Would you buy this Gibson acoustic guitar?

• Thread starter Vinsanitizer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Linxunfan

Reaction score
Just picked this J-45 up brand new a couple weeks ago. Couldn’t pass on chance to get the 60s wine red without the adjustable saddle. Has a couple of minor QC issues and I got a discount just by asking but still wasn’t close to a cheap guitar. I haven’t thought about the defects since bringing it home and have barely set it down either. Morale is buy what you want for the price you’re willing to pay, and don’t fault others for doing the same.

IMG_0793.jpeg

Trem man

Reaction score
I've got some older Gibsons but I also have a 2005 J-200 and a 2010 Woody Guthrie Southern Jumbo, both are excellent. Would I pay 3200 for the one in the picture? Probably not.

Sgrady41

Reaction score
I hhave a songwriter and it is a great tone and sweet guitar but yes it is a Gibson

bry8865

Reaction score
I bought a Les Paul standard used in 1989 and nothing since comes close to it. I've let friends of mine play it and they worship it. That said, I recently started looking at guitars with a Floyd Rose and there is so much complete junk out there... Chinese, Korean, complete crap... strings misaligned, pickups are trash, hardware breaking in the 1st 10 minutes of trying it out. I really can't believe all these guitar companies are importing complete crap and distributing here. It's no wonder the up and coming generation have no interest in making music with actual instruments. If you want a real instrument, stick with the Gibson. Give it a little lovin' and it will be your friend for life.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
Do you consider it nit-picking?
Would You pay $3,200 for it?
—A bit nit picky but it is a $3k+ guitar
—If I played it and loved how it felt and sounded sure. I’m not big on not getting what I want tho haha

I assume that is the Standard model? I have a Gibson Songwriter Deluxe like @Audrix which is (strangely) the less-appointed version—I think I paid a bit under $2k for mine. I enjoy it—it’s not a Lowden or Goodall but it is a well built good sounding dread

Derrick111

Reaction score
This is a new $3,200 Gibson Song Writer. The binding job on the top bouts near the neck are asymmetrical, sloppy, weird, whatever words describe it.

This is the kind of stuff I've been criticizing Gibson for, for decades, though it's on the less critical side than most other "flaws" I've seen.

Do you consider it nit-picking?
Would You pay $3,200 for it?

UPDATE: I do not own, nor do I want this guitar. Neither am I looking to buy a guitar. I am only asking your thoughts about a flaw on a Gibson guitar.

View attachment 136375
Um, has anyone varified this in person, or are we making decisions on one low res photo on the internet? How many are viewing on their tiny phone for that matter? Maybe there are flaws, but I would want to see i in person if I was interested in the guitar. If I wasn't interested, I wouldn't worry what Gibson does in 2023 to begin with.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
Um, has anyone varified this in person, or are we making decisions on one low res photo on the internet? How many are viewing on their tiny phone for that matter? Maybe there are flaws, but I would want to see i in person if I was interested in the guitar. If I wasn't interested, I wouldn't worry what Gibson does in 2023 to begin with.
Did you purposely come here to practice making no sense?

Derrick111

Reaction score
Wow dude, what is your agenda... sounds like you didn't check them out in person, but instead just used a lousy photo to give you license to complain. Should you really be lecturing me on making sense?

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
Just picked this J-45 up brand new a couple weeks ago. Couldn’t pass on chance to get the 60s wine red without the adjustable saddle. Has a couple of minor QC issues and I got a discount just by asking but still wasn’t close to a cheap guitar. I haven’t thought about the defects since bringing it home and have barely set it down either. Morale is buy what you want for the price you’re willing to pay, and don’t fault others for doing the same.

View attachment 141432
I bought a J45 earlier this year and love it. It took years to afford one but every time I tried a cheaper alternative, it left me disappointed.

I'm still after a Hummingbird.

circles

Reaction score
I really like the Gibson big body acoustics. I could just never justify the expense, so I try not to look at them. 🙃

taylodl

Reaction score
There's only two things I care about when selecting an acoustic guitar: how does it feel and how does it sound? Go with a friend and play guitars blindfolded (if you can't play while blindfolded then you probably shouldn't be spending $3200 on a guitar - get a Yamaha). Brands and looks won't sway you. All you can do is judge the guitar on how it feels and how it sounds. If the guitar feels good and sounds good then the imperfections with the binding simply won't matter.

Derrick111

Reaction score
There's only two things I care about when selecting an acoustic guitar: how does it feel and how does it sound? Go with a friend and play guitars blindfolded (if you can't play while blindfolded then you probably shouldn't be spending $3200 on a guitar - get a Yamaha). Brands and looks won't sway you. All you can do is judge the guitar on how it feels and how it sounds. If the guitar feels good and sounds good then the imperfections with the binding simply won't matter.
But looks are perfectly valid. Looks are inspiring to many, and there's nothing wrong with working hard for something you find prestige in owning over simply utility. If looks weren't valid, there would not be a Les Paul Standard or Custom... there would only be the cheaper Studio. The Hummingbird would simply be a plain dreadnought. The J200... The Martin D-35...

taylodl

Reaction score
But looks are perfectly valid. Looks are inspiring to many, and there's nothing wrong with working hard for something you find prestige in owning over simply utility. If looks weren't valid, there would not be a Les Paul Standard or Custom... there would only be the cheaper Studio. The Hummingbird would simply be a plain dreadnought. The J200... The Martin D-35...
If two guitars pretty much feel the same and sound the same then I'll go with the one I think looks best.

Latest posts