What pedal to get?

• Thread starter spiro2903
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

msgdp

Reaction score
Tsakalis Room #40 - wow is this thing good! Check out Pete Thorn demoing this on YouTube.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
Tsakalis Room #40 - wow is this thing good! Check out Pete Thorn demoing this on YouTube.
Pete Thorn could make a half empty can of beer with bees in it sound amazing.

I got a Mad Professor "1" pedal because of his review. It didn't sound anything like him. Good pedal though.

Every demo I have heard of the Tsakalis Room #40 does sound good though!

Fil

Reaction score
I vote for the Wampler Plexi drive deluxe. I have one as I can't afford a real plexi, but I want that sound. I love it. It is very tunable, meaning you can get where you want to be with a little patience and time with it's settings. And believe me, it won't take long to find a great tone on it. I have a SC20h and a TSL60 and the Wampler is a different animal. Try it out. Hell, buy it at Guitard Center and if you don't like it, take it back. They have a 30 day return policy still don't they? My 2 cents.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
I vote for the Wampler Plexi drive deluxe. I have one as I can't afford a real plexi, but I want that sound. I love it. It is very tunable, meaning you can get where you want to be with a little patience and time with it's settings. And believe me, it won't take long to find a great tone on it. I have a SC20h and a TSL60 and the Wampler is a different animal. Try it out. Hell, buy it at Guitard Center and if you don't like it, take it back. They have a 30 day return policy still don't they? My 2 cents.
its damn hard to go wrong with a Wampler anything.

Jeremy Acker

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking into getting a pedal for a Marshall sound. Ideally I'd like to get tones from AC/DC Back in Black to Gary Moore Still got the blues. That is probably quite a stretch, but if I am in a ballpark I'd be happy.
Unfortunately there are not that many guitar stores around me and poor pedal choice, so I will have to order online. That is why youtube and this forum :)

Currently I am thinking between:

* Wampler Plexi drive deluxe
Great for AC/DC type tones, 3 band eq. Not sure if I need the boost side as I already have a TS type pedal. I looked at the mini, bt it doesn't have the 3 band eq which I'd really like. Although Gary Moore used a guv'nor, this with a TS type pedal might get me into GM teritory.

* Bogner la grange
Great reviews. The downside is that it doesn't have 3 band eq but with the blend knob, and lots of toggles, it looks like it could be more than usable. Clean boost is also a bonus. But there have been posts that it has noise issues, and in one video I can really hear 60 cycle hum even though the video is positive regards to the pedal.

* Weehbo Plexface
Again great reviews, but no 3 band eq, just "amp" toggle and mid shape toggle. Still, with blackface part it is very versatile.
As I understand it (and I might not :)) Gary Moore used an JTM45 with guv'nor dimed. And as JTM45 is somewhat based on Fender and more rounded than JCM this combination should get me in the ballpark.

* Weehbo JCM drive / JCM drive ltd
Same as plexface, but without blackface side, and with 3 band eq and lots of tone shaping options.

* Friedman BE-OD Deluxe
This is maybe the least vintage marshall sounding pedal, and probably the most expensive. But the blue channel sounds very nice, the green one sounds too modern and high gain. With eq it might be made to work, but my least favourite of these, and the most expensive.

I am pluging into ac15c1.
I've looked at a few other pedals (Catalinbread DLS, Box of rock, JHS,...), but from the videos (unfortunately) these are my favourites.
If anyone has experience with these, any advice is greatly appreciated.
Tnx
I’d get the GMR Spares “Little Plexi”. You can also buy their kit and build one yourself. Super simple and sounds great!

Moony

Reaction score
I own a lot of MIAB pedals.

For me the best allrounders are probably:

Friedman Smallbox Pedal
MI Audio Super Crunch Box V2 (I like it better than the JHS Angry Charlie V3 and the JHS AT)
LPD Pedals Seventy4

Wampler Plexi Drive and Pinnacle Deluxe V2 are also solid choices.

spiro2903

Reaction score
After listening to another few hours of youtube videos this is the current standing:

1. Tsakalis Room #40
Thomann has these. Not the cheapest, but the price is OK.

2. Colombo Plexi Breed
I could order directly from them, and they are not that far away. Just wished it had a 3 band EQ, but it might not need it.

3. Weehbo
Not sure which one I like best Plexface or JCM drive ltd.
@SlyStrat Have you played both? Which would you say is better for AC/DC Back in black to Gary Moore Still got the blues?

4. Wampler plexi drive dlx
Can't really go wrong with Wampler, and to be honest from the videos the differences of all of these pedals are not that big. Just setting the amp slightly differently would offset any differences, and they are all played through different amps. Not until I plugged all 4 into my amp would I hear the real difference, and even then I assume I could set the pedals to sound close.

This is what it sounds like to me just from listening the demos and not actually (unfortunately) playing the pedals.

And Wilson Sparkling Blue, wow, it just begs to play Gary Moore with it. At some point it might be nice to have this as well 🤦‍♂️

Moony

Reaction score
1. Tsakalis Room #40
Thomann has these. Not the cheapest, but the price is OK.

I had the chance to get one in new condition at a very good price from a guy who had it and from whom I've already bought some other pedals.
When he put it up for sale he advised me not to get it as he really didn't like it. I was a bit surprised as I also thought it sounded quite good in the videos - but I trust his honest opinion (he's a pro player).
He basically said that it was not that easy to get a good sound out of it and he was fiddeling with the knobs more than with other pedals he preferred.
I don't want to bash that pedal - it's just another single opinion but probably worth thinking about.

spiro2903

Reaction score
So, I had high fever (40 deg) and a dry cough. Fortunately, just a flu.
I had some spare time yesterday so I narrowed it down to:
* Tsakalis room #40
Great harmonics and I love the two channel blend and Variac control. Really helps you get even more or school tones. Also nice graphics.
* Weehbo jcm drive
Unfortunately ltd version was only 100 pedals and that was sold out. It sounds like it's 3 band EQ has more range. I assume it is active where on tsakalis it is passive (i think). It has toggle for different voltages similar to tsakalis variac control but just 2 settings. But it lacks channel blend and it sounds marginally dryer (for lack of a better word) than tsakalis. Like it misses some harmonics. Not sure if it's just the way videos were recorded. Also it looks like it's only available in blue 😅 That probably shouldn't matter but when pedals are that close I'd like it to look good too.

Colombo sounds really great but for it to fully shine i would need 18v supply, and currently i only have 9-12V isolated power supply. To bad they didn't include voltage doubler in the pedal. Not as good EQ as the others and the knobs look kinda cheap and out of place with the rest of the pedal. It's actually the cheapest of the lot. I'm not a pedal maker but it seems if they did those 2 things the pedal would be much better and still less expensive than others.

I'll probably decide by the end of the week and let you know what pedal is coming 😁

Moony

Reaction score
You can make almost every pedal sound good in a Youtube clip.
But if you play it by yourself that's a whole other story.

Like I've said I've got a lot of MIAB pedals here - some sound very similar or at least you can tweak them to sound very similar - BUT some of them feel very different.
I'm convinced that it also matters to a certain extent how the gain is archieved, fe. a Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe feels quite different than a Friedman BE-OD or a MXR 5150 OD.

If you like JCM800 tones I'd take a look at the LPD Eighty7.
That's what RJ Ronquillo uses for hi-gain on his live board and on his studio board (he got two of them).
The MI Audio Super Crunch Box V2 is also a very good one - though it gets harder to find (I'm not sure what's going on with MI, people say he stopped production...).

Of course it's all a matter of taste and you can buy what you think suits your style of playing the best.
I just wouldn't go only after Youtube videos if that makes sense.

Matopotato

Reaction score
So, I had high fever (40 deg) and a dry cough. Fortunately, just a flu.
I had some spare time yesterday so I narrowed it down to:
* Tsakalis room #40
Great harmonics and I love the two channel blend and Variac control. Really helps you get even more or school tones. Also nice graphics.
* Weehbo jcm drive
Unfortunately ltd version was only 100 pedals and that was sold out. It sounds like it's 3 band EQ has more range. I assume it is active where on tsakalis it is passive (i think). It has toggle for different voltages similar to tsakalis variac control but just 2 settings. But it lacks channel blend and it sounds marginally dryer (for lack of a better word) than tsakalis. Like it misses some harmonics. Not sure if it's just the way videos were recorded. Also it looks like it's only available in blue 😅 That probably shouldn't matter but when pedals are that close I'd like it to look good too.

Colombo sounds really great but for it to fully shine i would need 18v supply, and currently i only have 9-12V isolated power supply. To bad they didn't include voltage doubler in the pedal. Not as good EQ as the others and the knobs look kinda cheap and out of place with the rest of the pedal. It's actually the cheapest of the lot. I'm not a pedal maker but it seems if they did those 2 things the pedal would be much better and still less expensive than others.

I'll probably decide by the end of the week and let you know what pedal is coming 😁
Happy you are getting better!
As a GASer I sense between the lines and your reasoning that you already made up your mind and will go for the https://tinyurl.com/4nfwmv8b . (Try not to click until you decide...)
Myself I know when my inner discussion is aimed at justifying rather than being "objective". I sometimes even throw in more contenders to make it seem like an open and fair contest, when at heart I have already decided.
IF you are able to get both or all three from a company that will take returns with no extra cost, then get them all to try out and keep the one that sounds best. Once at that stage at least my senses help me select instead of playing tricks. In Europe several companies offer free or cheap returns within 14 days. No questions asked.