Would you buy this Gibson acoustic guitar?

• Thread starter Vinsanitizer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
To mine ears, the J-45 doesn't have the bass depth of a big D like a Hummingbird or HD-28, but it does have a lot of lower midrange punch that you can't get in most acoustics.

Agree / disagree?

BTW - my J-45 is a '23 "Gibson J-45 '50s Faded Vintage Sunburst".

This is the one:

View attachment 136431

Bumping this due to questions...do you use 80/20 bronze strings on that j45?

I recently tried the Martin Kovar strings on my j45. Waste of $20. It lost it's fullness and I went back to the 80/20's with the quickness.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score

I recently tried the Martin Kovar strings on my j45. Waste of $20. It lost it's fullness and I went back to the 80/20's with the quickness.
These, exclusively. 12's or 13's, depending.

1705108168360.png
I ditched 20/80 for Bosphor Phronze decades ago.

Lo-Tek

Reaction score

I often use Monel on my mahogany D18. You might try a set if the J45 is also mahogany- supposedly the strings don't work as good with rosewood

ikillintel

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope. I'd never pay that for any guitar. I have a limit and its never failed me... $1,300.00 is my max for anything...I bought my LTD Gary Holt GH600 for $999.00 brand new with case. I found a Jackson RR1 USA for $500.00 with case its tags and paper work in a pawnshop! also in that same pawnshop I found a Jeff Loomis Kelly PRO brand new with case for $650.00 , So No!, I won't ever pay that for a guitar.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
To mine ears, the J-45 doesn't have the bass depth of a big D like a Hummingbird or HD-28, but it does have a lot of lower midrange punch that you can't get in most acoustics.

Agree / disagree?

BTW - my J-45 is a '23 "Gibson J-45 '50s Faded Vintage Sunburst".

This is the one:

View attachment 136431

As an update, I now own the faded J45 version. As much as I liked the Slash J45, I sold it and pocketed a little money.

The take away here is that the faded J45 I tried months ago is the one I ended up with. I am floored by the sound of it. Not sure if the faded finish allows for more vibration of the top or what but ...wow.

I hope you are enjoying yours as much as I am.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
As an update, I now own the faded J45 version. As much as I liked the Slash J45, I sold it and pocketed a little money.

The take away here is that the faded J45 I tried months ago is the one I ended up with. I am floored by the sound of it. Not sure if the faded finish allows for more vibration of the top or what but ...wow.

I hope you are enjoying yours as much as I am.
Awesome, congrats!! :yesway: Do you have a pic? I love mine. I finally have a go-to acoustic that I don't have to worry about getting fingerprints and scratches. I love that dry, woody Gibson acoustic tone.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
Awesome, congrats!! :yesway: Do you have a pic? I love mine. I finally have a go-to acoustic that I don't have to worry about getting fingerprints and scratches. I love that dry, woody Gibson acoustic tone.

I agree. I just wasn't playing the Slash J45 enough to keep it and had a bit of a phobia with it (dinging it/etc). I just have no desire to keep a guitar that won't be played much. I have bought very few NEW guitars in my life.

Playing them is the fun of ownership. Much like a showcar, I'd see no joy in owning a car I'd be afraid to drive.

I was playing my '70's Gibson Gospel much more than the Slash J45. But the Gospel now desperately needs a neck reset. I consider the Gospel a keeper.

The faded J45 fills the niche of sounding vastly different and there is definitely that woody Gibson sound. I have no worries over dinging it. I also dig the satin finish on the neck.

Attachments

• 20240224_134358.jpg
    20240224_134358.jpg
    672.1 KB · Views: 6

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree. I just wasn't playing the Slash J45 enough to keep it and had a bit of a phobia with it (dinging it/etc). I just have no desire to keep a guitar that won't be played much. I have bought very few NEW guitars in my life.

Playing them is the fun of ownership. Much like a showcar, I'd see no joy in owning a car I'd be afraid to drive.

I was playing my '70's Gibson Gospel much more than the Slash J45. But the Gospel now desperately needs a neck reset. I consider the Gospel a keeper.

The faded J45 fills the niche of sounding vastly different and there is definitely that woody Gibson sound. I have no worries over dinging it. I also dig the satin finish on the neck.
Nice rosewood on the neck, yours has some red tinge in it - I always loved that and it's hard to find. My 50's Tribute Les Paul has some, and an ES-175 I used to own had it too. I like the defined bookmatch below the bridge, and the bridge has a nice visible grain.

How would you describe the tone? Mine sounds pretty balanced: the top is clear but not thin, I think the bottom doesn't go as deep as a full size dreadnaught - it's more punchy than boomy. The tone is definitely balanced.

Also, how are the fret ends on yours? Mine needed a little smoothing on the edges, which my retailer does a fantastic job for free on new guitars.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
Nice rosewood on the neck, yours has some red tinge in it - I always loved that and it's hard to find. My 50's Tribute Les Paul has some, and an ES-175 I used to own had it too. I like the defined bookmatch below the bridge, and the bridge has a nice visible grain.

How would you describe the tone? Mine sounds pretty balanced: the top is clear but not thin, I think the bottom doesn't go as deep as a full size dreadnaught - it's more punchy than boomy. The tone is definitely balanced.

Also, how are the fret ends on yours? Mine needed a little smoothing on the edges, which my retailer does a fantastic job for free on new guitars.

I'd describe the tone as much more lively and springy on the top end than the glossy finished J45's. To my ears anyway.

I feel more vibration in the top of the faded.

All the glossy finished J45's I played were darker. The Slash J45 had more thump in the low end but didn't have the chime in top end like this faded does. I'd say pretty balanced overall for the faded as well.

I don't think anything has the low end bloom of a Hummingbird in my opinion. I figure it's the big slope shoulder design.

The fret ends are good and the playability was so good, I had thought the shop had done a setup on it. He replied "no" and stated they have been getting these modern Gibson's fairly spot on right out of the box.

The faded J45 has been a good seller for them as they've sold at least three of them recently. They also have a couple of Hummingbirds... but way outta my budget. They do sound glorious though.

The tone of the Faded J45 is well worth the cost in my opinion.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
No. Buy a far-superior (in every way) Eastman, and bank the money.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd describe the tone as much more lively and springy on the top end than the glossy finished J45's. To my ears anyway.

I feel more vibration in the top of the faded.

All the glossy finished J45's I played were darker. The Slash J45 had more thump in the low end but didn't have the chime in top end like this faded does. I'd say pretty balanced overall for the faded as well.

I don't think anything has the low end bloom of a Hummingbird in my opinion. I figure it's the big slope shoulder design.

The fret ends are good and the playability was so good, I had thought the shop had done a setup on it. He replied "no" and stated they have been getting these modern Gibson's fairly spot on right out of the box.

The faded J45 has been a good seller for them as they've sold at least three of them recently. They also have a couple of Hummingbirds... but way outta my budget. They do sound glorious though.

The tone of the Faded J45 is well worth the cost in my opinion.
My dream acoustic is the Hummingbird. I was able to afford one in 2011, but I sold it to help fund my fever for a '59 Les Paul R9. They were $3,200 back then, and I was getting 15% off all gear at GC. Today they're $4K?, and built like an average Gibson because Gibson wants you to spend $6K+ for the Historic stuff. I get tired of the dangling carrots. A month ago I tried one of their maple top Hummers. It was $4K and it sounded like a $250 plywood Yamaha. Moreover, the bridge saddle was ridiculously high, the battery pack was flopping around inside the guitar, and it weighed as much as a carboard shoebox. To me, that's a hunk of junk. It took me less than 60 seconds to say, uhm.. nah. So I bought a Martin HD-28, and that's my proper dreadnaught. The HD-28 is the opposite side of the Smokie Mountains compared to the Hummingbird, Song Writer, etc. I truly love the sound of both, but Gibson's dry woody tone and feel win over Martin for me. I prefer the sound of maple back and side with a spruce top, over rosewood back and sides, but they're both very good, just different.

BTW, that's another super nice Gibson: the Song Writer Studio Deluxe model. I regret selling the one I had, to fund the R9 as well.

Anyway, back to the J-45, yeah - the satin top is definitely more lively with more overtones. I tried a couple of gloss finished J-45's (around $3k or more?), and was surprised how muted they sounded. One thing I did notice on all the J-45's I tried, is that Gibson is making the nuts really low - so low that you'd expect the open strings to buzz, but they don't buzz no matter how [reasonably] hard you hit the strings. The comfort down there is great, best nut work I've ever seen on any new guitar.

What are your favorite acoustic strings? I'm using Martin 12's, Lifespan 2.0. They're slightly coated, but IDK if they're the best choice for tone. I've used D'Addario 12's, but they rot pretty quickly. I used to like Gibson Vintage Reissue 12's, but they became hard to find and the price went to the moon years ago. So I stick with Martin Lifespan 2.0's for now b/c they're better than fully coated strings, sound good, and don't rot very quickly.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
My dream acoustic is the Hummingbird. I was able to afford one in 2011, but I sold it to help fund my fever for a '59 Les Paul R9. They were $3,200 back then, and I was getting 15% off all gear at GC. Today they're $4K?, and built like an average Gibson because Gibson wants you to spend $6K+ for the Historic stuff. I get tired of the dangling carrots. A month ago I tried one of their maple top Hummers. It was $4K and it sounded like a $250 plywood Yamaha. Moreover, the bridge saddle was ridiculously high, the battery pack was flopping around inside the guitar, and it weighed as much as a carboard shoebox. To me, that's a hunk of junk. It took me less than 60 seconds to say, uhm.. nah. So I bought a Martin HD-28, and that's my proper dreadnaught. The HD-28 is the opposite side of the Smokie Mountains compared to the Hummingbird, Song Writer, etc. I truly love the sound of both, but Gibson's dry woody tone and feel win over Martin for me. I prefer the sound of maple back and side with a spruce top, over rosewood back and sides, but they're both very good, just different.

BTW, that's another super nice Gibson: the Song Writer Studio Deluxe model. I regret selling the one I had, to fund the R9 as well.

Anyway, back to the J-45, yeah - the satin top is definitely more lively with more overtones. I tried a couple of gloss finished J-45's (around $3k or more?), and was surprised how muted they sounded. One thing I did notice on all the J-45's I tried, is that Gibson is making the nuts really low - so low that you'd expect the open strings to buzz, but they don't buzz no matter how [reasonably] hard you hit the strings. The comfort down there is great, best nut work I've ever seen on any new guitar.

What are your favorite acoustic strings? I'm using Martin 12's, Lifespan 2.0. They're slightly coated, but IDK if they're the best choice for tone. I've used D'Addario 12's, but they rot pretty quickly. I used to like Gibson Vintage Reissue 12's, but they became hard to find and the price went to the moon years ago. So I stick with Martin Lifespan 2.0's for now b/c they're better than fully coated strings, sound good, and don't rot very quickly.

I agree on the more muted tone on the glossy finished one's for sure. I believe the thicker gloss dampens the vibration of the top to a certain extent. I noticed that the standard models also feature a Tusq nut and saddle as where the faded has bone.

They have a couple of Hummingbirds at the local shop. One is faded model and the other is the thicker gloss finished model. I liked the sounded of the faded model as it was more alive. I can't recall the actual of price of each but the glossy one was around $4300. Which is not affordable for a guy like me...quite a bit of a coin to me actually.

The best Hummingbird I ran across was a 2007 or 08 Custom Shop in black. The low end was full and the top end rang like a bell. I have yet to hear any acoustic that sounded as good as that one. I wanted to buy it but again...a case of more want than money to buy it.

They also have a 1948 J45 hanging beside of it. It's fantastic ...but of course also DAMN expensive.

As far as strings go, I'm still trying different things to find exactly what I like. I have tried the Martin Kovar' strings and did not like on either of my acoustics. In fact, they were quite dull sounding to my ears. The other thing was the disappointment of paying $20 for the set.
They were hyped and not worth it. Not in my opinion.

12's on an acoustic are definitely my preferred gauge for sure.

I have also tried and liked...
*Ernie Ball Aluminum bronze
*Dean Markley Blue steel

I will try the Lifespan 2.0's at some point and see what those are about.

I am currently using Mapes "Brass" 12-54's on both of the Gibson acoustics currently and love the sound. The bad part is that I cannnot buy them locally.
They actually supply the wire for several major string brands and have been at it for over 100 years. I cannot speak for the longevity yet but really digging the tone.

Attachments

• 20240224_203207.jpg
    20240224_203207.jpg
    801 KB · Views: 2

Dave_11

Reaction score
Love me some Gibson acoustics! I have an 2008 J50 and a 2016 Hummingbird, both full gloss. The J50 is OK, but there are probably better sounding examples out there. The Hummingbird is stellar. I've never played a guitar that played so well up the neck. No matter where you barre a chord, it just rings out almost like an open position chord. The only thing I can fault it on is the flubber pickguard (that's lifting) and the truss rod cover says "2016" in stead of HUMMINGBIRD. WTF Gibson, why did you have to do that? I keep trying different strings on the J50. John Pearse pure nickel strings are a favorite, but I also use D'Addario PB. The Hummingbird sounds best with D'Addario PB strings, hands down. No other strings comes close for me.

My dream acoustic is an early 60s J50. A few years ago you could buy a nice one for around $2K, and a lesser one for around $1500. But now I don't think you can even touch a late 60s beat up J50 for under $2K, and the early 60s ones go for over $3K. Why I didn't buy one 15 years ago is beyond me...

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
I recently took some Virtuoso polish to the top and it really looks nice on the faded finish. I've already worn the back of the neck to a semi gloss from playing it.

Still experimenting with strings. So far I like the Dean Markley Blue Steels best on this particular guitar. I still like the Mapes Brass strings on it but actually prefer them on the '70's Gibson Gospel. That guitar is made from mostly maple and a whole different tone.

I like the Dunlop Ultex .60 pick best so far with any acoustic. I just wish they made them in say a .65 or so. The .73 seems to lose something on the top end to my ears.

Attachments

• 20240301_093543.jpg
    20240301_093543.jpg
    696.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score

Also as an update, the Mapes sound good but go dead extremely quickly so I'm going to go a different route.

It's been the case with two sets so far. Gotta try Martin sp's I suppose.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
Also as an update, the Mapes sound good but go dead extremely quickly so I'm going to go a different route.

It's been the case with two sets so far. Gotta try Martin sp's I suppose.
Try Martin Lifespan 2.0's. I think they sound great, feel great, and they last me for weeks if not months.