently I am thinking between:

* Wampler Plexi drive deluxe
Great for AC/DC type tones, 3 band eq. Not sure if I need the boost side as I already have a TS type pedal. I looked at the mini, bt it doesn't have the 3 band eq which I'd really like. Although Gary Moore used a guv'nor, this with a TS type pedal might get me into GM teritory.

* Bogner la grange
Great reviews. The downside is that it doesn't have 3 band eq but with the blend knob, and lots of toggles, it looks like it could be more than usable. Clean boost is also a bonus. But there have been posts that it has noise issues, and in one video I can really hear 60 cycle hum even though the video is positive regards to the pedal.

* Weehbo Plexface
Again great reviews, but no 3 band eq, just "amp" toggle and mid shape toggle. Still, with blackface part it is very versatile.
As I understand it (and I might not :)) Gary Moore used an JTM45 with guv'nor dimed. And as JTM45 is somewhat based on Fender and more rounded than JCM this combination should get me in the ballpark.

* Weehbo JCM drive / JCM drive ltd
Same as plexface, but without blackface side, and with 3 band eq and lots of tone shaping options.

* Friedman BE-OD Deluxe
This is maybe the least vintage marshall sounding pedal, and probably the most expensive. But the blue channel sounds very nice, the green one sounds too modern and high gain. With eq it might be made to work, but my least favourite of these, and the most expensive.

I am pluging into ac15c1.
I've looked at a few other pedals (Catalinbread DLS, Box of rock, JHS,...), but from the videos (unfortunately) these are my favourites.
If anyone has experience with these, any advice is greatly appreciated.
Tnx

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking into getting a pedal for a Marshall sound. Ideally I'd like to get tones from AC/DC Back in Black to Gary Moore Still got the blues. That is probably quite a stretch, but if I am in a ballpark I'd be happy.
Unfortunately there are not that many guitar stores around me and poor pedal choice, so I will have to order online. That is why youtube and this forum :)

Great for AC/DC type tones, 3 band eq. Not sure if I need the boost side as I already have a TS type pedal. I looked at the mini, bt it doesn't have the 3 band eq which I'd really like. Although Gary Moore used a guv'nor, this with a TS type pedal might get me into GM teritory.

* Bogner la grange
Great reviews. The downside is that it doesn't have 3 band eq but with the blend knob, and lots of toggles, it looks like it could be more than usable. Clean boost is also a bonus. But there have been posts that it has noise issues, and in one video I can really hear 60 cycle hum even though the video is positive regards to the pedal.

* Weehbo Plexface
Again great reviews, but no 3 band eq, just "amp" toggle and mid shape toggle. Still, with blackface part it is very versatile.
As I understand it (and I might not :)) Gary Moore used an JTM45 with guv'nor dimed. And as JTM45 is somewhat based on Fender and more rounded than JCM this combination should get me in the ballpark.

Same as plexface, but without blackface side, and with 3 band eq and lots of tone shaping options.

* Friedman BE-OD Deluxe
This is maybe the least vintage marshall sounding pedal, and probably the most expensive. But the blue channel sounds very nice, the green one sounds too modern and high gain. With eq it might be made to work, but my least favourite of these, and the most expensive.

I've looked at a few other pedals (Catalinbread DLS, Box of rock, JHS,...), but from the videos (unfortunately) these are my favourites.
Tnx
:welcome: to the Marshall Forum.
Have you considered getting a Marshall amp for that Marshall sound? :D

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you :dude:

I have considered it, however, I REALLLY love my amp, and occasionally I'll play something from the marshall camp. So it would be nice to have a pedal for that. And I figured marshall forum might be the best place to ask.

Also consider wife, space, money and neighbors :(
I don't have a Vox, or any of those pedals on your list.
But I've heard good things about the NUX Plexi Crunch pedal.
$50 might get you close.
For the money & space, I'd recommend an O20C & SD-1.
You're on your own with the wife & neighbors...

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hi,

* Bogner la grange

* Weehbo Plexface

* Friedman BE-OD Deluxe

Tnx
Fulltone OCD

Dave_11

Reaction score
I got a RambleFX Marvel Drive a couple of weeks ago, and holy cow this thing is amazing! With the high treble and normal gain controls you can dial in just about any tone you want. I have a Fulltone OCD and the Marvel Drive sounds a LOT more old-school Marshall-y to my ear. Take that for what it's worth though - my only Marshall is my Lead 12, and I'm mainly going by what I hear on recordings and youtube. But still, wow, that MD is exactly what I always thought a marshall-in-a-box should sound like.

Old Punker

Reaction score
:welcome: to the Marshall Forum!

As some have pointed out, there are pedals that can get you a usable Marshall tone.

But I have to 100% agree with @fitz288, @Ken Ops and @MarshallDog on the recommendation to get a real Marshall amp, because that is the only way to get the real Marshall tone.

I was in a similar position as you 1.5 years ago, where I was very happy with the amps and pedals I already had but I still couldn't get a convincing Marshall tone. I checked out the price of a JCM 800 reissue and almost had a heart attack. But then I found out about the then new Marshall SC20H, the 20W studio version of the JCM 800. I got one and I've been very happy ever since. :D

But you don't have to spend that much money to get the Marshall tone. I just happened to be focused on the JCM 800 because it is my favorite Marshall amp. I have heard a lot of recordings using the DSL20 and it sounds great, is really versatile, has 2 channels, and only costs around USD $650 for the head (new), or around $450 used. There are also used DSL-1 (1 Watt) heads cheaper than that. IMO these are all much better options than a digital pedal.

:cheers:

MarshallDog

Reaction score
:welcome: to the Marshall Forum!

As some have pointed out, there are pedals that can get you a usable Marshall tone.

But I have to 100% agree with @fitz288, @Ken Ops and @MarshallDog on the recommendation to get a real Marshall amp, because that is the only way to get the real Marshall tone.

I was in a similar position as you 1.5 years ago, where I was very happy with the amps and pedals I already had but I still couldn't get a convincing Marshall tone. I checked out the price of a JCM 800 reissue and almost had a heart attack. But then I found out about the then new Marshall SC20H, the 20W studio version of the JCM 800. I got one and I've been very happy ever since. :D

But you don't have to spend that much money to get the Marshall tone. I just happened to be focused on the JCM 800 because it is my favorite Marshall amp. I have heard a lot of recordings using the DSL20 and it sounds great, is really versatile, has 2 channels, and only costs around USD $650 for the head (new), or around $450 used. There are also used DSL-1 (1 Watt) heads cheaper than that. IMO these are all much better options than a digital pedal.

:cheers:
Well said!

spiro2903

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome and the replies. I was looking into getting a second hand Marshall, but there are a few issues:
1. I reaaaaaly have very little space. My amp and pedalboard are in my living room, and with 2 kids, a dog and 2 cats it is already cramped.
2. Money isn't super tight right now, but it would still be hard to justify why I need one more amp when I am a room guitarist, and just play for my own pleasure and stress relief :) And even then, I don't play as much as I would like to.
3. I was looking into Origin and Studio 20C, but I feel like to get that nice Marshall medium gain crunch for AC/DC I would need to crank the amp, and for Gary Moore I would still need some pedal in front of it (Although some TS might work for that). And they do cost a lot more than a pedal :(
4. I was also looking into modeling amps, I have a cheap one the size of a toaster which I use when we go camping, and it doubles as a bluetooth speaker (the reason I was allowed to have it :D). But to get a GOOD Marshall sound I would spend as much as a real amp and it wouldn't be small.
5. That leaves me with 2 options: DSL5c which doesn't really sound like a vintage Marshall, and Origin 5c. From the youtube videos it doesn't sound bad, but I am worried about that 8'' speaker lacking bass and punch in the room. I would still need some pedal in front, but again, some TS style should work.

I guess along with the pedals Origin 5c might be an option. Has anyone played it in a room, how would it be for AC/DC, Gary Moore?

I didn't really like the tone of Catalinbread DLS, and Wampler pinnacle seems too much gain? Maybe it's just that in the videos they use it as a gainer pedal, but if I am going Wampler I might as well get the plexi drive dlx.
I had Marshall GV2 (guv'nor 2?) but I didn't really like it. Just couldn't set it up to sound good, and it always felt like it lacked high end and presence. Original Guv'nor sounds much better but is also a lot more expensive than any pedals I listed.
EHX glove sounds OK but not nearly as versatile as other pedals. Great price though!
Tnx for the Rumble fx Marvel drive recommendation. Very good pedal, might be an option.

spiro2903

Reaction score
@V-man Great news! Didn't know that. I always wondered why they never reissued the guv'nor seeing how they reissue everything else 🤭 I might be willing to wait for the reissue then. Hopefully it won't be an arm and a leg. Do you have any info/page announcing that?

@ricksdisconnected I have an AC15. I know it will never be a Marshall, but I like the sound of it and I am looking for that 10-20% of the time when I want more "marshally?" sound.