YJM100 - 'The Ultimate Plexi' thread!

• Thread starter Holme
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

duncan11

Reaction score
There is a beautiful 1952 conversion LP on ebay, but at €22,000 I don't think I'll be picking it up any time soon :lol:

1952 Gibson Les Paul "1959 Burst Conversion" GIE0038 | eBay

That thing cost more than all 3 of my main guitars. I still haven't added a Strat to my collection. My 2204 still isn't fixed, so I can't sell it yet.

Q0DlOH1l.jpg

CR5Y4rUl.png

RyMYc5Il.jpg

Is that a 68 reissue SG? Nice.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

dash8311

Reaction score
I thought those Angus models were black for some reason. I knew he is normally associated with the late 60s SGs.

Gibson USA AY SG for the first couple years: cherry

Gibson Custom Shop AY SG, thunderbolt inlays, signed and played, aged: cherry

Gibson USA AY SG, thunderbolt inlays: black

(As far as I know numerous versions of the AY guitar, Custom Shop or USA shop built, and of course I await to be corrected!)

Redstone

Reaction score
I thought those Angus models were black for some reason. I knew he is normally associated with the late 60s SGs.

The newer ones with the lightning Inlays are mostly black, although you can see a hint of a wine-ish red come through some of them in the right light.

The older ones (like mine) were supposed to be a very dark red/brown colour. some of them were almost black, others were practically cherry red.

Here is a pic of a 2001 model thats for sale near me.
angus7.jpg

Here is one currently on ebay.
$_12.JPG

SoloDallas

Reaction score
Yep basically three models of the AY. All good. The first one came out in the 2000s I think, and they were a mixture of features of a late 1960s style Gibson SG Standard in dark cherry and an early 1970s one (be noted, shallow bevelling on the horns, etc.). Great guitar, really superb. Features the great Gibson Angus Young signature pickup. Had one and sold it because it was basically very similar to my original old ones. Recommended purchase, always.

Then, this was discontinued and two more (models) were made. A custom shop one and a USA standard.
The custom shop model was split in two versions itself, the relic'd and signed one in a very dark cherry, only 50 made (I got number 37) and a VOS one (in the 300 numbers I seem to remember). Both of these came with a weird Seymour Dancan pickup, a modification of the Pearly Gates, modelled after an original PAF. Never liked this pickup. These guitars are shaped exactly - and I mean, I was astonished when I tried Angus' own original, as it felt astonishingly identical in feel, weight etc.- to Angus' original that I played for a while a month ago. Angus had told me they were copied, and precisely Gibson had scanned electronically Angus' guitar and replicated it. So these are exact replicas, not simply "inspired by" (laughs).

Then we have the USA standard, comes in black, similar size, standard construction, small pickuard and AY sig Gibson bridge pickup.

Adding a few pics of mine for reference.

Angus Young second variation, custom shop, dark cherry, number 37, next to a couple originals ('68 on top, 1970 bottom)
CH6D0170 by SoloDallas, on Flickr

My number 37

CH6D9199 by SoloDallas, on Flickr

Angus' signature on mine

CH6D9200 by SoloDallas, on Flickr

The 50 guitars being played and signed by Angus.

205__1024x768_1116200925815pm-ang11-2.jpg

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Yep basically three models of the AY. All good. The first one came out in the 2000s I think, and they were a mixture of features of a late 1960s style Gibson SG Standard in dark cherry and an early 1970s one (be noted, shallow bevelling on the horns, etc.). Great guitar, really superb. Features the great Gibson Angus Young signature pickup. Had one and sold it because it was basically very similar to my original old ones. Recommended purchase, always.

Then, this was discontinued and two more (models) were made. A custom shop one and a USA standard.
The custom shop model was split in two versions itself, the relic'd and signed one in a very dark cherry, only 50 made (I got number 37) and a VOS one (in the 300 numbers I seem to remember). Both of these came with a weird Seymour Dancan pickup, a modification of the Pearly Gates, modelled after an original PAF. Never liked this pickup. These guitars are shaped exactly - and I mean, I was astonished when I tried Angus' own original, as it felt astonishingly identical in feel, weight etc.- to Angus' original that I played for a while a month ago. Angus had told me they were copied, and precisely Gibson had scanned electronically Angus' guitar and replicated it. So these are exact replicas, not simply "inspired by" (laughs).

Then we have the USA standard, comes in black, similar size, standard construction, small pickuard and AY sig Gibson bridge pickup.

Thanks SD, very interesting. How would you compare the AY sig pickup to the 57 Classic bridge for playing ACDC? I seem to remember you doing a comparison, but I don't remember your conclusion.

SoloDallas

Reaction score
Thanks SD, very interesting. How would you compare the AY sig pickup to the 57 Classic bridge for playing ACDC? I seem to remember you doing a comparison, but I don't remember your conclusion.

Not with the classic '57, never had any.
IF I may suggest one pickup, that would be the Manlius t-top. Best replica of a great sounding t-top I have ever owned.

AllenCollinsExplorer

Reaction score
Every time I see a 1959 used live my heart is filled with joy.
Say "no" to 5 gain stages amps, let's get back to great "natural" sounding amps!

Thank you so very much! Finally someone, who shares my opinion! A Super Lead doesn't only sound better, it's also as reliable most of the time, since it takes pedals very well (though I don't use alot) plus it looks a thousand times better!

:hbang:

SoloDallas

Reaction score
ACE,
you kidding? THESE are my favourite amps. Always been. These, 1987s, JTMs, etc.
The most modern amp I have is a 2203 from 1979 :lol:

It would bring "driven guitar" music back to musical audibility. Beautifully sounding stuff; skilfully played crafts of human touch.

But I digress; at 46, I am a self declared old fart (but I work out lots though!) :cool:

olirc7usa

Reaction score
Hello

just recording with my YJM100 and TORPEDO LIVE

torpedo.jpg

i'm enjoying all these '80 hard rock sounds with my YJM... BUT sometime i would like to add an extreme distortion pedal in front of it for my 7 strings guitar...

anybody has tried a metal distortion in front of the yjm ?

(i have already tried a wampler triple wreck, but i was not satisfied)

i'm looking for a empress heavy ... or similar.... ?

thanks

66 galaxie

VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe try a Bogner Red pedal.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EC9In6hXhI]Bogner Ecstasy Red pedal demo - YouTube[/ame]

Odin69

Reaction score
Hello...anybody has tried a metal distortion in front of the yjm ?

(i have already tried a wampler triple wreck, but i was not satisfied)

i'm looking for a empress heavy ... or similar.... ?

thanks

Yes. I use a Electro Harmonix - Metal Muff Nano once in awhile. It sounds pretty great boosted with a Suhr - Koko Boost. I just ordered a Suhr - Riot Reloaded and can't wait to give it a try too. I hope to have it before the weekend? I'll post again after I've had a few days with it.

You mentioned the Wampler - Triple Wreck, have you tried the Sovereign? It sounds pretty nice from some of the YT demos I've seen.

AllenCollinsExplorer

Reaction score
How does the xotic EP Booster sound like with the YJM? As I said, I'am looking for a clean boost for my solos, that doesn't change the tone of my amp that much, it should just make it louder. I've heard that it's based on the old Echoplex, which I love, so should I give it a try?

Tiboy

Reaction score
I cannot speak to the YJM, but my PT100 and VM like the EP. I think the EP adds more than just a volume boost. What it adds I like. The Suhr Koko Boost in green mode is an excellent clean boost, but you pay a premium for it.

Odin69

Reaction score
The EP booster sounds great with the YJM as does the Koko boost. If you have the cash I'd recommend the Koko boost. That doesn't mean that the ep isn't as good as the koko. The koko just has the added function of a seperate mid-boost section.