Which marshall do i need ?

• Thread starter Daddy of 5
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Daddy of 5

Reaction score
Opinions please, Have an 81 jmp2204 .It Is great !! but i tend to play heavier and heavier .Was thinking tsl 100 would that actually cover what I have now and get into a heavier sound as well? Is it as vesatile as it's let on to be?

Thanks in advance

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's there man. I had a TSL and i prefer the DSL a bit but, the TSL's are good. I have a DSL100 right now and heavier (think NILE. They use these) is where these two go. you still need a boost to tighten it up but, it has all the gain you'd need and then some.

If you get rid of your 2204 let me know. I'd do a deal with you. I have guitars and whatnot on top of the DSL. My DSL has had the reverb circuit removed (but, i still have it).

If not, just be careful what you get with the TSL's. go 2005 and up imo.

sccloser

Reaction score
If I had a DSL I'd trade it to you in a heartbeat for the 2204, and I'd get my jollies from non forum members....
hahaha!:lol::lol::lol:

Papus

Reaction score
Boost your 2204 with a clean boost, that will get you some more heaviness

bluesymetal

Reaction score
+1 slam the front of your amp with a tube screamer, sd1 or another od pedal and you'll be in metal heaven dude. I much prefer a boosted jmp/jcm 800 to a dsl etc... DSL is a good amp if your just adding to the arsenal though.

diesel king

Reaction score
Keep the JMP man. Thats pure gold you own. Crank the fuck out of it, boost it with a pedal if needed

V-man

Reaction score
It depends on your version of heavier and heavier and what sort of purist you may be. If you don't thumb your nose at tone aids (pedals) you can squeeze some more blood out of that amp. If you insist on 100% amp distortion and/or want extreme gain/modern metal, the JVM is the best choice.

Landshark

Reaction score
TSL's aren't for the faint of heart. You really have to take your time dialing it in.
When you say heavier and heavier, I take it you mean way out of 2204 territory, even boosted. The TSL will get you there with ample gain to spare.

Daddy of 5

Reaction score
Whatever else you try, do not sell the 2204 or you will regret it.
Thats what I wonder . Bit of history about myself

I am 44 ,have been playing since i was 11 .Started out playing early Triumph , rush , boston and quickly moved to sabbath ,priest and then in 81 i was front stage left watching Randy Rhoads !! well that sent me over the edge.I studied him and many others over the years .But not too many ever seem to get my attention like he did !!!!. but over the last 10 years or so I never sat down and worked out a cover tune .I just write my own and often am inspired by what i hear these days .Currently on rotation in my truck are 5 finger ,godsmack , evenged ,BLS , disturbed. I have not played in a band in years ,I do Jam with some old buddies (still playing metal ) but there is no time these days or market for the music i like to play around my area anyway. I have a LP with a GT-3 so I am not a purist so to speak, I have 5 kids ranging from 11 to 4 months old (30 yrd old wife)bought my 9 year old son a 3/4 squire strat and i bought a 50 w mg marshall for him to use while i give him lessons (it's mine though lol) .My thoughts were ,I can get some good edge out of my JMP but can i really step it up and get the same jmp sound in one amp? My son will likely one day take it over , but do i want the vintage piece or the sonic boom for him too?? Since I don't really doing anything other than Jam from time to time I really cannot justify adding more gear (i am into photography , bowhunting , sledding ) all consume lots of $$$ so adding a new amp is not realistic . But i know it's almost like keeping that 63 split window vette in 1980 isn't it?

sccloser

Reaction score
Daddy of 5,

I'd just pick up some pedals to play with, or maybe even one of those boss processing gizmos if you just want to get a heavier sound and run them through the jmp.

p.s. I am also 44, play in a band as a hobby, mostly 70's and 80's cover tunes.

Daddy of 5

Reaction score
You won't find a better amp than what you have. Start trying different od/dist pedals and/or pickups! Good luck and have fun!
I have a gt - 3 (multi affect unit from boss and an original mxr dist +) Was thinking of trying emg's (active) to see what that will do as well. Well if I did sell it ,i would have to change my handle on all the forums i frequent.This is the only one that I'm not JMP2204 lol

Daddy of 5

Reaction score
It depends on your version of heavier and heavier and what sort of purist you may be. If you don't thumb your nose at tone aids (pedals) you can squeeze some more blood out of that amp. If you insist on 100% amp distortion and/or want extreme gain/modern metal, the JVM is the best choice.
thanks for the reply , what is the JVM? i really have followed marshall stuff in years

Crunchcity

Reaction score
Buy a $40 SD-1 for your 2204 and let her rip!

I use one in front of my '83 2204 with great results.

And if you want to go heavier than that, than stack an SD-1 (or other boost pedal) + an EQ pedal together. That will pretty much give you the levels of gain any high gain amp today has, imo.

You'll have the pedals as an immediate solution, and then you can plan whatever high gain amp you want to get next to pair up with your 2204. :naughty:

Latest posts