YJM100 - 'The Ultimate Plexi' thread!

• Thread starter Holme
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dash8311

Reaction score
936808_10151475252503071_850311629_n.jpg

Machine Head

Reaction score
After two weeks of owning the YJM100 I'm very happy with it so far and so I thought to write my first post in this epic thread. I've never owned a NMV amp before and one of the reasons to buy this amp at all is the EPA feature it has. I do hear now why a Plexi amp needs to be run at the highest volume settings if it's about that particular nice overdriven tube sound it can produce. Thanks Marshall for EPA!

The amp sounded well with all the different types of guitars I've plugged in and reacted nicely to their various volume and tone pot settings.

The built-in distortion circuit is good for me and I haven't tried any other OD/DS pedals in front of the YJM100 yet. The gate is good to have for hi-gain settings I think but otherwise I switch it off.

The YJM100 gives me definitively different tone colours I don't get from the other amps and vice-versa it can't replace the others. I'm satisfied with the choice of Marshall sounds I now have: YJM100, JCM1, AFD100 and JVM1.

afdyjm.jpg

chinesexrocks

Reaction score
On the subject of tubes, I replaced the POS stock power tubes with REAL winged c's and a tung sol in V1, and rebaised the amp hotter (about 40 on the trim) and it made a big difference in my opinion. The stock marshall labeled winged c's sounded like shit, and v1 blew as soon as I took the amp to about half power and that was with the amp biased cold, the tung sol just gave me a tiny bit more gain, but it did wonders for single high notes.

ufguy73

Reaction score
no shit, whats that piece of crap in top of the yjm! :)

great set-up!

AllenCollinsExplorer

Reaction score
I want one of those too! That's the tone I'am seeking with my YJM and it does that just perfectly! Redstone, you should know these amps as an AC/DC fan! :dude:

Is there anybody out there, who can tell me how to make the pics big? I just don't get how you guys do that! :lol:

Attachments

• Rickey.2011.jpg
    Rickey.2011.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 19

Redstone

Reaction score
I want one of those too! That's the tone I'am seeking with my YJM and it does that just perfectly! Redstone, you should know these amps as an AC/DC fan! :dude:

Is there anybody out there, who can tell me how to make the pics big? I just don't get how you guys do that! :lol:

Haha I'm a huge AC/DC fan, that's why decided to get a YJM over an AFD, I would really love an AFD though, maybe some day I'll have both.

Anyway, here is how you post a big picture.

First find the link of the image you want to post.

Then go to make a post, this works in quick post or advanced post. Clock the button that I highlighted with the arrow.
qORQ8KJ.png

A box something like this will pop up.
Uch9F97.png

Paste the image link into the box like this and click ok or done.
vbzJ09g.png

It should look like this then.
nrQoak6.png

And once you post it the image will appear.

Tip: make sure you done delete the image link after you click ok/done because sometimes it highlights it and if you press a key it will delete it and you will have to paste it in again.

Enjoy :thumb:

John 14:6

Reaction score
After two weeks of owning the YJM100 I'm very happy with it so far and so I thought to write my first post in this epic thread. I've never owned a NMV amp before and one of the reasons to buy this amp at all is the EPA feature it has. I do hear now why a Plexi amp needs to be run at the highest volume settings if it's about that particular nice overdriven tube sound it can produce. Thanks Marshall for EPA!

The amp sounded well with all the different types of guitars I've plugged in and reacted nicely to their various volume and tone pot settings.

The built-in distortion circuit is good for me and I haven't tried any other OD/DS pedals in front of the YJM100 yet. The gate is good to have for hi-gain settings I think but otherwise I switch it off.

The YJM100 gives me definitively different tone colours I don't get from the other amps and vice-versa it can't replace the others. I'm satisfied with the choice of Marshall sounds I now have: YJM100, JCM1, AFD100 and JVM1.

afdyjm.jpg
I recommend that any YJM100 owner ditch the stock SED Winged C's for some Groove Tubes EL34M Mullard Dual Getter copies. I just put some of these Chinese Mullard copies in my YJM100 and they sound full on AMAZING. The SED's do not break up early. My Groove Tubes EL34M have a power rating of 4 which is medium break up. Some guys complain that the YJM100 does not have enough distortion at lower EPA settings without the boost being used. The EL34M's will fix that right away. They are way less boomy than the Winged C's also. They have an incredible midrange and they just drip with chunky, crunchy, harmonic filled, singing goodness. It just make everything sound "right" or authentic with this amp. I am also using JJ's 12AX7's in the preamp. This tube combo is what should be in the amp stock.

Redstone

Reaction score
I recommend that any YJM100 owner ditch the stock SED Winged C's for some Groove Tubes EL34M Mullard Dual Getter copies. I just put some of these Chinese Mullard copies in my YJM100 and they sound full on AMAZING. The SED's do not break up early. My Groove Tubes EL34M have a power rating of 4 which is medium break up. Some guys complain that the YJM100 does not have enough distortion at lower EPA settings without the boost being used. The EL34M's will fix that right away. They are way less boomy than the Winged C's also. They have an incredible midrange and they just drip with chunky, crunchy, harmonic filled, singing goodness. It just make everything sound "right" or authentic with this amp. I am also using JJ's 12AX7's in the preamp. This tube combo is what should be in the amp stock.

I noticed that sometimes my YJM sounds a little dull, lacking a bit of distortion. Most of the time it sounds perfect, just the right amount of distortion and crunch. I've been thinking about some new tubes so maybe I'll give these a try after I get my new guitar. I use the boost as a subtle gain/distortion boost. I just adds that extra little boost thaI need sometimes. I have the gain set to about 10-11 o clock and the boost volume around 1-2 o clock. Give it a try for youself if you want a kind of modded plexi sound.

FennRx

Reaction score
When I want more, I use my new-to-me Bad Monkey. Instant fatty OD.