Who likes the Gibson Les Paul?

• Thread starter MilitaryNurse
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

G60_dave

Reaction score
Hmmmm! I'm going to get flack for this, but I am probably they only guy on the forum who can't stand a Gibson Les Paul. If you gave me one today I have it up for sale tomorrow, then go out and buy a new Strat and pocket the left over change. They were always kind of clunky to me. But you LP lovers play on! Now an SG is a different story.

Im the same. Had loads but the go out collection pretty quick for another strat. I love Deluxes so I think Its the Humbuckers I dont like. P90s and Singles are much better.

I still GAS occationally for a goldtop but then try one and the weight reminds me to put it down.

mike sicowitz

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I just would like to know how many Les Pauls you guys have owned, and if you had the chance to plug one in your favorite Marshall? I like Strats too-a lot-but a LP is different. It takes a while to feel the history and see the detail on a LP. But if you do not like a Les Paul, then I guess you have not had one. That is a problem, they cost too much for people to exchange their ideas. But I am not closed minded. If you think that Les Pauls are crap than at least you went on the record to say what you think. Maybe I am the one that is wrong. Great forum-and we are all friends here-there of course is no correct answer.
Mike

Tele52

Reaction score
I love Fenders, always have. But the sound of my Gary Moore Les Paul plugged into my Bluesbreaker, is to my mind the finest sound I've ever had. You control the growl with the volume knob on the guitar. And let's not forget "the woman tone". I love Strats, but there's a beauty in a fine Les Paul like nothing else. Compare a flame top 59 RI, with any PRS, and I'll the LP every time. Yep, it's heavy, upper fret access is tricky. But, Jimmy Page with a Strat just wouldn't have been right. That's just my opinion, I may be wrong.

lakehaus

Reaction score
Man - I love Les Pauls... I just can't play them!! I've owned 5; R7, R8, R9, Standard, DC. All beautiful sounding, all gorgeous to look at, I simply don't feel comfortable with them.

My SG and 175 are keepers, and so are my Strats. I can play those guitars comfortably, but it feels like I have to work harder at playing a Les Paul. This sucks, I know.

Same way with Tele's. I've had 'em, I just don't keep 'em.

Sigh...

mike sicowitz

Reaction score
Hi guys,
What are those anyhow? I do know there is a difference even among the Gibsons. My goldtop was mostly paid for with a Supreme that just was not me. It was a Gibson USA and there clould be a slip in quaility over there. At least Les Paul I doubt would have played one. I know my case may be different but I like the history and what it was that Les was trying to do. He was happy with a black custom and a gold standard. It was Gibson that wanted to change things. It was good at first right?...it gave us the SG. But those R7, R9 and the rest, they are pretty good guitars. Lets get down to it: take Fender out of the argument and pretend you have a gig tonight. What are you going to get without those two-off the shelf of your favorite store. My point is you cannot trust the quality of that many guitars. Sure, they make good ones, but how many do you have to play first to find a good one; one that is as good as a Les Paul off the shelf. In my later years I'm running out of time to try stuff made in China. However, I agree there are so many great guitars there is not enough time to list them all. On the other hand if someone came to my house and plugged in the 57 custom and said they didn't lilke it, I'd really question what they like better because I want one-or two-maybe three.
Mike

T-Bird

Reaction score
Hi.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Heritage LP's versus the Gibsons?

Back in the day I had the single one 535NAT that was ever imported over here in a batch of a LP, the 535 and AFAIK SG. The guitar was a great player but had suffered from the "snapping headstock syndrome" (intentionally) when I bought it. The repair was easy enough as usual and after I had played it for a year or a two I traded it to a 75' anniversary Firebird and some cash.

The only thing that bothered me with the Heritage was the "unfinished" look and the fact that the laquer wasn't compatible with jeans for example. The headstock shape wasn't a favourite of mine either.

I'd say that the Heritage was the "better" Gibson, but then again I don't see the Gibsons QC that great anyway. Perhaps I've just had bad apples or something like that?

Regards
Sam

kernal

Reaction score
I love the sound, but every Gibson Les Paul I ever played was just uncomfortable (not the weight) and I didn't like the necks. Then I found this ESP LTD EC 1000 Deluxe:

pick037.jpg

pick039.jpg

and found something that sounded and played great. It came stock with a JB in the bridge and '59 in the neck.

I hear ya about LP's being "uncomfortable." I sold my '82 Custom cherry sunburst cause there was just something about the neck and body that I found uncomfortable. I picked up a Fender strat one day, and never looked back. I do regret selling my LP back in '85 for only $400.(that was the going rate back then). man, if I only knew...I could have sold it on ebay nowdays for $1,500 to $2,000 easy. Oh well that's the breaks.

I've always liked SG's though. Never have owned one, but I always use to play one during practice when I was in a garage band many moons ago.

The one Gibson that I have recently fell in love with...the Nighthawk! A friend of mine bought one, and it felt like butter in my hands when I played it.

The body shape, the weight and feel...pure awesome! But Nighthawks are not cheap...neither are LP's.

Always wanted an explorer too. :cool2:

custom53

Reaction score
Hmmmm! I'm going to get flack for this, but I am probably they only guy on the forum who can't stand a Gibson Les Paul. If you gave me one today I have it up for sale tomorrow, then go out and buy a new Strat and pocket the left over change. They were always kind of clunky to me. But you LP lovers play on! Now an SG is a different story.

Not giving you flack, but you have not played enough of them yet. Some I can't stand, some I drool over. There are so many Les Pauls that have a different "feel" to them. Keep trying them out. I, myself, can't get "comfortable" with any Fender and I have owned two Strats and two Teles.

Fcal124

Reaction score
I like em! Also like Teles. Love the Fender maple necks, but for Rock, nothing beats a Paul.
Guitars8.jpg

Guitars9.jpg

noise5150

Reaction score
Love my Les Paul 1960 VOS. I have several guitars including an Ernie Ball Axis, custom made Carvin and a PRS 245 and I have so say my Les Paul is my "go to guitar". Its my favorite all around guitar for Rock, Blues and Metal.

tubes

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I definitely want a LP and would buy the first one available if I were rich.
As it stands, with me not being very rich, I'm looking around lately for a battered one.
I don't care about how it looks, I only care about the sound.

Same goes for a Flying V: I'm hoping to get a broken and battered one for reasonable price.

I don't know how it is in the USA or UK, but there in NZ the online market for guitars seems to be full of people asking for a high price because the guitar they are selling is 'pristine', 'never gigged', 'perfect condition'.

WTF??

I would rather buy a guitar described as "gigged for 20 years, finish is wrecked with scratches and cigarette burns, body dented all over, tailpiece has horrible corrosion (could be replaced easily), SOUNDS FANTASTIC.

Tele52

Reaction score
I definitely want a LP and would buy the first one available if I were rich.
As it stands, with me not being very rich, I'm looking around lately for a battered one.
I don't care about how it looks, I only care about the sound.

Same goes for a Flying V: I'm hoping to get a broken and battered one for reasonable price.

I don't know how it is in the USA or UK, but there in NZ the online market for guitars seems to be full of people asking for a high price because the guitar they are selling is 'pristine', 'never gigged', 'perfect condition'.

WTF??

I would rather buy a guitar described as "gigged for 20 years, finish is wrecked with scratches and cigarette burns, body dented all over, tailpiece has horrible corrosion (could be replaced easily), SOUNDS FANTASTIC.

The battered ones are the ones that sound great. Their owners can't part with them. When I dabbled in the vintage guitar market many years back, my mentor told me if you see a 50's or 60's guitar in mint condition that's because no one ever loved that guitar, it just didn't have that mojo. But good luck. It's not that much to ship a guitar to NZ is it? USPS has some pretty good rates. You just have to find someone nice enough to go the extra mile (or miles) to get it to you.
But I can tell you from looking at our local Craigslist list, that people are asking the same prices for used that you can get on sale from Musicians Friend new. They were going to sell me a new worn cherry studio for $685.00

MacMan

Reaction score
I do want one but in many ways I don't. They are nice to play and the sound is.......pure bliss, however every man and his dog has one. I just feel that for the price(new) they are not worth it and older ones are over priced imo.

tubes

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Tele52,
Thanks for the tips: wise observations - based on experience too.

Right now I have to fight the temptation to try an Epi LP.
Have to keep telling myself: "For pity's sake just save up the extra $300 and get the real thing!"

Last week I missed the chance to get a beat-up 80s Flying V at auction. Don't know whether I saved myself from expense and disappointment or missed a golden opportunity.

Conclusion: It's best to know the market well and know what you're doing and why.