What's Your Favorite Wah?

• Thread starter speyfly
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sg-ocaster

Reaction score
My Favorite Wah: My father's 1968 Vox Clyde McCoy he bought new , then bastardized for true bypass by me via his request a few years ago.
I have a USA Vox V847 I bought in 1999 or so, with a few mods that gets in the ball park but still aint the real deal. Tried Crybabys and the sweep is not the same...I think they are more suited to hi gain settings. Dont Like the Morley thing. Never tried an RMC( like to some time). Tried a Thomas Organ Crybaby dont see what the fuss is about either.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
Dunlop has a Wah rack module - DCR-2SR

I have seen this on a few rigs of some artists we all know well.

At first, it seems like a glorified EQ pedal that can manage multiple Wahs, but it also has range and Q controls.

It seems this can work with any Wah pedal. So it seems this unit can work with your Wah to shape it into your own customized Wah tone.

I have noticed also some people recommending pedals with Q control.

My first Wah was a Cry Baby, but I didn't enjoy it because it had too much tone suck for what I needed, so I got the Dunlop CAE with Q trim adjustments and have been coming to terms with that since. It gets me there. The last wah I got was a VOX V847-A—also a bit of a tone suck. I got it because it is popular with several rigs, such as Hendrix and many others, so if you chase their tones, then tone suck and all goes with the territory because of the Wahs they used.

I can understand why some people want to avoid wahs, but also some stuff just isn't happening without them, especially lead solos.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well out of a Cry Baby, Vox, Budda wah, Jerry Cantrell, Zakk Wylde and Mark Tremonti wah, I find I like the JC wah for anything hard rock and under and the MT for anything high gain.

Still though? There are more I'd like to try but I'm stuffing cabs with speakers right now. :agreed:

I love a good ole wah thread!!! This is the JC version I've got.

Mark Tremonti wah

Last edited:

neikeel

Reaction score
I've got an 80s Jen Wah that I've had since 1982.

Never had the need to replace it although I did have to replace the pot and Stu Castledine converted it to true bypass many years ago, although I could do it myself now!

Probably many better fancier ones but I may only use it once or maybe twice a night in a gig.

myklomaniac

Reaction score
Started in around 1979 with a mid 70s Morley fuzz wah. Still the gnarliest sounding. But very big for a board and huge AC cable.

uoo0gvko8uxfkobx4tee.jpg

I went to a newer series Morley Distortion wah then finally a Mini Morley. Less real estate on board.

lg_333802.jpg

But, eventually I wanted something even smaller for my small board with a more convenient On Off switch.

Hate to admit the cheap Mooer wah is it. Very small, On Off with the pedal, has a variable Q AND minimum volume setting when used as a volume pedal. Seems to have more throw in a better range than the Morley. So I have one on the big board now too and I am not a cheapskate, I will pay for quality.
Go figure.

I still have all these wahs.

vt8z22itfgdhatebiuxz.jpg
I started with a Cry Baby back in the mid '70s, and still have the last one I bought around 1985, but I definitely considered the Morley pedals when replacing it. I returned to Dunlop for the same reasons you mentioned. Too big and clunky. I recently replaced the '80s unit again with another Cry Baby with the Fasel inductor. It's OK, but I don't use it all that much unless I'm hacking away at some ancient riff that used it. My original was 9V battery powered only. PITA, so I cut a slot in the base with a hacksaw, pulled the + - battery connector out through it, soldered another battery connector to the lead on a 9V brick power supply I had lying around, and no more dead batteries. 120VAC to 9VDC power supply.

Last edited:

Kutt

Reaction score
I got a John Petrucci wah a couple years ago and aside from only turning down the internal Volume control it's voiced stock. I mention it because I think the EQ controls (below) are ingenious to have onboard. I haven't taken the time to tweak them as it could turn into a never ending tone chase.

1688071881056.png

1688072036373.png

Dirty-D

Reaction score
Late 70's Morley Power Wah Boost. I own several and now l went power cord- less with a pedaltrain volto so using a Lynch Dragon wah lately😔

RCM 800

Reaction score
First wha was a dunlop hendrix I got in the early 90's. Never liked the switching seems like I always struggled to get it off or on when needed. Got a bad horsie when they came out and have used the same wha up until just recently when I built a secondary/backup/small footprint board. I put a mini morley on it. Seems to sound and work the same as the bad horsie and is quite a bit smaller.
iu

Kandy_Man

Reaction score
I used the Morley Bad Horsie 2 for years, love that there’s no stomping needed to engage it, just step on it and it goes.

I’ve recently acquired the Dunlop rack wah, still need to give it a proper try, but the fact it’s so versatile as well as being able to have multiple foot controllers is a dream come true. My plan once I get back to live playing is to have a second foot controller with the auto return like the Bad Horsie has, giving me the familiar feel of that pedal, plus a regular one I can use for a cocked wah sound when I need it

SuperFleeky

Reaction score
Over the years I've owned many wah's (3 others in a box somewhere) but never found one that I really liked until I picked this one up. Bought it new right before it was discontinued and if it broke I'd get it fixed, if unfixable I'd buy one used. The sweep is wide, stroke is long and very controllable and has an awesome controllable tone. Thought I had broke mine the other day but it's OK now once I was able to removed the jack tip that broke off in it when I stepped on the jack.

View attachment 132562

What's your go to wah?
The Dunlop ZW45 has been my go-to wah since it came out. I have four of them spread across my boards (and one for a backup). I found I can get similar tone/sweep from the Dunlop 535Q, so I have something that I like that's still in production. I also just got the new Dunlop Purple sparkle KH95X; nice tone, but it doesn't have quite the sweep the ZW45 has, but that's a good thing. It's not good for funky waka-waka, but perfect for higher gain tones. I really only use a wah for the occasional solo.