YJM100 - 'The Ultimate Plexi' thread!

• Thread starter Holme
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Odin69

Reaction score
I have a LP standard and a Explorer. Both sound good but, I prefer the LP more on the YJM.

duncan11

Reaction score
Out of all my les pauls I own, Goldie and the Page sound the best thru the YJM. The Beast and Shanks sound best thru the AFD. My former R9 sounded very thin thru the YJM, sorta like my Perry does but even though it's thin its not 'bad' tone, just lower output and is cleaner thru most of the volume dial on the guitar.

Redstone

Reaction score
I'm tempted to get an Angus Young pickup to replace whats in my LP. I have one in my SG and its killer. Fairly high output and a little crunchier. I'll have to swap the covers though. I might also get one of these to try out at some point.-- :: Phil X Store: Phil X Guitar Pickups :: --

I don't really fell like tearing apart my new LP just yet.

Holme

VIP Member
Reaction score
Only pick ups I've replaced is on my Zakk Wylde Epiphone!
Most reports where that the Epiphone (bearing in mind at the time was £900 & as far as I'm aware the most expensive Epiphone released!) compared to the Gibson (£4000+ at the time) was as good barring the pups!
The difference between the none actives & 81/85's is huge-plus that ZW is ALOT heavier than my Gibson standard!
That is THE loudest guitar I've got-with boomers of course!

:lol::lol::lol:

:naughty:

AllenCollinsExplorer

Reaction score
I own a Gibson Explorer, a Gibson Les Paul Junior and a Fender American 60th Anniversary Strat, which I upgraded with Texas Special Pickups. All of them sound absolutely, ****in' amazing thru the YJM. The Explorer breaks up really early, since it has very high output pickups, but yet still retains that classic Super Lead tone, the Junior has got a P90 in there, which absolutely smokes, doesn't break up as early as the Explorer, wouldn't call it better sounding, just "different". The Strat is like, well... a Strat. It's mostly clean when unboosted unless you hit it really hard. It really sounds like Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan but I also got some nice David Gilmour tones out of there. When boosted, it sounds just like Yngwie. I personally prefer my Explorer over anything (probably because it's my favorite guitar, lol) but the others sound just as awesome and I can't wait to try other guitars through it as well. I've recently been playing a Gibson Gary Moore Tribute Les Paul which I'am highly likely going to buy very soon. Here's a little clip that I made with a friend of mine. We visited a big musicstore (it's actually called MUSICSTORE as well, lol) and I played it. The amp was not a very good one, a really affordable tube amp but it still sounded awesome. I'am just thinking about how it would've sounded like thru the YJM :hmm: If you're interested, here's the link of the video. Note that I'am also gonna upload one of this guitar through the YJM, as soon as I get it. Stay tuned! :wave:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHnRHHfnDLc&feature=c4-overview&list=UUdizxKB7y5WuvggVcSaT6uQ]Blues Jam! :) - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

StuartC

Reaction score
Hi!
Completely forgotten that I was already registered on here but read all 113(!) pages on this thread.
I was lucky enough to stumble across a YJM on eBay a couple of weeks ago......boxed and mint, but missing all the paperwork, patch lead and footswitch......but got it for an absolute steal at £849!!!!!!
Managed to get the last YJM footswitch that Marshall had at the factory but it was £100......and doesn't work properly. Reverb and Loop don't work at all, and Boost and Gate work the opposite of what they should. It went back today.
Anyway, love the amp it's a great partner to my AFD100.

Holme

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi!
Completely forgotten that I was already registered on here but read all 113(!) pages on this thread.
I was lucky enough to stumble across a YJM on eBay a couple of weeks ago......boxed and mint, but missing all the paperwork, patch lead and footswitch......but got it for an absolute steal at £849!!!!!!
Managed to get the last YJM footswitch that Marshall had at the factory but it was £100......and doesn't work properly. Reverb and Loop don't work at all, and Boost and Gate work the opposite of what they should. It went back today.
Anyway, love the amp it's a great partner to my AFD100.

:wave:

Congrats & Welcome!

:fever:

StuartC

Reaction score
Thanks, now just need to sell my Orange AD30HTC, sounds superb, but can't keep it.

Holme

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey do you think Marshall will send Michael a free 1 watter for advertising?!

969799_10201081180305249_240274516_n.jpg

944594_10201081179705234_709116711_n.jpg

Nah me neither!

:lol::lol::lol:

:cool:

JimiRules

Reaction score
Anyone else with a YJM have an SG and Les Paul? Which do you find yourself preferring in term of sound? I actually prefer my SG paired with my YJM. If only it had a fat neck like my Lester :lol:

I have a Gibson SG standard and I have one of these bad boys on the way.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plustop PRO (Vintage Sunburst) | Sweetwater.com

I agree with arock, my SG breaks up very early on my YJM, but unboosted I can adjust it with my picking style. I like that it's not completely clean or over driven. Its that "in between" sound. When I need something that's totally clean I break out one of my Strats. That's what I like about the YJM. Each guitar shows its true character. I've had other amps where it totally sounded the same no matter what guitar you used.

Last edited:

Redstone

Reaction score
I was comparing my Digitech Bad Monkey to the boost in the my YJM today. I set the boost gain at around 10 o clock and the boost volume at around 1-2 o clock as usual and tried to replicate it with the bad monkey. I failed. I got close enough, but they have two very different characteristics to them. I actually think I prefer the boost built into the YJM. Both together is like the YJM with the gain up pretty high. I think I might try maxing the gain on both and seeing what happens. Good thing the amp has a gate build in :lol:

Redstone

Reaction score
Ok, my last idea was a bad one. TOO MUCH GAIN! There was enough gain to kill someone when both the Bad Monkey and the YJMs boost are maxed out!

JimiRules

Reaction score
I was comparing my Digitech Bad Monkey to the boost in the my YJM today. I set the boost gain at around 10 o clock and the boost volume at around 1-2 o clock as usual and tried to replicate it with the bad monkey. I failed. I got close enough, but they have two very different characteristics to them. I actually think I prefer the boost built into the YJM. Both together is like the YJM with the gain up pretty high. I think I might try maxing the gain on both and seeing what happens. Good thing the amp has a gate build in :lol:

Get a good clean boost pedal. I tried my bad bob boost with it and it was like it was made for the YJM. It is nice that the amp has its own built in boost though. Its always good to have different options at your disposal.

Redstone

Reaction score
Get a good clean boost pedal. I tried my bad bob boost with it and it was like it was made for the YJM. It is nice that the amp has its own built in boost though. Its always good to have different options at your disposal.

I use the built in boost a bit like a clean boost. Gain set very low or off sometimes and the volume about 2/3 the way up. It ads a tiny bit of extra bite to my sound.

duncan11

Reaction score
I use the built in boost a bit like a clean boost. Gain set very low or off sometimes and the volume about 2/3 the way up. It ads a tiny bit of extra bite to my sound.

try one of these-

xotic-ep-boost.jpg

It's what I use on my YJM. Since getting it, I've not even engaged the on board boost anymore. The soundcloud recordings I've done are ALL with the EP, and vids from my last gig I posted, same thing. In fact it was never turned OFF at the last gig!

Redstone

Reaction score
try one of these-

xotic-ep-boost.jpg

It's what I use on my YJM. Since getting it, I've not even engaged the on board boost anymore. The soundcloud recordings I've done are ALL with the EP, and vids from my last gig I posted, same thing. In fact it was never turned OFF at the last gig!

I really really really really really....*1,000,000 really's layer*....really want one, but I've heard that they add a lot of extra volume to the YJM. I like my YJM around 9 o clock on the EPA, sometimes even in 50W mode, so I can't really afford it to get too loud. My Bad Monkey seems to add a lot of volume when run through the loop of my YJM, but not so much through the front of the amp. Is this the same with the EP booster?

If you wouldn't mind doing me a favor, I'd really appreciate it, but only if the EP booster adds volume when put through the front of the amp. If you could give the set your EPA to the minimum on 100W and use the EP booster with it and compare it to just the YJM on the first volume jump on the EPA (just a bit above 9 o clock). If they are roughly the same, I might give the EP a go.

duncan11

Reaction score
I really really really really really....*1,000,000 really's layer*....really want one, but I've heard that they add a lot of extra volume to the YJM. I like my YJM around 9 o clock on the EPA, sometimes even in 50W mode, so I can't really afford it to get too loud. My Bad Monkey seems to add a lot of volume when run through the loop of my YJM, but not so much through the front of the amp. Is this the same with the EP booster?

If you wouldn't mind doing me a favor, I'd really appreciate it, but only if the EP booster adds volume when put through the front of the amp. If you could give the set your EPA to the minimum on 100W and use the EP booster with it and compare it to just the YJM on the first volume jump on the EPA (just a bit above 9 o clock). If they are roughly the same, I might give the EP a go.

Because I run my V1 and VII pretty high up, running the amp at 100w is not an option :D. That's not my EP setting, just one I found on the net.

I will put my EP on around 11 or Noon setting, if I go more it does add more volume and then starts to add some gain.

and my signal chain goes:

Guitar-EP-Amp-channel1, jumpered.

V1 9
VII 8

Power 9-11 oclock

guitar vol on 9 or 10 depending.

It definetly adds some volume and thickens things up. I have a vid of me playing Hideaway and I take the EP off. My Power setting is in the 9 to 11oclock range in this video-

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GolG5XJtxkg]EP boost with YJM and Goldie - YouTube[/ame]

EP off at :40 back on at 1:35

Latest posts