What's your relationship like with your Gibson LP

• Thread starter Gaz Baker
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ampeq

Reaction score
I have a 2012 Traditional & 76 Deluxe modded to a Standard. I get the love hate thing. I like what I'm getting out of the Trad but the 76 neck feels right at home.

LPs.jpg
I would kill to get a perfect wine red deluxe to put P90's in. I have a '77 std. with DiMarzio SD & PAF I bought in '79 and have had ever sense. I love LP's from that era, it makes it hard to go to something else though.

Attachments

• SAM_1079.JPG
    SAM_1079.JPG
    423.2 KB · Views: 16
  • SAM_1349.JPG
    SAM_1349.JPG
    418.3 KB · Views: 16

jmp45

Reaction score
I would kill to get a perfect wine red deluxe to put P90's in. I have a '77 std. with DiMarzio SD & PAF I bought in '79 and have had ever sense. I love LP's from that era, it makes it hard to go to something else though.

I could have done that with that deluxe. The mini hums had to go, squealed constantly. I had a 61 PAF & Dual Sound put in then swapped for Duncan 59 & JB in it now. I traded the PAF for a 61 RI SG. My 76 weighs in at 10lb 4.1oz. it's a brick.

Gaz Baker

Reaction score
........ Can you tell I'm a big Bare Knuckle fan?

You're preaching to the choir brother!:thumbs:
I'm obsessed with BKs.
Love at 1st jam for me!

After getting my tempest, and experiencing the tonal eargasm from the Rebel Yell's, I've brought 2 more guitars with BKs in stalled.

But with the info gathered in this thread, I think i need a set of BKs that's less hot than the Aftermath, Warpigs etc...., but will still cover metal.
Those ones are prone to feedback, and pretty much need dialing back to about 50-60% on the vol pot to get a tone that's usable through my rig.

I'd like to know more about Rabea Massaad's signature set, the "Silo's".
Supposedly they're designed to cover anything from ambient cleans, to modern metal.
Just not willing to take an expensive leap of faith in case they don't work out for me.

I'll be definitely reading up on the Riff Raffs, Black Dogs, etc...
But which ever way I go, I'll be sure to use the matching impedance pots, and associated caps/resistor.

Last edited:

ampeq

Reaction score
I could have done that with that deluxe. The mini hums had to go, squealed constantly. I had a 61 PAF & Dual Sound put in then swapped for Duncan 59 & JB in it now. I traded the PAF for a 61 RI SG. My 76 weighs in at 10lb 4.1oz. it's a brick.
I’ll bet that “brick” is one of the nicest & fullest sounding, longest sustaining, sweetheart of a guitar you ever held. Mine is incredible and VERY hard to beat for an all around guitar. Mine will go from the sweetest clean to the fullest punch you can imagine. I bought this one in 1979 and someday somebody in my family will be holding it saying “I wonder what we can get for this”.

jmp45

Reaction score
I’ll bet that “brick” is one of the nicest & fullest sounding, longest sustaining, sweetheart of a guitar you ever held. Mine is incredible and VERY hard to beat for an all around guitar. Mine will go from the sweetest clean to the fullest punch you can imagine. I bought this one in 1979 and someday somebody in my family will be holding it saying “I wonder what we can get for this”.

Lol, agree.. That brick is a player, plenty of scars to show. It was number one thru 3 decades. The "brick" refers to the weight, not the instrument as it is. It's quite different than the Traditional. Both have their place.

ampeq

Reaction score
Lol, agree.. That brick is a player, plenty of scars to show. It was number one thru 3 decades. The "brick" refers to the weight, not the instrument as it is. It's quite different than the Traditional. Both have their place.
Mine comes in at just over 9lbs. (Not counting the pick) so I know the drill. A nice wide soft leather strap tames her down though. I used to play that thing so hard I have wear marks on top of the bridge pu! I paid a whopping $650 for that guitar but it was really only $375. I bought a new Strat off a buddy of mine that needed money for weed, gave him $125! Took it to the store that had my LP and they gave me $400 trade in for it. That and $250 and I had my dream guitar.

fat_lenny

Reaction score

There is a Wine Red '75 Deluxe for sale locally that I would love to get and put P90's in.

Unfortunately I don't have any loose change after grabbing the '76 deluxe.

Having both sure would be nice though.

Old Punker

Reaction score
@Old Punker - It's a standard in every way except for the satin Tobacco Burst finish. The model is Les Paul Standard Faded Series. The 57 and 57+ combination will do anything I need them to, but I don't play "cookie monster" metal or anything like that. Hardest metal I play would be like STP, Foo Fighters, etc. and classic metal like Priest and Sabbath.
Those pickups into an SV20 pushed by an OCD or SD1 sound great for heavier stuff.
I put the original zebra BB Pros in my Epi Les Paul and that guitar is my main gigging axe, along with a Tele for the cleaner stuff.

View attachment 88023

Beautiful LP! I've heard the 2008's are nice and lightweight. If I play my 6.5 lb. SG for at least one week straight then all of my other guitars feel heavy after.

Glad to hear the 57 Classics are good for heavy stuff, I'll be switching back to my SG in a week or so. :D

Ray Baker

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 87987

I'm curious about other owners experiences with their Gibson LP's.

I've only ever owned one LP, purely because of their price here, and it's gone up $1500NZD since I brought it. The one I own, a 2018 traditional, I chose after doing a lot of homework, and it seemed like the most similar at the time of it's manufacture to the specs I wanted body wise. No weight relief or chambering.
During my hours of trawling the internet for info, I read that Gibson apparently changed the specs in 2009 so the Standard has more modern features, and the Traditional took up the build specs, body wise at least, where the Standard left off.

I have to say, that it hasn't been love at first jam for me.
I've had a love/hate relationship with it.
One day I'd pick it up and love it, the next I would consider selling it because I felt I couldn't gel with it.

But after a year or more now, I feel that I'm getting along great, and understand it better, and how it is set up to play.
It's definitely a soft touch feeling guitar, and it's taught me to adjust the way I was playing.
Possibly a combination of the guitar breaking in?
Definitely a bit of me understanding it better.

The tuning is really stable, which was an off putting factor in some of the reading I encountered, but now I feel that can be partly due to playing a soft touch guitar ham fisted, as with 010's on it, it's light enough to bend whole chords!
If it starts to need any sort of regular tuning, I Graphite the nut and change the strings. Problem solved

Complaints?
Well, I'm not a fan Burstbucker pro's.
They're ok, but don't cut it for heavier music. They can make your playing sound muddy/flubby even if you're tight, but dialing back the vol pot a little helps a lot.

But the saddles, for a high end price axe, are a cheap looking crap design, and will probably get an upgrade when I finally decide on what pup's to transplant into it.

This LP is ''out of the box'' and never had a set up, so that's pretty amazing that it feels like it does, and as soon as you plug it in, it has an instantly recognizable sound that any number of rock bands has exhibited in the past.

I'm liking it a lot now, but was wondering how others have liked/disliked theirs, and would like to hear a comparison of those who have owned a Traditional, or a Standard, and a customshop.

Cheers :cheers:
I've been playing my '87 Custom since I got it in '88. No other guitar I have sounds like it. Not taking away anything from my other LP's or any of my other guitars but when you get the right Guitar, amp and cabinet combination you don't break it up. I have had My 2555 since '88 and my cabinets since '89 and out of all my rig's that's my go to guitar set-up. I have a couple of other Les Paul's and each has a style that it works best in, but my everyday go to guitar is my Custom. I do have to say though when I have that Jimmy Page urge it's not my go to guitar, I go to my Traditional Premium and my 1959 Superlead. 4-17-21.jpg

axe4me

In Memorandum
Reaction score
I've been playing my '87 Custom since I got it in '88. No other guitar I have sounds like it. Not taking away anything from my other LP's or any of my other guitars but when you get the right Guitar, amp and cabinet combination you don't break it up. I have had My 2555 since '88 and my cabinets since '89 and out of all my rig's that's my go to guitar set-up. I have a couple of other Les Paul's and each has a style that it works best in, but my everyday go to guitar is my Custom. I do have to say though when I have that Jimmy Page urge it's not my go to guitar, I go to my Traditional Premium and my 1959 Superlead. View attachment 88084

:jam:

donwagar

Reaction score
I am a Les Paul guy.

Way back, in the 60's, I had a '55 Special all through my high school rock band years. That bonded me to a Les Paul stronger than any other guitar.

I've tried to like a Strat (I have 2 extra necks and a separate loaded pickguard for my Strat), but it isn't for me. I do love to play my Tele though, it's a fit for me.

After years off raising a family, I joined a 'hobby' band, realized I needed another Les Paul (I'd only kept my '64-ES330). I found a '74 White Custom.

full

I played it for maybe 15 years, then got GAS for a reissue, bought an '01 '59 Reissue in '06. I did a fair amount of mods to it, Voodoo 59 Pickups, pots, caps, plastics, etc. The most extensive mod was sending it to Historic Makeovers to have the truss rod changed and a brazilian board put on (they no longer offer this by itself).

Sometime later I found the '57 Special, sold the '74 to help fund it. The Special brought me right back full circle to where I started playing in a band.

A few years ago I found the '53. I'd always wanted a '52 Goldtop, an early '53 is the same guitar, but it was at a price I could afford.

full

I think different people bond with different guitars. What works for me might not work for you. And that's a great thing about guitars.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
My Les Paul is on loan to one of my nieces. She claims it and I'm fine with that. It's not because I didn't bond with it. I actually did, but not at first. But as I got used to it I started playing it almost all the time. Mine is a plain top with a rather chunky neck.

I see you asking about pickups? I put in a DMZ Air Classic in the bridge and it stayed (I don't play modern metal so that's probably not helpful to you).

I changed the neck pickup's magnet to A3 on a recommendation. It sounds a bit smokey blues and is not the least bit boomy with the A3.

For tuning stability: Mine was all over the place and it changed with the temperature of the room or if there was a weather front passing through. I was beginning to understand why so many gig photos show LP players with clip on tuners. I cut a new nut from scratch and that really helped. After putting on new strings its still kind of a pain for the first 24 hours, but after that it settles in.

I definitely prefer a 25.5" scale instrument though. If my niece never gives it back that's okay.

Latest posts