What's your relationship like with your Gibson LP

• Thread starter Gaz Baker
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sapient

 
Reaction score
totally sexual.
:rofl:

Right in her back cavity! Rember, ..finger her first.

I have a decent amount of Lesters and I can say, ...they are all different. I've never really found two to have the same feel, myself. So, if I had a love relationship with Lesters I have to start from each separate one to determine anything. The necks probably have most to do with differences. I dig them still, but play me EVH more these days.

Funny, for a guitar that pretty much always looks the same, they are the ones that never ever play the same.

Last edited:

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Got my first one, a 2016 Classic, new in 2017. Always wanted a sunburst!! Loved it! Chunky, thick sounding thing. Looks so cool too. 60s slim necks on all. I try to have a Paul at every show, or mostly.

GKiXis8.jpg

I also have always loved Goldtops so the next year got a new 2016 Standard with all the cool electronic stuff and locking tuners.

749y7PL.jpg

Then I saw the Modern Axcess series with the easy access high frets amd got a Custom Shop. 2019. Bengal burst. So beautiful! 490 pickups, taps, a rock machine!!

tAvhYNM.jpg

Lastly, wanted to get a moee vintage LP. Found a beautiful condition 1976 Custom in wine red. Nice. Hefty for sure. Feedback issues with the non potted pickups so bridge will be changed ro a 57+ Classic.
Love the LPs!!! Just a change from super strat styles.

YJXILLx.jpg

fat_lenny

Reaction score
My 3 Les Pauls, pretty much my goto Gibsons.

1976 Deluxe
1994 Standard
2009 Junior

I generally only play Gibsons, but these are what I always come back to, with the exception of an L6-S.

These cover pretty much everything I need. The Standard has always been my favourite, but the Deluxe is making a move for No. 1.

Old Punker

Reaction score
The only complaint I had with my satin 2008 LP is similar to yours about the BB Pros but sort of in reverse. The more I played it, the worse they sounded to me - thin with no depth especially when playing clean. Swapped them out for a 57 Classic neck and 57 Classic+ bridge and have been happy ever since. No complaints about my Junior Special with P90s.

@mirrorman is that the Studio model that you have?

I have a 2008 LP Studio (gloss) with the 490R/498T pickups. I think it's supposed to be chambered but mine weighs 8.2 pounds? I like these pickups in this guitar but they're best for heavier stuff like hard rock/metal.

I have the 57 Classic pair on my 2013 SG Standard and I love them. Nice raunchy rock tones.

Have you played any heavier stuff with the 57 Classics? How are they for that?

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score

I have a 2008 LP Studio (gloss) with the 490R/498T pickups. I think it's supposed to be chambered but mine weighs 8.2 pounds? I like these pickups in this guitar but they're best for heavier stuff like hard rock/metal.

I have the 57 Classic pair on my 2013 SG Standard and I love them. Nice raunchy rock tones.

I have 57+ in my Explorer. It can do heavier raunchy stuff. Depending what you mean.

ido1957

Reaction score
Bought my LPC in 2014. I got a guitar and my wife got a big diamond ring after 25 years of marriage. It was to replace one I had in the 70's/80's which I sold for rent. It's a beautiful beast. Had the nut replaced because the original was garbage.

TBH I prefer my Strats. Hardtail, EC, Elite. My LPC stays in its case most of the time. No regerts lol, I play it often enough to avert the guilt.

Old Punker

Reaction score
View attachment 87987

I'm curious about other owners experiences with their Gibson LP's.

I've only ever owned one LP, purely because of their price here, and it's gone up $1500NZD since I brought it. The one I own, a 2018 traditional, I chose after doing a lot of homework, and it seemed like the most similar at the time of it's manufacture to the specs I wanted body wise. No weight relief or chambering.
During my hours of trawling the internet for info, I read that Gibson apparently changed the specs in 2009 so the Standard has more modern features, and the Traditional took up the build specs, body wise at least, where the Standard left off.

I have to say, that it hasn't been love at first jam for me.
I've had a love/hate relationship with it.
One day I'd pick it up and love it, the next I would consider selling it because I felt I couldn't gel with it.

But after a year or more now, I feel that I'm getting along great, and understand it better, and how it is set up to play.
It's definitely a soft touch feeling guitar, and it's taught me to adjust the way I was playing.
Possibly a combination of the guitar breaking in?
Definitely a bit of me understanding it better.

The tuning is really stable, which was an off putting factor in some of the reading I encountered, but now I feel that can be partly due to playing a soft touch guitar ham fisted, as with 010's on it, it's light enough to bend whole chords!
If it starts to need any sort of regular tuning, I Graphite the nut and change the strings. Problem solved

Complaints?
Well, I'm not a fan Burstbucker pro's.
They're ok, but don't cut it for heavier music. They can make your playing sound muddy/flubby even if you're tight, but dialing back the vol pot a little helps a lot.

But the saddles, for a high end price axe, are a cheap looking crap design, and will probably get an upgrade when I finally decide on what pup's to transplant into it.

This LP is ''out of the box'' and never had a set up, so that's pretty amazing that it feels like it does, and as soon as you plug it in, it has an instantly recognizable sound that any number of rock bands has exhibited in the past.

I'm liking it a lot now, but was wondering how others have liked/disliked theirs, and would like to hear a comparison of those who have owned a Traditional, or a Standard, and a customshop.

Cheers :cheers:

@Gaz Baker to answer your original question, I bonded immediately with my 2008 LP Studio and I think the 498T bridge pickup is great for heavier stuff. I don't usually use neck pups though. The guitar feels nice and is easy to play. I generally don't play the really high frets very often though. Like you, Les Paul's are really expensive where I live so I only have one (right now).

My Studio has sounded nice from day one and I haven't really noticed any change over the years, except maybe for my hearing. :rock:

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Got my first one, a 2016 Classic, new in 2017. Always wanted a sunburst!! Loved it! Chunky, thick sounding thing. Looks so cool too. 60s slim necks on all. I try to have a Paul at every show, or mostly.

GKiXis8.jpg

I also have always loved Goldtops so the next year got a new 2016 Standard with all the cool electronic stuff and locking tuners.

749y7PL.jpg

Then I saw the Modern Axcess series with the easy access high frets amd got a Custom Shop. 2019. Bengal burst. So beautiful! 490 pickups, taps, a rock machine!!

tAvhYNM.jpg

Lastly, wanted to get a moee vintage LP. Found a beautiful condition 1976 Custom in wine red. Nice. Hefty for sure. Feedback issues with the non potted pickups so bridge will be changed ro a 57+ Classic.
Love the LPs!!! Just a change from super strat styles.

YJXILLx.jpg

All very nice Bro! I have a couple 2016s and I think they are one of the finest years out there!

Sapient

 
Reaction score
I guess I'm gonna be that guy, the lone poster not exactly praising it - so my relationship is more dysfunctional, it's like the red headed stepchild of the fam in fact, I don't even hang it on the wall with the A-team lol. Don't hate me, I mean I DO own one but purely because it's a must have for recording, you need variety and the LP delivers a unique tone to be sure (great ones at that)...I just personally find them clunky and uncomfortable to play for extended stretches compared to super strat type guitars (which is what I grew up playing and have always been my first pref/home).

Les-Paul-Case.jpg

Guitars.jpg

Looks more like the dirty blonde stepchild to me.

This is a readhead ...

oQSzdIF.png

6qyOgjj.png

...bitch ain't no stepchild eithah.

Last edited:

mirrorman

Reaction score

@Old Punker - It's a standard in every way except for the satin Tobacco Burst finish. The model is Les Paul Standard Faded Series. The 57 and 57+ combination will do anything I need them to, but I don't play "cookie monster" metal or anything like that. Hardest metal I play would be like STP, Foo Fighters, etc. and classic metal like Priest and Sabbath.
Those pickups into an SV20 pushed by an OCD or SD1 sound great for heavier stuff.
I put the original zebra BB Pros in my Epi Les Paul and that guitar is my main gigging axe, along with a Tele for the cleaner stuff.

Gibson Faded Les Paul - Front With 57 Classic and Classic+ Pickups.JPG

Last edited: