Why the Telecaster?

• Thread starter Vinsanitizer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
What are the most important things I should know that make the Tele so significant?
I don't have one, and feel I'm missing something. But I just don't get the Tele. What am I missing about this legendary axe? Please tell me everything ever about Telecasters.

Thanks.

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
they really dig into your rib cage

the ash bodied ones are heavy

joe walsh
jimmy page

i think that covers everything ever.

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Because they look so much cooler leaning up against a wall than a Strat. But not so fancy you're scared it's going to get scratched like a Les Paul.

Fender+Select.jpg

duncan11

Reaction score
What are the most important things I should know that make the Tele so significant?
I don't have one, and feel I'm missing something. But I just don't get the Tele. What am I missing about this legendary axe? Please tell me everything ever about Telecasters.

Thanks.

Well first the earth cooled, and then the dinosaurs came, and then the telecaster was invented. The rest is history!

I'm with you, never really played them nor dug them. Teles that is. In fact it was only about 2weeks ago I really played a real ES335. Still wasn't wowed and converted into going to sell all my solid body guitars in favor of an ES. Was overall meh in them. Yeah ok and all but nothing to light my world on fire. I feel the same way bout teles. Meh.

sccloser

Reaction score
Why the tele? Why not?

Most Teles I have had were light. Bridge pickup screams. Neck pickup can be real bluesy. Middle position is sweet. You can play most any style on them. They are simple. They are nearly indestructible. They hold tune well, and are easy to retune to open tunings on the fly. I have found them to be extremely versatile. Roll off the tone and thicken up the sound...could almost pass for a humbucker at times.

But I must warn you. They are not very forgiving. They are a nuance guitar. Very dynamic. They do not hide sloppy playing or mistakes. They cut through the mix. They will force you to play better because you can hear everything you do.

Since I finished modding my Nashville Tele with a mini hb in the neck, Texas Special in the middle and No Caster in the bridge position, my strat rarely makes it to gigs anymore. The Tele can cover so much.

I'll add that I never fully appreciated Teles until I had been playing for a while.

SeanMichael

Reaction score
Arent they the sole guitars that people put G or B benders on? Country twang man! I have never played a tele, so im not much help.

shooto

Reaction score
#1- they kick ass

example for #1- Keef

2nd example for #1- Richie plays one too

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgbtSVhuoSY]So Cold Richie Kotzen Live @ Paladino's 10 23 11 - YouTube[/ame]

All4Tone

Reaction score
Teles are just plain awesome. I ignored them for decades, then tried one and bought 5 o them. Still have them now and my fave is a 2011 sunburst with a set of Lollars on it. That thing makes other Teles wish they could sound as 'Tele' as this one does.
I'm keeping my other guitars too, but never undersestimate the power and glory of a Tele.

66 galaxie

VIP Member
Reaction score
They are ugly,and, like scat said poke your ribs. The top digs into your forearm and they scream country western.
Having said that, plug one into a Fender amp and they make a sound that no other guitar can make, so you gotta have one.
Oh and once you get one, they are actually pretty bad ass :cool:

CaptainZero

Reaction score
I've never noticed the rib thing. I will pay attention to that next time I play mine, and I was playing it tonight. Mine has Texas Specials, and while I like country music, I mostly play harder stuff, so... I LOVE the feel, but want to replace the bridge with a mini bucker.

66 galaxie

VIP Member
Reaction score
I should clarify, mine has not had the roundover routed on the edges yet. That will help.

66 galaxie

VIP Member
Reaction score
^ true. Tele through decent Fender tube amp is like hearing G-d

Seriously :yesway:
I really used to hate these guitars. I started hanging out with these guys and all they played was teles... and fender amps. A year later I had one of each :lol:

They really are cool guitars.

I'm gonna build some this year that are gonna make the purists poop their pants. Its gonna be fun :yesway: