YJM100 - 'The Ultimate Plexi' thread!

• Thread starter Holme
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

indeedido

Reaction score
Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains...
You just need to find the settings that work with your guitar and pedal. When you're using pedals with the YJM you have to try different things to get them to sound good. It may be changing the EQ settings, lowering the volume or, just plugging in different ways. My fuzz pedals are pretty heavy on the bass which, is why I use channel one and set the volume around 4-7. My MXR distortion + and DOD 308 sound better when I plug into channel two and jump the top CH1 to bottom CH2 because, they have more treble to them. I usually set volume one to 2-4 and volume two around 7-9. The YJM does take pedals pretty well once you figure out the settings that you like.

Have fun experimenting with it and, don't forget to write you amp settings down and how you plugged in once you find that sweet spot. :thumb:

Thanks. What I don't like is the treble cap. Anything lower than 8 on the channel volume and any overdrive pedal sounds nasty. I'd like to clip it and then have a cleaner platform to play with.

Redstone

Reaction score
Hey guys need some opinions.. I just picked up a new yjm from a guitar center. The head is new but has been on the floor long enough to be quite dusty and to have picked up some damage to the tolex on the bottom of the head. They had agreed to sell it at 1800.00 but after I found the damage to the tolex they sold it for 1650. Does this seem like an OK deal considering the circumstances. I've noticed on posts above mine and on eBay they are pulling around 2000.00. I can't wait to get this sucker home and disturb the neighbors!

Thats a heck of a deal if you ask me! I got mine brand spakin' new for about $2000 this time last year and that was down from $2500. But all that was with tax included in the price (Thats how it works in Ireland)

Awesome deal on an awesome amp :shred::headbanger::monkey::jam::shred2::fever: :metal:

duncan11

Reaction score
Hey guys need some opinions.. I just picked up a new yjm from a guitar center. The head is new but has been on the floor long enough to be quite dusty and to have picked up some damage to the tolex on the bottom of the head. They had agreed to sell it at 1800.00 but after I found the damage to the tolex they sold it for 1650. Does this seem like an OK deal considering the circumstances. I've noticed on posts above mine and on eBay they are pulling around 2000.00. I can't wait to get this sucker home and disturb the neighbors!

That's a great bargain. Congrats and welcome to the YJM club.

I never saw a YJM in GC ever. The last 'high end' amp I saw there was the AFD100 that I purchased new off the floor in 2012, one of the last ones they had in their chain inventory. Since then, save for the 50th heads/combos it's all MG's and the low end stuff. Used they have better quality Marshall gear than new it seems.

You're gonna love this amp. Hell I sold my other AFD because I play the YJM more than I do my dual AFD setup which is a hassle to setup. It was cool to have but I'm OK with just having one of each now. :D

Redstone

Reaction score
That's a great bargain. Congrats and welcome to the YJM club.

I never saw a YJM in GC ever. The last 'high end' amp I saw there was the AFD100 that I purchased new off the floor in 2012, one of the last ones they had in their chain inventory. Since then, save for the 50th heads/combos it's all MG's and the low end stuff. Used they have better quality Marshall gear than new it seems.

You're gonna love this amp. Hell I sold my other AFD because I play the YJM more than I do my dual AFD setup which is a hassle to setup. It was cool to have but I'm OK with just having one of each now. :D

Why didn't you give me that AFD, I'd have given it a nice home, groomed it, washed it, fed it, tucked it in at night, read it a bedtime story, just like I do with my YJM

Its past 2am and I'm rambling nonsensically

Odin69

Reaction score
Thanks. What I don't like is the treble cap. Anything lower than 8 on the channel volume and any overdrive pedal sounds nasty. I'd like to clip it and then have a cleaner platform to play with.

Have you tried plugging into the bottom CH1 jack? It sounds pretty clean to me.

I noticed my YJM was sounding crappy a few weeks ago with certain pedals. I changed my preamp tubes and got the magic back. Maybe, give that a go, if you have any spare preamp tubes laying around?

Drew68

Reaction score
I never saw a YJM in GC ever.

I got mine at the GC in Jacksonville, FL. It had been languishing in their little enclosed "expensive stuff" room for a while with a $2495 price tag. I pointed out a really small tear on the bottom and the fact that someone stole the reverb knob and talked them down to a flat $2k. Now I wish I tried to wheel and deal a little more! That's OK. I still feel I got a great amp for a great price.

While I was waiting for the salesman to go find the amp cover and paperwork, some kid came in and started messing with it. I barked, "DON'T TOUCH IT!" and promptly unplugged it from the wall.

Drew68

Reaction score
Does this seem like an OK deal considering the circumstances. I've noticed on posts above mine and on eBay they are pulling around 2000.00. I can't wait to get this sucker home and disturb the neighbors!

Yeah, you got a great deal! Congrats! And you will disturb the neighbors! I took the opportunity a couple of Saturday afternoons ago with some beer in my belly to run mine dimed for a few minutes. Every knob on 10. It was awe-inspiring! Plugged in my Strat and wah pedal and broke out a little "Voodoo Chile". Just thunderous! My wife was taking the kids for a walk and could hear me all the way down our long street. And when I rolled the guitar's volume knob down a bit, it cleaned up beautifully.

Don't get me wrong. The EPA works really great but there's just nothing quite like playing these suckers loud! That's where the magic is. Unfortunately for me, I live in a quiet, residential suburb and don't want to be the "neighbor from hell" so I don't get to open it up too often.

John 14:6

Reaction score
This guy Morgan Pettersson on Youtube is quickly becoming one of my favorite players. The guy is the most impressive player I have seen in a long time, plus he plays a YJM100 and makes it just sound amazing.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PUxSpr23pQ]Morgan Pettersson 8th Live4guitar guitar contest - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWWTcHb_f3I]Testing Marshall YJM 100 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBX9apVMO2c]Dimarzio HS3 and Dimarzio YJM vs Duncan YJM Fury - YouTube[/ame]

Jackdan

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Ive owned my YJM for a bit over two months now and am overall happy with it. I found that I like plugging into the upper left (trebble) channel more so than jumping the channels if not using the boost.

The issue I have is that I love the built-in boost when channels jumped and both channel volumes dimed but hate the boost when only plugging into channel 1 - It sounds like a fuzz pedal/broken radio when I engage it. I noted that it also does this when channels jumped and both channel volumes set anywhere between 4 and 7 (in other words not dimed).

Is anyone here using the built-in boost while plugging straight into channel 1 (no jumpering)?

Is it normal for it to sound this way?

Thanks.

duncan11

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Ive owned my YJM for a bit over two months now and am overall happy with it. I found that I like plugging into the upper left (trebble) channel more so than jumping the channels if not using the boost.

The issue I have is that I love the built-in boost when channels jumped and both channel volumes dimed but hate the boost when only plugging into channel 1 - It sounds like a fuzz pedal/broken radio when I engage it. I noted that it also does this when channels jumped and both channel volumes set anywhere between 4 and 7 (in other words not dimed).

Is anyone here using the built-in boost while plugging straight into channel 1 (no jumpering)?

Thanks.

I like the blending you get when jumping the channels. Going directly into only one input I think sounds thin to me (my opinion) even when boosted or not. But since getting my magic boost pedal, i've not touched the on board boost. I channel jump but my boost in in front.

I don't dime my volumes but close, VI is 9 and VII is 8. Now before I got my magic boost pedal, I loved the on board boost, it is still pretty good and I can make it work, and it's a bad ass feature of the amp. But I have grown to prefer my new way of boosting it. I don't think at my last gig I did, it was ever switched off!

AllenCollinsExplorer

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Thanks.

Hey there, Jackdan and welcome to the YJM thread! :wave:

All I can tell you is that I mainly use it with the channels jumped. I rarely use the onboard boost as well, cause I love the ol' Plexi sound! Try to not always max both channel volumes! I like to set Vol 1 on 10 and Vol 2 on 6. Gives me the best of both worlds without being muddy or harsh! :thumb:

rmlevasseur

Reaction score
This guy Morgan Pettersson on Youtube is quickly becoming one of my favorite players. The guy is the most impressive player I have seen in a long time, plus he plays a YJM100 and makes it just sound amazing.

Morgan Pettersson 8th Live4guitar guitar contest - YouTube

Testing Marshall YJM 100 - YouTube

Dimarzio HS3 and Dimarzio YJM vs Duncan YJM Fury - YouTube

WOW that guy is good. This is not what I consider the plexi sound but he sure makes it sound great!

What is the scoop exactly on this amp now? No more being made? I'd like to play with one someday, but it aint coming to rural MN anytime soon!

Jackdan

Reaction score
Hey there, Jackdan and welcome to the YJM thread! :wave:

All I can tell you is that I mainly use it with the channels jumped. I rarely use the onboard boost as well, cause I love the ol' Plexi sound! Try to not always max both channel volumes! I like to set Vol 1 on 10 and Vol 2 on 6. Gives me the best of both worlds without being muddy or harsh! :thumb:

Thanks man!

If you set your volume 1 around 5 (midway), and you engage the on board boost, would you say it sounds a bit off, like a broken radio? (Even when jumped)

I learned so much about setting this amp up but the one thing I cant figure out is the use of the boost when using only channel 1 (upper left) or when volumes are only set midway when jumped - it just sounds bad! Is it only my YJM? Or is this standard?

AllenCollinsExplorer

Reaction score
Thanks man!

If you set your volume 1 around 5 (midway), and you engage the on board boost, would you say it sounds a bit off, like a broken radio? (Even when jumped)

I learned so much about setting this amp up but the one thing I cant figure out is the use of the boost when using only channel 1 (upper left) or when volumes are only set midway when jumped - it just sounds bad! Is it only my YJM? Or is this standard?

I have yet to hear the YJM sounding bad. I tried it with so many settings (though I still kept my regular settings in the end) and it always sounded bloody awesome! Also, which cab are ya usin'? I use a 1960AX and it sounds incredible! But I have to admit that the onboard sometimes gets too fizzy for me as well. Anyway, as far as I don't use it much, it sounds cool when playing some Whitesnake stuff! Maybe you should try dialing your settings a little more! I'am sure all of the sounds you're seeking are in your YJM. Good luck! :shred:

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Thanks man!

Using only the high treble input with the boost is very different than when jumping channels, much more trebley, try these settings...

11:00 - EPA
12:00 - Presence
12:00 - Bass
12:00 - Middle
7:00 - Treble (all the way down)
9:00 - Vol. I
12:00 - Boost Level
5:00 - Boost Volume (all the way up)

OK, using these settings, play with the Middle control without touching any of the others and see if you can find a tone you like. Alternatively, set the Middle control to 7:00 (all the way down), and play with the Treble control without touching any other controls. You can get some nice tones using this approach (or at least I can). Higher settings of Vol. I + higher settings of boost level = CRAP, they must be used to complement one another.

torqvaw

Reaction score
I got mine at the GC in Jacksonville, FL. It had been languishing in their little enclosed "expensive stuff" room for a while with a $2495 price tag. I pointed out a really small tear on the bottom and the fact that someone stole the reverb knob and talked them down to a flat $2k. Now I wish I tried to wheel and deal a little more! That's OK. I still feel I got a great amp for a great price.

While I was waiting for the salesman to go find the amp cover and paperwork, some kid came in and started messing with it. I barked, "DON'T TOUCH IT!" and promptly unplugged it from the wall.

Same deal with this amp. It was also tucked away in the "expensive stuff" room. Everything that I have ever bought new that was on the floor at GC always seem to have some type of a tolex issue. I am extremely finicky about my gear and normally would not have bought this sucker. However it sounded like the price was good and reading all of the great stuff about this amp honestly made me not really care about a tolex tear on the bottom of the amp.

Jackdan

Reaction score
Using only the high treble input with the boost is very different than when jumping channels, much more trebley, try these settings...

11:00 - EPA
12:00 - Presence
12:00 - Bass
12:00 - Middle
7:00 - Treble (all the way down)
9:00 - Vol. I
12:00 - Boost Level
5:00 - Boost Volume (all the way up)

OK, using these settings, play with the Middle control without touching any of the others and see if you can find a tone you like. Alternatively, set the Middle control to 7:00 (all the way down), and play with the Treble control without touching any other controls. You can get some nice tones using this approach (or at least I can). Higher settings of Vol. I + higher settings of boost level = CRAP, they must be used to complement one another.

I dont know man, the only good sound I get with the on board boost is when I jump the two channels and set the channel volumes above 8 (especially vol. 1). Dont get me wrong, it sounds fantastic like this but it justs reacts weird when the volumes are around 5 and the boost is engaged (or using treble channel only).

And what I mean with reacting weird is that it sounds like the bass notes is farting out and I noted that it is more evedent on the lower strings.

I just want to figure out if something is wrong regarding the boost as I might still be able to switch it for the last one in the shop where I bought it from. The shop is not close enough for me to just drive through and play their one as reference hence me asking you guys.

Im sure if this is standard on the YJMs, someone will confirm it.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I dont know man, the only good sound I get with the on board boost is when I jump the two channels and set the channel volumes above 8 (especially vol. 1). Dont get me wrong, it sounds fantastic like this but it justs reacts weird when the volumes are around 5 and the boost is engaged (or using treble channel only).

And what I mean with reacting weird is that it sounds like the bass notes is farting out and I noted that it is more evedent on the lower strings.

I just want to figure out if something is wrong regarding the boost as I might still be able to switch it for the last one in the shop where I bought it from. The shop is not close enough for me to just drive through and play their one as reference hence me asking you guys.

Im sure if this is standard on the YJMs, someone will confirm it.

Can the YJM be set to sound like crap? Absolutely, especially with the boost engaged. Bass notes "farting out" does not sound normal, but they can get flubby with gain and bass set too high. Short of doing exactly what you said (direct comparison with another YJM), it's going to be tough for anyone on a forum to diagnose if it's "normal" based on description alone. Your best bet of getting a valid answer, at least here, would be to post a clip of what you're hearing, then we may be able to tell you if it sounds normal.

Redstone

Reaction score
I had a horrible shock today! I went to play my YJM, but as I got to it my dad called for some help, so I just switched it on, set my guitars volume on 0 and went off for a few mins. I came back, turned up my guitar and Nothing! It was at this point I began to sh!t my pants and frantically tried to switch between pickups on my guitar. I leaned over the back of the amp to see if the speaker cable had popped out on the amp or cab but nope. I though I was F@%#ed. Then I spotted it.....The standby switch......
9RKJekd.png

uNlUERP.jpg

Latest posts